Got Tongue?

Help Support CattleToday:

Here's a recipe that was handed down to me, as far as I can remember I used to eat it as a kid, but haven't had any for years. The only hearts I like are Lambs hearts stuffed with sage and onion stuffing mix. and braised for hours until real tender, served with mashed potatoes and garden peas.

Ingredients
1 Beef tongue
1/2 cup Vinegar
1/2 cup Sugar
1 Tbsp. Cornstarch, (or flour)
1 cup Raisins
1 Bay leaf
Salt and Pepper to taste
Note: I like to add at least 3-4 garlic cloves as well as large chunks of celery, carrot and onion to the pot.

Directions
Put the tongue into a pot with the bay leaf and cover with water.
Bring to a low boil and simmer for about 3 hours, skimming off any scum that may rise to the top.
Remove the tongue and skin it. Keep the tongue warm while making the sauce.
Boil the water that the tongue was cooked in, reducing it to about 1 cup.
Add the vinegar and the sugar, and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
Add the raisins, and taste the sauce, adjusting the sugar and vinegar.
Dissolve the cornstarch (or flour) in some water, bring the sauce to the boil, and add the thickener.
Slice the tongue fairly thinly, and spoon some sauce over it to serve.

TNMasterBeefProducer":20fm2xlh said:
Taint never fully eaten either. I have tasted and dont like em.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Well put and I agree. Someone told me when you eat it you should just lay back and relax and let the cow tongue do all the tasting for you.
:lol2: :lol:

Best sandwich I've EVER eatin was at the New York Deli in NYC...chopped liver and tongue sandwich. Don't like liver at all but this sandwich was terrific!

My daughter just told me a funny story envolving beef tongue last night. She went to the Remittal sale and got home last night. She was telling about leaving Sunday night and saying goodbye's to Bryan Latimer and others. She was with Ian Harvie and he asked what the ring was on Bryan's finger. He said it was Bobby's Stanley Cup ring he had worn it for luck. I asked if she had talked to Bobby and she said no they said he was at the grill frying tongue and she didn't want any part of it. I had to explain to her that she passed the opportunity to speak to one of the greatest hockey players ever, Bobby Hull, and she missed it because of tongue. She had no idea who Bobby Hull was. Something to do with being 17 and growing up in football country I guess.

Latest posts