Gin trash.

Help Support CattleToday:

What are you supplementing with gin trash and what happens if they get "to much cottonseed"? How much cottonseed is to much? Must be alot.
It works well when you have a hay shortage. Will run about 8% crude protein so contains very little seed.

My son got a some a couple years ago and dumped it in the pasture for the cows to eat just to try it.
Where ever he put it the grass grew like crazy, nothing else it is good fertilizer?
I've had a change of heart. I talked to the gin operator and he said that everything gets run in air temps 200-250 degF which should volatalize any chemicals existing. I'm not sure if that's 100% correct but it's enough for me to think the majority of potential damage has been mitigated.

In the last few weeks we've had 40 tons delivered in ~445lb bales. Handling has required a learning curve since they arent very stable stacked 3 high and forks take a little too much pushing to keep from knocking some off the truck.

The cows are happy to eat it and I'm glad we have it. We can take 4 bales at a time with the tractor but are working on a sled feeder for the ATV/UTV so we don't destroy pastures or use as much diesel.

I ended up with $16/bale in them - $71/ton. Delivered 750lb hay is ~$58/bale - $155/ton. We have an old building with the end removed and I plan on packing it full if possible. It might not be the best but it's decent insurance.

Gin here will give you the test data. However it is just an average with every run being slightly different. Just make sure it has never gotten wet as some places used to do to keep down dust. That makes nutrients unavailable and can cause mold. We would not be able to function here without gin trash and use it every year. Not sure your location but the worry about gossypol poisoning is only in a particular type of cotton mainly grown in the desert I think upland cotton but don't quote me on the name. Which ever type it is not grown in the southeast I think west Texas and Arizona . I don't think the defoliation chemicals they use is the bad stuff anymore but may want to check with the gin. If you are worried about your bulls just feed them something else. We don't have bulls with cows during time we feed supplement feed. By bull turn out they are back on grass or at least rye grass. Which may not make this year as cold spell really did damage and knocked it back or maybe killed it waiting to see.

Gin here will give you the test data. However it is just an average with every run being slightly different. Just make sure it has never gotten wet as some places used to do to keep down dust. That makes nutrients unavailable and can cause mold. We would not be able to function here without gin trash and use it every year. Not sure your location but the worry about gossypol poisoning is only in a particular type of cotton mainly grown in the desert I think upland cotton but don't quote me on the name. Which ever type it is not grown in the southeast I think west Texas and Arizona . I don't think the defoliation chemicals they use is the bad stuff anymore but may want to check with the gin. If you are worried about your bulls just feed them something else. We don't have bulls with cows during time we feed supplement feed. By bull turn out they are back on grass or at least rye grass. Which may not make this year as cold spell really did damage and knocked it back or maybe killed it waiting to see.
How do you go about arranging with a gin for pickup and what do you retrieve it in?

Just go into office and if they are busy ginning they may schedule a time if they have some one available at the time they will load in totes that they use fork lifts to raise and we use hay spear on front in loader to lift. Or they will load on anything you bring you drive on scales without gin trash they load up whatever you have and weigh you again. The gin I go to is running like a sewing machine you have people getting the 800 lb totes others getting tractor trailers some the old style metal cotton wagons. Whatever you use I am sure the gin has seen it before.

Sometimes they have totes ready and will load. It is on an honor basis to bring them back and swap once they are empty. Not really anything a person can use them for so you bring back was you are done. Have had some rip and a crazy cow got in barn and chewed one up pretty bad and they didn't care really.

How do you go about arranging with a gin for pickup and what do you retrieve it in?
Ours comes in ~400-500lb bales and I arrange a trucking company to pick it up. I used a tractor trailer (81 per load) one time and tandem axle flat bed/roll back (50 per load) the last time.

Last edited:

Latest posts