Got hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Play on words off the old " got milk" ads
Stuffed 30 some odd rolls of coastal into the barn. The guy across from one of the lease properties asked me if I knew a custom cutter for a couple fields he has close to my house and I do. So I have him the contact info. And I told him I would buy all the coastal he would sell me if the price was good. He says 25/roll. Sold.
So he's happy, the cutter is happy( cut on shares, hay is short this year) and I'm happy.
photo-162.jpg

Haha. Used the pallet forks on the bucket because my spear broke ( never knew you could break a spear). A couple rolls fell off the top row and backwards when they settled
At least it's under cover. :lol:

TexasBred":25dfjqp6 said:
Looks good buddy...now if you can just learn to stack it. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
:lol: looks like you shot it in there with a double barrel hay gun. Glad you got the hay, sounds like a great deal.

Isomade":22n3i5ej said:
TexasBred":22n3i5ej said:
:lol: looks like you shot it in there with a double barrel hay gun. Glad you got the hay, sounds like a great deal.
:lol: :lol:
If I made a hay gun I'm sure I could find a few buyers in Texas and Ok :mrgreen:

hooknline":17oyg32e said:
Haha. Used the pallet forks on the bucket because my spear broke ( never knew you could break a spear). A couple rolls fell off the top row and backwards when they settled

Hook if you're like me you can always find a way to screw up something. No matter how simple it might appear.....make it hard!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol2:

Hook,
do you really need hay in central FL,is it possible to make the winter on grass alone, I am way SW of you and was wondering if I could make it through the winter , without hay.
Ike.

For you, if you kept your stocking rate low and plant a winter forage..you sure could get by without hay. We get, normally, enough frost and freeze to knock all but the hardiest of summer forage back to nothing. And that's we're I'm learning more and more about browsing.
This year the rye grass has knocked my hay need down to 1/3 on what it normally would be this time of year. But this year ain't normal

TexasBred":1jf6stpj said:

My thought exactally. :lol2: Classes on stacking will be next May in the western tip of Virginia. Will charge a small fee for the opportunity to learn. :lol:

kenny thomas":27i47ve7 said:
TexasBred":27i47ve7 said:

My thought exactally. :lol2: Lessions on stacking will be next May in the western tip of Virginia. Will charge a small fee for the lessions. :lol:
make it next fall following gator season. I'll treat you to some gator hunts and you treat dead eye to some deer hunts

hooknline":2u7512ix said:
kenny thomas":2u7512ix said:
TexasBred":2u7512ix said:

My thought exactally. :lol2: Lessions on stacking will be next May in the western tip of Virginia. Will charge a small fee for the lessions. :lol:
make it next fall following gator season. I'll treat you to some gator hunts and you treat dead eye to some deer hunts
I dont do fall hay and dead eye will have to shoot elk instead. is that ok? :lol2:

TexasBred":2639yhs4 said:
hooknline":2639yhs4 said:

Hook if you're like me you can always find a way to screw up something. No matter how simple it might appear.....make it hard!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol2:
Teach me something:
You guys tell me how to stack it better and where I went wrong. I want to learn. Seriously
Besides the 2-3 tops rolls that fell off to the backside :bang:

Since its inside turn the bottom row and the second row on their end. That way you can stack straight up and then place the top roll the normal way. There is no pressure against the side of the barn that way either.

How does that work with forks? Even with rounds on side it tends to pull them with me as I back up after setting them. They're maybe 700-900 lbs. never weighed one.

@ Ike: you sure as heck can get by without hay if you have enough uneaten veg laying around. where are you at? Hooks somewhere near orlando & my cows are north of him, near Gville and I don't hay. all depends on your stocking rate. we feed molasses supplement to get them to eat less desirable veg. low stocking rate & they're all fat, some too fat (esp the bull). whats your stocking rate and what is the pasture/browse make-up like?

East side of the state and west side of the state are different too. West side seems to have better soil conditions. East side seems to have more sand and that's harder to grow forage in

hooknline":3usuap6c said:
How does that work with forks? Even with rounds on side it tends to pull them with me as I back up after setting them. They're maybe 700-900 lbs. never weighed one.
Pallet forks work best, just turn them on their side and then stack them. But with a normal hay fork just tilt it toward the stack and as it settles on top pick the fork straight up.

kenny thomas":2ebze371 said:
Since its inside turn the bottom row and the second row on their end. That way you can stack straight up and then place the top roll the normal way. There is no pressure against the side of the barn that way either.
That's the way i do it too.

Latest posts