got me to thinking

Help Support CattleToday:

Both my wife and I have made plans to be cremated, mixed with concrete form into a reef ball, and dropped into the ocean. Family will have the gps coordinates and be able to catch fish off us for as long as they wish. Followed by a good ol Irish wake.

Nesikep":1mkty7n9 said:
I actually have my own backhoe... If I start feeling too bad, I'll fire it up myself.. backfilling will be up to someone else though.

As for services, I hate "official" stuff.. you want to remember me, have one person phone the next guy I knew, and have a drink at the bar, play some pool, and talk about cars, trucks, and cattle and the stupid crap I've done..

They roasted me pretty good back on my 50th birthday. I had forgotten some of the things I had done. Funny what people remember about you.

My wife wants a traditional funeral.. me? I dont care.. would really rather be cremated and no service, as to not put her through the expense of it all and the anguish. I have been to too many funerals where its just miserable outside for the family and friends.. and all for what?

Hook":272ogevf said:
Both my wife and I have made plans to be cremated, mixed with concrete form into a reef ball, and dropped into the ocean. Family will have the gps coordinates and be able to catch fish off us for as long as they wish. Followed by a good ol Irish wake.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Better check on it Hook. Permits from gov't may cost more than a funeral with a marching band and paid mourners.

TexasBred":1tdbfy98 said:
Hook":1tdbfy98 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Better check on it Hook. Permits from gov't may cost more than a funeral with a marching band and paid mourners.
Permit... Wth is that? I got plenty of friends with boats capable of handling a 300 lb concrete ball

I keep getting offers to win a free cremation.... :???: . I haven't entered,'cause I don't know when I'd expect to pick it up :lol2:

MY sister has instructions to sit her up in a chair for 3 days before they take her off, just in case she wakes up.

My step father's mom has already ask him and his brother to sit up with her all night when she dies. That seems so dumb to me, the soul is gone as soon as you take your last breathe.

Calhoun Farm":31wdsqrh said:
My step father's mom has already ask him and his brother to sit up with her all night when she dies. That seems so dumb to me, the soul is gone as soon as you take your last breathe.
Right, what go's in the ground don't mean nothing, but I still ain't gonna be burnt.

Cremation for me. I do want a headstone and the urn buried. I don't want somebody to have to keep up with the dang thing. Only reason for a headstone is majority of the family is buried in one plot and I want one by my grandparents. Funeral is fine but no graveside and no casket, just a picture on a table is fine. Dang sure no playing Amazing Grace either, great song but I hate it come funeral time.

Hook":3dvwvlnb said:
TexasBred":3dvwvlnb said:
Hook":3dvwvlnb said:
Permit... Wth is that? I got plenty of friends with boats capable of handling a 300 lb concrete ball
I led a pack trip one time full of city guys who were really insistent on going over Blackrock Pass (in Sequoia NP) but really didn't have a care in the world other than that. Once I got them to the top and figured out why they were there, I understood. That night they told me that they were sorry that they had drug me into something illegal and would be happy to pay any fines I faced and would not hold a grudge when I told the rangers what happened... I shook hand with all of them and told them that I hoped I had family like that when it was my turn and I made sure they saw the same wonders that their dad/uncle had witnessed for the rest of the trip.

Personally, I hope there's nothing to find when I go. I hope I die at the ranch doing what I love and just don't come home one day. I would prefer that the coyotes, lions, bears, eagles, buzzards get their fill before the pigs get there, but other than that I'm simple. After seeing cow carcasses disapear in 48 hours, I don't thing it's to far of a stretch for me to do the same when it comes time.

I'll be cremated. Would hate to put the wife thru the embarrassment of hiring Pall Bearers.
On a serious note. Strange how topics like this come up. Lost a stepson 24th of last month. We went this afternoon to purchase his headstone.The lady offered us such a good deal we bought ours while there.

fitz

We have a cemetery on one farm that I rent that that belongs to family friends and our ground is all around theirs. It dates way back into the 1800's
We buried my daddy there a few years ago and the rest of us will be there. I dug the grave myself with my backhoe, maybe one of my boys will dig mine.

jedstivers":lbs85yck said:
We have a cemetery on one farm that I rent that that belongs to family friends and our ground is all around theirs. It dates way back into the 1800's
We buried my daddy there a few years ago and the rest of us will be there. I dug the grave myself with my backhoe, maybe one of my boys will dig mine.
Dang. My hats off to you.
Fitz, I was a pallbearer for my grandpa and it was an honor. The firstborn grandchild of each of his children were asked. Not one turned it down

After being a part of several funerals through out my life and seeing all the 'crap' people do to the graves not to mention the cost..my parents services cost 10k each...I decided I wanted to cremated and tossed into the ocean off Hollywood beach here in Florida, I don't like cemeteries to begin with. Here its .. let's see how many we can pile on top of each other before we rub out of room.. no thanks .. my parents are in a double plot i guess is what its called..mom went first and is on the bottom.. then when dad passed they opened up the grave and placed his casket on top of hers. That was in 09 and I haven't been back nor will I go . I prefer to remember how they were on this earth. I picked that beach because it is my favorite and I had a lot of happy times there and this way when someone wants to pay their respects they can sit at the table outside Nicks' Restaurant and have a cold one on me while I wave :) money should be spent on the living... and knowing my luck I'd wind up in the ocean anyway because of global warming. Like the cemetery that slid into the Mississippi.. caskets floating down to the gulf. Oh and I have picked two songs so far I want played and they are "another one bites the dust" by Queen and "ding dong the witches dead" from the Wizard of Oz.. lol with a different word for witch of course.. Everyone has their reasons for wanting what they want in the end. Just hope the people around respect those wishes .. big hugs

Had Mom cremated and a celebration of life party. We took her remains and spread them out in sailfish alley off Stuart FL. At the 43105.5 in 125 feet of water.That's what she wanted. For me it really doesn't matter how. But hopefully I will end up in the backyard by the deer feeder.

Latest posts