Golly, I thought I had this all figured out......

Help Support CattleToday:

The Bachelor

Reaction score
Alright, I've got 5 weaned calfs (Average around 500lbs each) in a pen where I'll keep them for a week. I just want to make sure I do this right..... feed em free choice hay and around 5 lbs of corn a day should keep em good until I turn em out..... right??
Just wanting to make sure....

Thanks again,
Brad

Unless you're trying to fatten up the calves for show, slaughter, or something, I personally don't see a need to feed them corn as long as they have quality hay, minerals, salt, clean water.

Usually one only needs to feed "supplements" if something else is missing in diet and/or you're trying to pre-condition, condition, or something else.

JMO...

Well, they're in a pen because I picked them up yesterday and wanted them to know "home". Someone told me to keep them in there a week and feed em and call em everyday so I can catch them again.

I guess I'm weaning them now, but their moms are 45 miles away, so I can turn them out after a week right?

RAB, I wish I could say this is quality hay because I grew it, but its not. I thought supplementing with corn minerals, and salt would get me through the week until I can turn them out onto the pasture.

Hey, if I'm wrong on any of this, please let me know. I've been raising goats and chickens for years, but I'm all new to this cow thing.

Thanks,
Brad

Rather then straight corn I would use a more ballanced 13-16% grain mixture. A small amount each day will sure go a long ways toward calming them down and bucket training them.

dun

I would keep them in a secure pen with hay, water, and a little grain each day for at least a week, maybe two, especially if they were just seperated from their mommas. Even if their mommas are 45 miles away, if you turned them out to quickly, they'll probably walk the fences looking for a way out.

Ditto what Dun said
You don't know enough to be using straight corn- and it doesn't give you enough protien.
If you have them up and its a dry place-- leave them where they are for at least 21 days. If you move them you might trigger stress at the worst time and leave them more susceptable to coming down sick.

You MAY have problems with the tribander on a 500lb calf-- its band is not heavy enough- and you may not be able to open it enough to get it over the balls.I've never used one for those reasons so I could be wrong.

Make sure you COUNT TO TWO
or cut it off and lick that calf again.

If you do use the board keep in mind that it hurts alot more to get your hands kicked into the board than it does getting free kicked.And if they go down or up you can't follow them.And they can kick the board up into your hands..I'm not a big fan of boards if you haven't figured it out

If you are going to do it bite the bullet and get in close- it hurts less then a long strike connecting if you are backed off.They also get your legs instead of your chest if you are tucked in close.

The only thing that really happens to me if I get in tight and close, besdies getting a dose of manure from time to time is getting your feet smushed a bit.. My advce.. Steel toed boots if you are going to get into the chute to do this. WE did some 650 pounders and when they decide to put all their weight on one foot, and that foot happens to be on top of your foot it hurts..

I mentioned this on another site and was quickly asked why I didn't just open a branding window on the chute and lean in to do this... Never occurred to me.. Just something to give some thought too.

TXBobcat":1ex9tl07 said:
I would keep them in a secure pen with hay, water, and a little grain each day for at least a week, maybe two, especially if they were just seperated from their mommas. Even if their mommas are 45 miles away, if you turned them out to quickly, they'll probably walk the fences looking for a way out.

Adding to this... Don't forget a mineral tub!

And, vaccinations???

I buy lightweight calves regularly. I keep them in a barn for two days. Then deworm and vac. them and turn them into a "newcomers" pen for 4 weeks. The really sick one will show up in the barn, most others in the first two weeks. I leave them away from the main herd for a full four weeks to keep from passing something on to my main herd. Its risky buying like this, you have to really pay attention to what you buy and at what price to turn a profit.

when we wean, we lock them up good and give them some sweet feed, this last time they did not eat the hay or really drink (as needed for 3 days), during this weaning period they can be crazy.. we also have the cattle panels 12 feet high..

2 weeks later, (now) they are nice socialble animals. You have to judge it your self... good luck

Edited to say 5lbs is alot unless they were fed the same feed... let them grow before you fatten them., feed them to keep them at home.. kinda a catch 22.

rattler":sz78mt8z said:
Have the calfe's been vaccinated?I would do that and worm them and you will be good to go.

rattler

Thanks all again for the help, we vaccinated and wormed yesterday. Supposed to castrate too, but we took a boys toy to do a mans job. Looks like I need a new tool.

Bama":5a4aubdj said:
I buy lightweight calves regularly. I keep them in a barn for two days. Then deworm and vac. them and turn them into a "newcomers" pen for 4 weeks. The really sick one will show up in the barn, most others in the first two weeks. I leave them away from the main herd for a full four weeks to keep from passing something on to my main herd. Its risky buying like this, you have to really pay attention to what you buy and at what price to turn a profit.
===
Bama,

We have a neighbor who does this quite regularly. He is never concerned about previous vacs...says it doesn't matter. He is successful with his program.

Does the possibility that the animals had been previously vac...oh...maybe.... 30-60 days before.... concern you?

If not...why not?

I have always been curious.

Most of what I buy are from unknown origins. If I don't vac. there is a slight chance they have already been and a huge chance they don't get vac.If I do it there is a 100 percent chance they were and a slight chance they were twice. I know the odds are in my favor to do it, and just don't worry about it.

Latest posts