Got a dozer to use for free :) What would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
A good (actually great) friend happened to need a place to park his D5K for a few months. Gave me a tutorial and left me the keys. Besides the fact that THIS IS AWESOME!!, I now need tips on dozer safety and efficient use (fortunately I don't have many slopes). And what would you do if you suddenly had access to a dozer for 2 months?

Congrats. Man, I could get so much done around here with a deal like that. Sometimes a tractor and bucket is just not enough, or safe enough.

If you don't have many slopes you may not have much to do? Prep a future barn site maybe, clear some brush/old fencerows, shove over some dead snags (be careful there), bury some old junk piles/dilapidated outbuildings?

Not sure if that model is a blade type or a front end loader. If it's a FEL, keep the bucket as low as possible, specially going downhill or when full. A local guy here was going downhill with the bucket too high and it tipped forward, tossed him over the hood and he was trapped in between the bucket and tracks which kept on digging.

A dozer is the only piece of equipment that I use the seat belt every time I get on one.

pdubdo":3g31crwq said:
A good (actually great) friend happened to need a place to park his D5K for a few months. Gave me a tutorial and left me the keys. Besides the fact that THIS IS AWESOME!!, I now need tips on dozer safety and efficient use (fortunately I don't have many slopes). And what would you do if you suddenly had access to a dozer for 2 months?

It would be like winning the lottery. I'd have a pile of cedar that could be seen from outer space.

pdubdo":3q82f89c said:

Remember to be safe of course. Is the role cage wrapped? This is fresh on my mind as yesterday I came close to losing my eye pushing brush with the backhoe. Cut my eye lid and left me a nice shiner! :oops:

I would make sure I was working it when I used it. Nothing about running a dozer is cheap and joy rides wear out parts just like pushing. I would keep it minimal unless this awesome friend was returning a favor as payment of some sort.

I'm always leery of using someone else's equipment as I don't want to tear up anything since I know nothing is cheap for heavy equipment and I'll be the one replacing it.

Might stick to dirt work only as you'll have less chances of ripping something off or hurting the aesthetics. :D

Have fun!

Yeah pushing trees will likely be the most dangerous part of a dozer. Having them land on you, or snap back towards the cab once laid over is a thing to watch out for. Getting them stuck or having a track come off is never fun either.

cfpinz":10rjz5o2 said:
A dozer is the only piece of equipment that I use the seat belt every time I get on one.

Yea after a few faceplants into my windshield on mine I decided that's the best policy.... I also get Epson salt if I run it all day too.

If there are Africanized bee's in your area, have someone sit close by in a pickup if clearing trees/brush if an open cab dozer. I got into some when clearing fence lines at our place and they tore me up. There is no getting away from them. I was lucky my father was close in his truck with windows down and heard me yelling. Them bee's are serious business. Good luck and have fun on it...I would love to have one for 2 months.

Since I've never ran one I'd have to learn to operate it by digging a tank just west of the house. Been wanting a tank for a long time but won't spend the money to hire someone.

The best way to learn what 'not' to do is watch Youtubes. There are hundreds of thousands of equipment accidents to watch.

saltbranch":11cvv3s2 said:
If there are Africanized bee's in your area, have someone sit close by in a pickup if clearing trees/brush if an open cab dozer. I got into some when clearing fence lines at our place and they tore me up. There is no getting away from them. I was lucky my father was close in his truck with windows down and heard me yelling. Them bee's are serious business. Good luck and have fun on it...I would love to have one for 2 months.

Hey Salt,
Did you catch any of them? I hear they make excellent salt water bait. LOL! :wave:

Had to do it. You're right. Those bees are serious business.

bbirder":2oslk1kq said:
saltbranch":2oslk1kq said:

Hey Salt,
Did you catch any of them? I hear they make excellent salt water bait. LOL! :wave:

Had to do it. You're right. Those bees are serious business.

LOL...nope did not catch any. I was trying to get away from them things. I wished I had it on video though...I would win some cash for funniest video. They hit me on the dozer and I yelled for my father in the river bottom. I jumped off the dozer and was running for a deep spot in river that runs through our place. Now mind you I got bees attacking my head with a vengeance, coming in my mouth, nose, ears....penetrating every orifice they can. Then my britches fell down and tripped me up. So I am grabbing hand fulls of sand throwing in the air and grabbing my britches to get them yanked back up to protect my 2 vital parts, finally get back up and running. Now running with one hand holding my britches up and one arm flailing around to fight bee's off. Prolly looked like I was creating a new Olympic sport or something. Then my father pulls up, I jumped in and off to the ER we went. I got mucho respect for them dudes now. I got a Bee suit I wear when doing brush work by myself up there now. I do wished I had it on video now though, I would submit it to funniest video's

Latest posts