Gold Fish in the stock tank DOA

Help Support CattleToday:

rbell

Reaction score
Had a half dozen fish in the stock tank, drained it and refilled with clean water they all went belly up during the next 24 hours.
Only thing used to clean tank was well water and a broom to scrub the sides.
What happened?

wow, those suckers are usually pretty hardy after they have been there awhile - change in pH, temperature? some chemical residue on the broom??? Hit the wallyworld for 20 or 30 more and try again (I usually dump 100 into my big trough to end up with 20 to 30)

Dont know, but I read on a farm pond construction site once that somtime well water doesn thave enough oxygen or could have the wrong whatever level to support fish. Maybe a PH test would have helped.

Ive seen Goldfish/carp come up to the top to suck air though so I have no idea.

Their bodies need some adjustment time if there is a temperature change--- If the tank water was hot and you filled it with well water it might have been too much.

More than likely you have clorine (sp) in your water. When you change the water you will probley have to let it sit 24hrs. With normal filling the amount is not enough to kill the fish. But with the hole tank change was to much. Hope this Helps.

Howdyjabo has it right, you went from warm water to cold well water. No fish can handle that type of water temp change. They will belly up every time.

mnmt

endebt":12ydihp1 said:
More than likely you have clorine (sp) in your water. When you change the water you will probley have to let it sit 24hrs. With normal filling the amount is not enough to kill the fish. But with the hole tank change was to much. Hope this Helps.
Not in my well I don't (tee hee) it has not seen bleach since I installed the pump 35 years ago.
Us hillbillies don't do bleach nor floride (look ma no teeth :)
My research says it was most likely lack of oxygen in the well water, or it could possibly have been the tempature change
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction folks

rbell":13clopz2 said:
endebt":13clopz2 said:
Not in my well I don't (tee hee) it has not seen bleach since I installed the pump 35 years ago.
Us hillbillies don't do bleach nor floride (look ma no teeth :)
My research says it was most likely lack of oxygen in the well water, or it could possibly have been the tempature change
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction folks

If you dont put flouride in your stock tank how did the gold fish brush their teeth? :lol: :lol: :lol:

That happened to me two years ago after we had a big rain and the water supply dumped a bunch of chlorine. I have had the same fish now for a year. They even surived the trough freezing over this winter. I started with 25 and I have 12 left. Pretty good. They usually die in the summer time when the temps get hot.

I have 4 100 gallon water tanks, the gold fish died in all except one, I have those fish for over a year. I'm guessing they died because of a combination of temp change and ph change. Like it was mentioned earlier they will come to the top for air if needed. I use my fish for mesquito control.

Alan

rbell":1qou3qjl said:
Had a half dozen fish in the stock tank, drained it and refilled with clean water they all went belly up during the next 24 hours.
Only thing used to clean tank was well water and a broom to scrub the sides.
What happened?

Probably the temperature change.

Well or spring water has no oxygen. That with the temp change did it.

It all depends......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How much of a water change you can do all at once is highly dependent on your local situation! So a generic answer sometimes simply does NOT apply, one must ask a few questions!

If the water is to be exchanged for well water, straight out of the well, then a very large water change may kill the fish outright for one of at least three reasons:

1. Well water usually has no oxygen content.

2. In many areas, well water has enough sulfide content to kill the koi with large water exhanges, but not enough to give a noticeable problem with small exchanges.

3. The well water may be more than 20F cooler than the pond water to give the fish a temperature shock.

I stole the above, you can read it in it's entirety here
http://www.koivetforums.com/forums/show ... php?t=8589

msscamp":2hs7rk0r said:
dj":2hs7rk0r said:

You know dj, I didn't even think of that. Thanks!

I guess you didnt read my post, 3rd from top. Its OK, Im used to being ignored by women. :lol:

3MR":2494njwf said:
msscamp":2494njwf said:
dj":2494njwf said:

I guess you didnt read my post, 3rd from top. Its OK, Im used to being ignored by women. :lol:

Sometimes it's like the old instructor deal. Tell them what your going to tell them, tell them, then tell them what you told them.

dun

3MR":32l6c8ak said:
msscamp":32l6c8ak said:
dj":32l6c8ak said:

:oops: :oops: :oops: I guess I had a comprehension problem last night because I did read your post, but I sure didn't get the same meaning as I did when I re-read it tonight. I honestly wasn't ignoring you - it's just that some days it takes a more direct approach to reach my addlepated brain than others. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Dun, hush! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a 75 gallon tank, is there any benefit to adding fish? im new and find this fish thing fasinating, but i know with my luck the headlines would read, " rancher mistakes perahna for gold fish, 12 head eaten alive"

By all means. I have goldfish in a 100 gallon tank. You might have to replace them every year, but they are cheap.

Billdevaul":3ohlsi22 said:
I have a 75 gallon tank, is there any benefit to adding fish? im new and find this fish thing fasinating, but i know with my luck the headlines would read, " rancher mistakes perahna for gold fish, 12 head eaten alive"

Goldfish help to keep the tank clean, and give the cows something to watch. ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: J/K on the giving the cows something to watch part, but we used to have goldfish in all our tanks, and we had cleaner tanks because they ate the algae, and stuff. They did, however, occasionally spook the cows and calves and it was hysterical to watch! :lol: :lol: :lol: Goldfish also grow to a size proportionate to their environment, and it was amazing to see how big they could get depending on the size of the stock tank. :eek: