Gossypol Toxicity With Gin Trash

Help Support CattleToday:

u4411clb

Reaction score
Would gin trash have enough cotton seed that I would have to worry about pulling bulls off of eating it before breeding season. Cows will start calving the end of next month and I am currently feeding a combo of gin trash and soy hulls and by product candy along with free choice hay. First time I have used gin trash and would I need to pull it away from the bulls in fear of making them infertile from gossypol toxicity before breeding season.

Heard gossypol induced sterility is supposed to be permanant.
Have read where reserchers have been trying to
get rid of the toxic factor for use as a sterility inducing factor for humans. Don't know if they have been successful or not, but I would be very very carefull feeding anything you want to reproduce- anything with gossypol in it...
Nite Hawk

NH - from what I have been told, it only causes "permanent" damage to young growing bull calves. Supposedly, you can feed it during the year to mature bulls, but pull it about 60 days prior to breeding season.
I never heard of gin trash, so I'm not sure what's in it. I would think your state Univ or extension offices, or even the supplier has a breakdown of it.

Be careful. I had a customer who fed dairy replacements with gin trash and got in a bunch of trouble when he sent a few to beef. I can't remember now if it was defoliant or pesticide in their systems but he'd of been better of just to load them up on LA200 before he shipped them.

Sterility and temporary infertility are two diferent things. I know of more than a few dairies that have pushed it a little to hard and all of a sudden the problem goes away when they pull the cotton seed. I try to stay away from nutritionists as they like to point fingers and I always lose finger pointing competitions since my index finger is gone but I'm 90% sure that there's a big differance in between pima cotton seed and non-pima cotton seed as it relates to cattle fertility.

I would agree there is not enough seed in it to cause a problem, but i have fed it quite a bit and lumpy jaw was a real problem.
I wouldn't feed it again unless i didn't have a choice
I have heard of some grinding the burs and claim it's a lot better, but that adds to the cost.
For no more feed value than there is in it, I'd look at cotton seed hulls and add cotton seed mill for protein.

cross_7":3hacgh3t said:
I would agree there is not enough seed in it to cause a problem, but i have feed it quite a bit and lumpy jaw was a real problem.
I wouldn't feed it again unless i didn't have a choice
I have heard of some grinding the burs and claim it's a lot better, but that adds to the cost.
For no more feed value than there is in it, I'd look at cotton seed hulls and add cotton seed mill for protein.
Most all of it is ground now and most carry a crude protein value of 8% so there is definitely some seed and some cotton in the mix. I've never seen anyone have any problems with it, dairy or beef. Call it infertility or sterility...either way the bull produces no viable sperm. But it is temporary. It usually takes no more than the 30-60 days mentioned for the bull to be back to normal. Years ago country gins simply burned the stuff, then some started almost giving it away "as is" with the burrs being whole....last time I priced any was during the last drought and it was around $85 a ton delivered to the farm bulk. Works very well in a TMR.

I'm told many farmers are no longer using a herbicide material for defoliating but are going more with an acid based defoliate.

I've been limit feeding straight cotton seed for three years with no problems. From what I have read and been told, is the bull would have to eat a lot of cotton seed to effect him if he is out with the cows working.

circlew":28vc4e6d said:
I've been limit feeding straight cotton seed for three years with no problems. From what I have read and been told, is the bull would have to eat a lot of cotton seed to effect him if he is out with the cows working.
Maybe you've been lucky - maybe your breeding program could be better than you think it is - but, for sure wcs will affect the bulls ability to settle cows.

What I purchase is ground and on an as fed basis is 18.46% protein and 4.82% fat with moisture 11.40% and dry matter 88.60%. NEI (MCal/lb) - 0.60, NEm (MCal/lb) - 0.60 and NEg (MCal/lb) 0.37. I was told by the producer that the exfoliant problem is not an issue anymore. I have always thought that the infertility from cotton seeds was only temporary and this trash seems to have quite a few seeds in it although they are mostly small. I found this by product and it is within 2 miles of my place so I have easy access and it runs about $50 lbs a ton. Right now I am mixing with soy hulls and I have a shipper that can purchase candy that is defective by size or shape or whatever and it adds energy and fat to the ration and once done I have about $80 -$90 a ton in it when I am done. As compared with prepared feed around my area is about $220 a ton this time of year but nothing is worth cows not being bred back.

