Got Milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

Appytrails

Reaction score
Hello!
In your opinion, what is the best cow for milking. this isn't for mass milking or anything, just one cow. I have been told holsteins are the most common, but does that mean they are the best???

Thanks!

There are several breeds. I have a friend who has milking short horn and Jersey. They both do well. At one time my granddad has a herford he milked :D. I would probably reccomend the short horn though. Great temperment.

If you're looking to milk a dairy cow and have a bunvh of kids, I'ld say Jersey. For a beef cow Shorthorn or Angus, with maybe a vote for Hereford if you're looking at smaller quantities of milk. Unless you get one of the real heavy milking lines of Hereford of course.

dun

Depending on how much milk you want, you might look at a Dexter (about one-two gal. a day). We don't milk ours, but I'm beginning to think we should start because so many people ask us about a family milk cow...just not enough time in my day to do that too (maybe when I "retire" ????)......most Dexters have horns, which puts some people off, but they are smaller than Jerseys and Holsteins, fairly easy keepers, real good mothers, and, I gotta say, the beef is terrific! We're eating our first steer now, excellent!

I prefer Jersey's.. primarily because they usually are quiet and easy to be around, plus smaller in size than a Holstein. Temperment is very important if you're planning on milking one regularly!

Most people these days don't care for "milk" straight from the cow. The milk fat is so much higher than even the "whole" milk you get in the stores not to mention the 1 -2 % blinky stuff that "they" tell you is so good for you.

;-)

Latest posts