Got Tongue?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I've eaten about everything there is to eat from grasshoppers to chitlins and haven't found much I don't like. This weekend we slaughtered a calf and the butcher told me he thought the tongue and heart were the best meat there was on a cow. I tried both and didn't find them to appealling. Seemed a bit liverishy to me and with a funky texture that didn't quite do it. Have you ever eaten the tongue or heart? If it was good to you, how did you cook it?

I like the heart stuffed and baked. Tongue...boil to loosten the "skin" and well...skin. I treat the meat like a lunch meat but is good used in a spread.
Sweetbreads....fry like breaded oysters and eat with lemon, great eating.
Dave Mc

sliced heart thin and dredged in flour then fried is pretty good. Evil step dad made me take a bite of beef tongue once...after he cleaned up the mess on the table I had potatoes for dinner :shock:

P.S. Step dad really isnt evil but when your 8 years old and he is making you eat an animals tongue that you know was in its nose at some point, well yes he is evil then!

I ate tongue once. It wasn;t peeled and I swear it was licking me as I chewed it.

Jogeephus":wf5hcziz said:
I've eaten about everything there is to eat from grasshoppers to chitlins and haven't found much I don't like. This weekend we slaughtered a calf and the butcher told me he thought the tongue and heart were the best meat there was on a cow. I tried both and didn't find them to appealling. Seemed a bit liverishy to me and with a funky texture that didn't quite do it. Have you ever eaten the tongue or heart? If it was good to you, how did you cook it?
I've eaten both. Tongue I could do without, Cleaned well and skinned in the right hands makes a very good gravy, I just don't like the way it chews. Now dice up a beef heart with beef kidney with some smoked sausage, season well. Brown with onions and garlic, grab a beer, put it on drink, then add water and let cook down on medium heat for about an hour or until tender, I'll be at your house for supper. That's good stuff, unless you have gout.

Liver is as far as I can go. I like liver a lot. I just remember the dogs fighting over beef tougue and it was all slimey looking and thirty feet long... I keep imagining it singing to me.

dun":2jgqhupc said:
Lammie":2jgqhupc said:
I keep imagining it singing to me.
I want some of whatever you've been smoking!

Now, Dun. As an educator, it is my duty to have a clear head at all times. Besides, you can't look at a detached beef tongue without imagining it going, "La, la, la..." :lol: I think I might have seen that in a cartoon once as a kid and it stuck with me.

Growing up on a two horse farm we butchered most of the meat we ate. I remember that hog tongue was mighty good. There wasn't much of a hog that went to waste. Dad use to joke that the only thing we didn't use was the squeel. sp Can't remember eating beef tongue.
Fred

What about chicken feet? One of the local grocery stores sells them. No, i don,t eat them or tongue.

Back home Mom always cooked up the heart and tongue, most of the time put it in some pickling brine.
Hog tongue, heart and liver She ground and made sausage, not bad we loved the stuff.
That kind of cooking seems to be a lost art, I wonder what would happen if I brought home a hog tongue for the Boss to cook up.
vomit-smiley-011.gif

Jo, I have had both and I will never again. Now, I have had mountain oysters and battered and fried I thought they were pretty good. Then again it could have been the beer. :lol2:

curtis":3annew9g said:
What about chicken feet? One of the local grocery stores sells them. No, i don,t eat them or tongue.

I loved them as a kid. We used to fight over them at the table.

dun":2hlzpii5 said:
curtis":2hlzpii5 said:

Do you eat the toe nails and everything? I was having this conversation with someone last week, and neigher of us knew. There just can't be much to one of those. How does one prepare chicken feet?

flaboy":1pr32le8 said:
Jo, I have had both and I will never again. Now, I have had mountain oysters and battered and fried I thought they were pretty good. Then again it could have been the beer. :lol2:
It all depends how it's cooked. A pot of chicken butts cooked the right way is probably good.
Never had mountain oysters, just a mental thing I guess.

jfont":3a3ymvcr said:
flaboy":3a3ymvcr said:
It all depends how it's cooked. A pot of chicken butts cooked the right way is probably good.
Never had mountain oysters, just a mental thing I guess.

I think the secret is in knowing how to cook it. I don't think I did a good job of it. I mean it was OK but I don't think I'll go to the trouble again unless I can learn how to do it right. Kinda like chitlins. I ate some once that would have made you slap your grandmother. Second time I ate them I almost puked.

Lammie":1dgpjkws said:
dun":1dgpjkws said:
curtis":1dgpjkws said:

Do you eat the toe nails and everything? I was having this conversation with someone last week, and neigher of us knew. There just can't be much to one of those. How does one prepare chicken feet?

No toenaails, you peel them and the toenails come off with the hardish skin. Then you gnaw on the gristle. We had them as part of the weekly chicken soup

I believe our leading ag export to China is chicken feet. Maybe it is our leading animal product export to China. I'm told they are a popular "happy hour" treat in the bars. Fried.

Latest posts