going wiifii

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
we are going wiifii with verizon wireless,will be at 3G speed.an they are planning to go to 4G later this year.we just odered all the equipment this morning.so does any1 here have verizon wiifii here an how do you like it.ill prolly end up getting a laptop in the future.

we are 5 to 6 miles from 3 towers so we should get a good signal.we have friends thats further away an they say its fast.we are keeping our currant provider till we see how the new setup runs.we keep 3 pcs online 24hrs a day.with the new setup we can run 5 computers max.

wow....
I have an ATT tower a mile from the house and the air card can use that. Signal is still iffy because they make the towers too short cause idiot people don't want to look at them.

SprinT tower is three miles and made to look like and old fire lookout tower so it is a bit taller and cell phone uses that and I can use it in the front of the house but signal is iffy in back of the house. Outside is good.

I have seen some that tall in other areas but around here 140 to 160 feet is about all they go cause of all the do gooders moaning about how ugly they are.

If they let the companies put up decent towers they would not have to have one on every dad gum corner.

lily livered politicians who never met a good deal they could not screw up.

most folks know that these things are line of sight and if you can't see them then the phone can't either.

well this wont be a cell ph.itll be wireless internet.that we can get if we take the card with us.

I have a verizon droid phone that is pretty fast. I can download an app and for a one time $15 fee I can wifi from the phone to the laptop and use its signal. Verizon has something similar but its a $20/month additional fee.

Jo, is your droid phone with verizon? You lost me with the app. Verizon charges me $30 extra to tether my blackberry to my laptop.

right now im paying $60 plus tax for hughesnet.with the new 1 it starts at $50 plus tax a month for 5MBs an $80 a month for 10 MBs.so we will go with the 10MBs deal.

bigbull338":96n58hki said:
right now im paying $60 plus tax for hughesnet.with the new 1 it starts at $50 plus tax a month for 5MBs an $80 a month for 10 MBs.so we will go with the 10MBs deal.
OUCH!!!!!!!!

10MB isn't much...

LOL! All you techni people... :)

I/we have verizon. MY phone has 0 thru 9 plus ON/OFF & Send. Use for emergency and using as a 2 Way Radio to talk to wife when she's doing chores, or when she's at our other place, if needed. My brother has a blackberry....

I'm not a phone addict and never have been. ;-) Don't like to talk on phone... now that my hearing is lousy, have a good excuse... :)

Running Arrow Bill":1yjlopgd said:

I/we have verizon. MY phone has 0 thru 9 plus ON/OFF & Send. Use for emergency and using as a 2 Way Radio to talk to wife when she's doing chores, or when she's at our other place, if needed. My brother has a blackberry....

I'm not a phone addict and never have been. ;-) Don't like to talk on phone... now that my hearing is lousy, have a good excuse... :)

haha...you need to retire a little more to enjoy the "new toys". :D

Running Arrow Bill":386vx90q said:

I'm like you, Bill. Never was much of a phone person, even back when they were all tethered to the wall. I finally broke down and bought a cell phone six years ago and still have the same one. Nothing fancy about it. It's handy and I wouldn't want to be without it, but I don't use it that much.

highgrit":2do3ijw5 said:
Jo, is your droid phone with verizon? You lost me with the app. Verizon charges me $30 extra to tether my blackberry to my laptop.

Yes, you can get around that monthly fee by downloading an app on your phone and on your computer. Its 30 days free then its a one time fee of $15. I haven't done it yet cause I'm bundled at the house but the girl at the Verizon store told me about it and its what she uses. I'm sure her boss wouldn't appreciate her telling me this though.

Son has an iphone and he can use our home wifi on an app, anywhere in the Country, it is free with our broadband, We have had wirless for years, we are now in BT Infinity fibre optic it is so fast turn on the computer and it is there almost instantly, it is 30mg.

LaneFarms":1gw5epl6 said:
Jo do you know the name of the app?

I was hoping no one would ask me that. She wrote it on a piece of paper and gave it to me and I put it on the dash of my truck. Well I needed to clean the dash off anyhow and I finally found it. Its called pdanet. She said you download the app on your phone. Go to their website and download something on your computer. Then you take the little wire that came with your phone and plug it into your computer and it essentially forms a network between phone and computer. She said it was 30 days free but if you liked it, it would cost $15. Sounds like a pretty decent deal.

well I have an air card for my laptop and I take it where I go......

but you still have to have cell service for it to work and the rural areas around here are still very spotty.

I'm sure you do. All its doing is networking the two together. What baffles me though is I might not be able to make a phone call in some areas but my internet part of phone seems to work just fine. :???: