God Bless America! SAV America 8018 to be exact.

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
dbirdsong said:
Branded I think you're spitting into the wind. Most people here are only marginally interested in improving the quality of their herd. It is strictly a cost benefits analysis for them. If they can sell two scrawny 400lb weaning calves and make a dollar more than selling one 800lb weaning calve then they don't have any interest in improving weaning weights. Look at herds as you drive around the country. People aren't interested in quality as much as they are interested in the bottom line. You must really enjoy tilting at windmills.

I think that couldn't be further from the truth. In fact I think there are plenty of producers on here that produce fine calves from great mothers. To the point that some get deeply offended by the inference that their cattle are inferior and Branded and or SAV will be the savior.

dbirdsong said:
Branded I think you're spitting into the wind. Most people here are only marginally interested in improving the quality of their herd. It is strictly a cost benefits analysis for them. If they can sell two scrawny 400lb weaning calves and make a dollar more than selling one 800lb weaning calve then they don't have any interest in improving weaning weights. Look at herds as you drive around the country. People aren't interested in quality as much as they are interested in the bottom line. You must really enjoy tilting at windmills.

Good insight. I think Branded needs to throttle down. I have offered that advice to him privately.

How someone wants to run their cattle operation is their business.

One of the flaws of being human is being driven by the passion to make everyone else into a protege of ourselves. It is a quest for validation of ourselves. If you share my values, hence, my values must be right.

Maybe because I am by nature a very independent person, I don't need anyone else's confirmation. Live and do as you see fit and let everyone else, live and do as they see fit.

Silver said:
dbirdsong said:

I think that couldn't be further from the truth. In fact I think there are plenty of producers on here that produce fine calves from great mothers. To the point that some get deeply offended by the inference that their cattle are inferior and Branded and or SAV will be the savior.
I believe my cattle could definitely benefit from using some SAV genetics....good cattle.. Not a million $ good but good.. :cowboy:

Guess I might as well add to this. There are now claims that the bull is valued at $2.1 million. They're figuring in the 20% SAV is retaining? So, whatever--$1.5 million is so yesterday.

Bright Raven said:
dbirdsong said:

Good insight. I think Branded needs to throttle down. I have offered that advice to him privately.

How someone wants to run their cattle operation is their business.

One of the flaws of being human is being driven by the passion to make everyone else into a protege of ourselves. It is a quest for validation of ourselves. If you share my values, hence, my values must be right.

Maybe because I am by nature a very independent person, I don't need anyone else's confirmation. Live and do as you see fit and let everyone else, live and do as they see fit.

Nothing wrong with a good spirited discussion. Makes my morning cuppa all the more enjoyable.

dbirdsong said:

You are right. Very right!

I keep forgetting that old habits are hard to break for many farmers.

As for the windmills, you are incorrect, I don't have imaginary friends OR enemies.

I've read the history of the Jorgensen Ranch and they met with a lot of resistance as well when it came to improving genetics. I'm thankful that they persisted. As for me, I have far less patience, I think you either get it or you get left behind. Why should I care, really, why?

Chocolate Cow2 said:
Guess I might as well add to this. There are now claims that the bull is valued at $2.1 million. They're figuring in the 20% SAV is retaining? So, whatever--$1.5 million is so yesterday.

The math is wrong. If he is now worth $2.1 million total valuation, then that would make Herbster's 80% stake worth $1.68 million. That's incorrect.

Let me ask everyone on here, Do you think if you had, say, $2.5 million in cash, that Kelly and Charles would sell you SAV America 8018? I seriously doubt they would. The bull is off the market, bidders had their opportunity to bid against Charles, the fact of the matter is this, the bidding reached a point where the other bidders folded. I'm sure that the losing bidder will always regret not getting the bull, but they probably realized Herbster had far deeper pockets than they did and would take the price much higher if necessary.

My mistake. The article was from Australia. In their currency, the bull does have a valuation of $2.1 mil. :hide:

Brook hill,
Everything bovine is for sale, my place, your place, Kelly's place the only thing is agreeing on the price. Kelly and Charles are smart enough to know that.

dbirdsong said:

Good post. Hope to see more from you in the future.

************* said:
Chocolate Cow2 said:

The math is wrong. If he is now worth $2.1 million total valuation, then that would make Herbster's 80% stake worth $1.68 million. That's incorrect.