Can't be gin trash with 18.46 % protein. Or they have a terrible gin letting too much seed get thru.
But I'd love to know what it is so I can try and find some for me.

u4411clb":27s3s2hx said:
What I purchase is ground and on an as fed basis is 18.46% protein and 4.82% fat with moisture 11.40% and dry matter 88.60%. NEI (MCal/lb) - 0.60, NEm (MCal/lb) - 0.60 and NEg (MCal/lb) 0.37. I was told by the producer that the exfoliant problem is not an issue anymore. I have always thought that the infertility from cotton seeds was only temporary and this trash seems to have quite a few seeds in it although they are mostly small. I found this by product and it is within 2 miles of my place so I have easy access and it runs about $50 lbs a ton. Right now I am mixing with soy hulls and I have a shipper that can purchase candy that is defective by size or shape or whatever and it adds energy and fat to the ration and once done I have about $80 -$90 a ton in it when I am done. As compared with prepared feed around my area is about $220 a ton this time of year but nothing is worth cows not being bred back.

How are you feeding it? Is the stuff that was advertised in 1-2 ton "tote bags"?

u4411clb":2oig86d7 said:

They may call it gin trash but it's not. It would have to be 3/4 cottonseed to test that high in protein. I'd have it tested, if it tests out, I'd buy all they had and be on the phone making money with it. :nod: I'd cut it with corn and lower the protein and raise the energy and probably cut your overall feeding price as well unless you're really getting a bargain on the soyhulls and candy products.

SSGenetics":2sk70o13 said:
u4411clb":2sk70o13 said:

How are you feeding it? Is the stuff that was advertised in 1-2 ton "tote bags"?

Yes they have it in tote bags that are aprox 800 lbs you can either buy the bags and re-use or if you are near by they will trust you to bring them back for free but don't quote me on the free part like I said my place is 2 minutes away. I get it in bins that I use to get soy hulls and other feed they weigh your truck and trailer before and after. A bin that holds a ton of hulls or a ton of normal feed will hold aprox 1000lbs of this gin trash. It is literaly 2 minutes from my place so I usually just get as needed. They have 18 wheelers hauling this stuff to Kentucky and Missouri and everywhere in between mostly dairies so the few tons I get is nothing I am guessing.

TexasBred":2gvfgokr said:
u4411clb":2gvfgokr said:

They may call it gin trash but it's not. It would have to be 3/4 cottonseed to test that high in protein. I'd have it tested, if it tests out, I'd buy all they had and be on the phone making money with it. :nod: I'd cut it with corn and lower the protein and raise the energy and probably cut your overall feeding price as well unless you're really getting a bargain on the soyhulls and candy products.

It was tested and the test results say gin trash and that is why I called it that. Honestly I am not 100% sure what the correct name for it is. The info I gave was from the test that was done by the University of Tennessee as far as the protein and and other info. I can get the candy by product on truckers making trips back from Tennessee for very cheap but the soy hulls are not cheap aprox $150 a ton bought back in summer but cheaper than corn but I am still trying to find the right mix. Cows are in best shape for this time of year in a long time but it has been near 70 degrees for the most part and have not even had a really hard frost yet which is strange but may be playing a part. Stock piled fescue is really holding up well this year but it seems feeding the mix I have now is working so far.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":11wzn5fd said:
circlew":11wzn5fd said:
Maybe you've been lucky - maybe your breeding program could be better than you think it is - but, for sure wcs will affect the bulls ability to settle cows.

I think it had more to do with the limit feeding. All the cows calved within 60 days of bull turn out.

I have a good idea what you are getting and its not gin trash. If its what I think it is there are no issue with Gossypol.
Be aware that you might need supplemental roughage to go with it unlike gin trash.

If I were you I would go buy me a load of calves and feed them up to 800 lbs.
Heck I'd get as many loads as I could find the money for.
You are sitting on a gold mine with that,some roughage and some candy.
Also right now with those feed costs you should be able to hedge a good profit(be ready to cover JIC they keep going up) and only have health risks.

Cows should do fine(on paper it works) with some roughage and just the by-product. Way too much protein but its not hurting your pocket so who cares.

Latest posts