GoBob round bale hay ring feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

Farminlund

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with any GoBobPipe Co. round bale feeders? They seem very sturdy & they advertise 30% hay loss reduction. Our operation is always on the edge of not enough hay despite purchasing 100's each yr (purchase quality is never as good as our own either), so waste is a big deal for us. They are pricey, but both styles have an animal can't damage, rust out guarantee (7 yrs & 10 yrs for the more robust model), plus the 30% hay loss reduction or money back promise.

Here's a link for anyone that may be interested: http://gobobpipe.com/goBobOrangeOxHayCo ... HayMonster.

Thanks in advance for any inputs or comments.

I think based on what I've seen and read that they are extremely well built and probably reduce waste. I don't know your particular setup and operation, but you might want to look at a hay processor. Mine has been the single best investment that I have made as far as hay and reducing waste.

Thanks for the input - I am looking for options to change/improve how we do things at our operation (started intensive managed grazing this past yr). Could you give a bit more info - ie link to what you have, etc. Thanks much!

Thanks - most informative & thought provoking, just don't operate in a" large pasture mode" during the winter, therefore, moving the feeding location in order to have a "clean" area to deposit hay row would quickly be exhausted (esp with rain & above freezing temps). We were using hay wagons that were removed daily (ration by time), but wet weather has made that all but impossible - now we're using fixed rings & wagons controlled by poly wire (wagon & ring waste is picked up as much as possible with pitch forks each day). If we stay with this approach, better/less waste rings need to be utilized (wagon & the light weight rings are allowing too much hay to be stomped into the mud).

Go bobs should have a skirt around the bottom. I don't see how it saves more than a round feeder w/o a skirt. They are the worst.

I agree that skirtless straight sided feeders are more wasteful than skirted rings (have both & even added a skirt to one). However, the curved design would seem to help that issue (catching what's accidently dropped). Their comment is: "Been there, done that. We have found that the hay that eventually gets nosed out the sides are the sticks and bad hay the cattle will not eat anyway. Skirting not only adds to the price of the feeders, it causes a buildup of sticks and rancid hay that you have to muck out or move the feeder!". So, I would like to at least try one to prove to myself whether this theory works (or get inputs from folk that have used them) - they seem to think so, but then there is the "salesmanship factor" to consider. I will try to contact some local users if I can get some names - but first thought that this forum would be my best source of info!

I talked to a guy selling the go bob feeders, and the national farm machinery show. He said the hay savings comes from where the cows front feet are in relationship to where they are eating. It made sense. If you look closely at it, the thing forces them to stand back a little.

It sounds like you are going to a lot of trouble to feed hay so I suggest you use the money for feeders to put in gravel/fabric, and or concrete.
Build a fence line manger and but the hay in from outside the pasture. That's what I'm thinking of doing to some of mine.

Jedstivers - Without some fairly major layout changes, feeding from outside pasture/feedlot is unlikely (not that I don't think it would be nice). When you say fence line manager - does that mean a single strand of electric wire that the cows reach under & in to eat the hay, thus using the same location for feeding on a continuous basis? Would the hay be rolled or "blown" in this area?

I am thinking along those lines (at least from the gravel standpoint), but using a controlled access like I'm doing now with removable/replaceable poly wire. Will have to drive thru the lot to deposit hay into the hay rings - thus the question about the best hay rings to use.

Farminlund":2ricsb0v said:
I agree that skirtless straight sided feeders are more wasteful than skirted rings (have both & even added a skirt to one). However, the curved design would seem to help that issue (catching what's accidently dropped). Their comment is: "Been there, done that. We have found that the hay that eventually gets nosed out the sides are the sticks and bad hay the cattle will not eat anyway. Skirting not only adds to the price of the feeders, it causes a buildup of sticks and rancid hay that you have to muck out or move the feeder!". So, I would like to at least try one to prove to myself whether this theory works (or get inputs from folk that have used them) - they seem to think so, but then there is the "salesmanship factor" to consider. I will try to contact some local users if I can get some names - but first thought that this forum would be my best source of info!

Completely agree about skirted feeders. What I do is cut up cattle panels to fit where a metal skirt would go. Still get air movement, and very little sneaks out (just the waste cows don't want anyhow). Plus it keeps young calfs from getting g stuck in there (seen it). 30% hay savings is probably too aggressive or unrealistic imo. I purchased some feeders from out in CO 4-5 years ago (large round feeders w/skirt and chain sling). Definitely reduced waste, but wasn't as much as you would think and probably not worth the added cost. I have thought for some time that a feeder needed to be designed that had an offset in it (to keep head in feeder and whatever drops from mouth while pulling would simply drop into feeder). I like the design and cost of the one you're looking at. Would just consider adding some cattle panel along bottom to 'tighten' up the bottom a bit. And would definitely get the sling with it.