Let me ask everyone on here, Do you think if you had, say, $2.5 million in cash, that Kelly and Charles would sell you SAV America 8018? I seriously doubt they would. The bull is off the market, bidders had their opportunity to bid against Charles, the fact of the matter is this, the bidding reached a point where the other bidders folded. I'm sure that the losing bidder will always regret not getting the bull, but they probably realized Herbster had far deeper pockets than they did and would take the price much higher if necessary.
Did you watch the video of America selling? It was rigged, someone else won the bid at $1.4m. But they were bidding for the house and the auctioneer screwed up calling America sold. I'm sure the auctioneers leg is sore from being kicked. There's a possibility that Herbster told someone he'd go as high as $1.5m and the house just ran the bid up. That's the way the bidding seemed to be to me. It doesn't matter one way or the other, fact is someone got a really nice bull with questionable numbers. We'll know the truth in a couple of years by his offspring.

This is rich.

I'm gonna sell all my cows tomorrow and buy one SAV America heifer and 4 straws.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

torogmc81 said:
NEFarmwife said:
I really think a lot of Herbster. I really do. Also, if you look at our commercial operation...You'll see everything is either SAV or Herbster (that wasn't sold by SAV).

My thoughts on Herbster purchasing this bull was to market President. Think about what this will do for President.

Great point on the marketing of Pres., I completely agree.

I'm too lazy to look up past results prior to the record flush, but the high seller/record breaking trend seems to come in waves from SAV. I expect a one or two year pull back on high seller at SAV, and then another record setter. Just :2cents:

Could you imagine, the naming possibilities.
SAV 'Merica
SAV Trump
SAV Keep America Great

Called it. 5000 units pre-sold and likely won't be able to handle the demand but consider President. Can't blame them, tough to collect so much semen on a young bull.

Sensation was available to us December following his purchase. I'm betting for most (unless you're Branded)... we won't see his semen till next breeding season.

I'll be seeing his offspring before he's available to us.

To be honest I agree with a lot of what Branded says. I like larger cows. Not 2000 lb cows but 1500lb I'll take a pasture full. For any of you that like SAV genetics but don't want to pay the crazy prices should check out Penz Angus Ranch. He is as good a guy as you'll ever deal with and has been buying SAV bulls for several years. I call his operation Schaff South. You would recognize many of the bulls he and his partner have bought from SAV. Branded I think you and him could be really have some things in common. http://www.penzangusranch.com/

dbirdsong said:
To be honest I agree with a lot of what Branded says. I like larger cows. Not 2000 lb cows but 1500lb I'll take a pasture full. For any of you that like SAV genetics but don't want to pay the crazy prices should check out Penz Angus Ranch. He is as good a guy as you'll ever deal with and has been buying SAV bulls for several years. I call his operation Schaff South. You would recognize many of the bulls he and his partner have bought from SAV. Branded I think you and him could be really have some things in common. http://www.penzangusranch.com/

Thank you for sharing the info, I will check them out.

************* said:
gcreekrch said:
Mr. *************, you may have purebred cattle but your posts remind me of a cross between the singing frog and Foghorn Leghorn that once graced the Bugs Bunny hour.

Talk is cheap, results are the only thing that matters.

You said it, I didn't.

My results work well for me, I even use my own, home raised bulls. In 2017, I held the title of the highest priced feeder calves in North America for the months from June to late October. Would you refer to those as results?

I am very happy that the dollars are working for you, using all someone else's genetics. For myself, the almighty dollar isn't as important.

lithuanian farmer said:
The news have spread quite quickly already. Also saw how some people reacted to it. That's some mad money for sure. He might be perfect for American industry, but he's lacking for what market needs in Europe. Maybe some will order straws. I believe some will want to have some progeny from a world record bull. But he doesn't look too eye appealing for a commercial farmer. Short in height, too much of the belly and lack of meat in the rear. He sure has some extraordinary growth and I'd be tempted to try him out if he was available here for a smaller cost for a straw. One farmer has mentioned under this bull's sale video that he has some very similar looking angus heifers and he was told that market doesn't need such type animals...
. If he was named "S A V Europe" you would probably buy his straws and have a different opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts