Got my a$$ kicked Saturday...

Help Support CattleToday:

melking

Reaction score
I stepped into the middle of a 5 dog fight. 4 curs were attacking a beagle. the beagle was giving it his best but it didn't look good for him so I jumped right in. One broken finger, on hole in my elbow, numerous scrapes and bites and $500.00 later, the beagle will be okay and I can barely move. I will not make that mistake again. I noticed in another thread someone asked why carry a pocket pistol? I just might start.

Those 4 curs would be enough for me to not get involved.. but I understand u trying to save the beagle. Too bad a water hose wasnt available..

My weekend was okay. Now I am thinking I had a great weekend after hearing your story.

melking":15c7jo77 said:
I stepped into the middle of a 5 dog fight. 4 curs were attacking a beagle. the beagle was giving it his best but it didn't look good for him so I jumped right in. One broken finger, on hole in my elbow, numerous scrapes and bites and $500.00 later, the beagle will be okay and I can barely move. I will not make that mistake again. I noticed in another thread someone asked why carry a pocket pistol? I just might start.

While I have done my fair share of dog population reduction - in this case your story reminded me of an old saying that I am sure I will not get completely correct.

"Any man or woman that cannot show a little compassion to a dog when that dog is in need is not worth having as a friend"

In my eyes you did good

Well done friend

Bez

I am the one who asked why carry, my reason for asking was by making an instant decision ,what the results would be, if this occured in a neighborhood and you pulled a gun and started shooting dogs ,where would you be now, probably all over the national left wing news as a radical and costing you a lot more than $500 and maybe jail time, The news media is rough on any cops that shoot dogs in our area and they are lucky if they do not loose their jobs. No taking sides just stating facts, our society is changing and sometimes for the worst.

Your in left field Cowboy. He's lucky to not be chewed up and stretched out worse than he is now. If those dogs were pit bulls he would of needed some real help. Myself I don't give to poops about pita or anyone else when I feel the need to protect myself.
Melking, I am glad you didn't get chewed up any worse.

He wasn't being attacked , his quote ( I stepped into the middle of a dog fight ) the way it read wasn't even his dog. I don't care about peta either , what I am saying if he started shooting and the bullet hit a bystander where would he be now.

Limomike":1m6thnah said:
Those 4 curs would be enough for me to not get involved.. but I understand u trying to save the beagle. Too bad a water hose wasnt available..

Its amazing how fast some cold water will cool off a dog fight.

Jogeephus":1c312d2t said:
Limomike":1c312d2t said:

Its amazing how fast some cold water will cool off a dog fight.
OR a canine love affair. :heart: :shock:

DO NOTreach into a dogfight!! Grag a tail,spin and throw.. If they happen to hit a fencepost or a parked car,oops,bad aim. Had to do that when a big dog attacked a girl's Seeing Eye Dog. Yes,that is true and I was much younger. and the bad dog weighed about 75lb

Mel, Glad you are ok. I would not have known what to do either. Glad I read this. The neighbors big lab at the farm still thinks he owns the barn and when Blue goes in the barn with me, it looks like they are going to fight but I have scolded them both and they calm down.

cowboy43":2wis0as7 said:
I am the one who asked why carry, my reason for asking was by making an instant decision ,what the results would be, if this occured in a neighborhood and you pulled a gun and started shooting dogs ,where would you be now, probably all over the national left wing news as a radical and costing you a lot more than $500 and maybe jail time, The news media is rough on any cops that shoot dogs in our area and they are lucky if they do not loose their jobs. No taking sides just stating facts, our society is changing and sometimes for the worst.

Don't know what the law is in your state but in Maine if a dog is damaging your property, family, or animals you can shoot it where it stands. We had a dog come on the farm and kill my daughter in laws pet duck and some laying hens a couple years ago. Shot it in the neck with a .22 and it took off. We called animal control and they checked all the vets around. The owner brought the dog to a vet the next day. He not only had to pay his vet bill but had to pay us for our livestock too.

Let me back up with my statements, It would depend if you were on your own property , in the country versus city, it was not specified whose dogs they were or the location .I may have misunderstood what he meant, I read it as he just jumped in the middle of a dog fight and came out the looser. I agree if this was your dog on your property you could take drastic actions, but if you are in a neighbor hood walking down the street you just don't want to start shootin into a pack of fightin dogs , May be he can clerify what the conditions were. :

Didn't have a shovel, hammer or good stick around? I would have killed those four curs! :deadhorse:
I'm glad you saved the beagle!

Some of those dam dogs are fast enough to dodge any kind of a stick you try to hit them with.
They can be a vexation. That spray stuff might work- post office people carry it. It is quieter than a firearm.

Thanks everyone for the best wishes. It happened way up in the corner of a 20 acre woods. No water. I have read some since, and it really does look like I might have made it worse in the way I handled it. Everything suggests absolute calm and strong nudges (with a boot, but not a kick) under the ribs. Hopefully I will not ever have to find out if the calm thing works.

I learned pretty early on not to stick my hand in a dog fight.....
I make enough noise to make em scared of me....I have a talent at that.....
and if necessary boot em apart....I usually wear boots so less chance of a bad bite.....but if dogs are really fighting I don't think nudging would work.....a lot of them even if you kicked hard enough to hurt em they still jump back in the fight.....

Latest posts