I mean where the outside fence is to take a section of it out and do some concrete if possible or gravel if not and then build a manger out of metal with Z bars.
If you use a front end loader to put ot hay you can build a big one and load it up. If not set the hay on the ground or concrete and you'll have to push it up some with the new bale as they eat it.
Have it where they have to stick their head through to eat but can't walk there.
If you do a above ground manger make it where the calves can get under it and eat the good stuff the cows drop.
These things are to high I think, I can build cheaper but an example of what I'm talking about if setting on the ground. I don't have a good example for a manger.
http://www.siouxsteel.com/index.php/pro ... eder-panel

I haven't tried yet, but you might look into a company call Oil Field Pipe Supply out of Dewey, OK. I live approx. 1.5-2hrs from them and bought pipe through GoBob once. When I got there I found out that GoBob does have a steel yard in another location but most of their fab work and metal is shipped or picked up at the Oil Field Pipe Supply, which is what I did. Go Bob just gets a commission for sales. You can buy all the same stuff I'm told through OFPS.not sure how much cheaper but could look into it.

Well I did it. I almost spent $550 on a 6 piece Bexter from the coop but drove 2 hrs to Morgantown Ky and bought a one piece one bale GOBOB PIPE FOR $750. It's still in the pickup. Let you know how much hay it saves me. It's very well made.

bball":1rwi6d5t said:
Farminlund":1rwi6d5t said:

Completely agree about skirted feeders. What I do is cut up cattle panels to fit where a metal skirt would go. Still get air movement, and very little sneaks out (just the waste cows don't want anyhow). Plus it keeps young calfs from getting g stuck in there (seen it). 30% hay savings is probably too aggressive or unrealistic imo. I purchased some feeders from out in CO 4-5 years ago (large round feeders w/skirt and chain sling). Definitely reduced waste, but wasn't as much as you would think and probably not worth the added cost. I have thought for some time that a feeder needed to be designed that had an offset in it (to keep head in feeder and whatever drops from mouth while pulling would simply drop into feeder). I like the design and cost of the one you're looking at. Would just consider adding some cattle panel along bottom to 'tighten' up the bottom a bit. And would definitely get the sling with it.

Have you looked at any of the feeders that have three close spaced horozantal bars in place of a skirt? I bought two this year and they seem to have no more wast than my feeders with a skirt, plus no skirt to fall off after it gets some age on it.

Have not seen the feeders with the closely spaced bottom bars - does sound like it would approximate a skirt. Agree that they should last as long as the feeder rather than the normal, skirt falls off before it's time to retire the feeder (I have replaced them with plastic salvaged from useless/daamaged bunk feeders). What brand & where sold?

Did get a damaged GoBob single last week (saved $$). Haven't had but 3 bales thru it - 2 horizontal & 1 vertical (current one also vertical - 5X5's). Bale one had the core pulled out & wasted much - but that happens & don't think it can be totally prevented. Second horizontal had less waste than a conventional round feeder as did the 1st vertical bale. Some does sneas out the unskirted areas, but it at this point, seems minimal (it is skirted partially - maybe 35-40%). Wanted to try a Bexter but the local dealer only had an insert which I am currently trying in a standard round bale feeder (only one horizontal bale tried & less waste than a conventional round bale feeder). I want to try a vertical bale but this may not be so simple as the opening is not so large & the weight of the feeder not so much either - thus the chance of the feeder directing the bale is unlikely (first try unsuccessful). Will likely get a Bexter feeder to compare before end of winter - plan is to be ready to feed next winter with improved waste loss feeders.

quartermeter":3c0fv8px said:
Well I did it. I almost spent $550 on a 6 piece Bexter from the coop but drove 2 hrs to Morgantown Ky and bought a one piece one bale GOBOB PIPE FOR $750. It's still in the pickup. Let you know how much hay it saves me. It's very well made.

I didn't know there were available near me. Let us know how it works out.

Farminlund":34hwdkgb said:
Have not seen the feeders with the closely spaced bottom bars - does sound like it would approximate a skirt. Agree that they should last as long as the feeder rather than the normal, skirt falls off before it's time to retire the feeder (I have replaced them with plastic salvaged from useless/daamaged bunk feeders). What brand & where sold?

I am not sure of the brand, just some cheap ones that a local feed store carries. $169 a piece.

Latest posts