GoBob round bale hay ring feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":2r4am427 said:
quartermeter":2r4am427 said:
Well I did it. I almost spent $550 on a 6 piece Bexter from the coop but drove 2 hrs to Morgantown Ky and bought a one piece one bale GOBOB PIPE FOR $750. It's still in the pickup. Let you know how much hay it saves me. It's very well made.

I didn't know there were available near me. Let us know how it works out.
Yes, update would be good with pictures if possible.
In case anyone plans on feeding some buffalo...here are some interesting feeders.
http://www.actionsignsandbillboards.com ... eeders.php

hillbilly beef man":2pwjheor said:
Farminlund":2pwjheor said:
Have not seen the feeders with the closely spaced bottom bars - does sound like it would approximate a skirt. Agree that they should last as long as the feeder rather than the normal, skirt falls off before it's time to retire the feeder (I have replaced them with plastic salvaged from useless/daamaged bunk feeders). What brand & where sold?

I am not sure of the brand, just some cheap ones that a local feed store carries. $169 a piece.

Studying your picture. What are you doing there, moving the electric fence, then moving the hay rings, avoiding having to use a tractor? Used to. A gentleman here did that. Works good if you've got a few head far from the house.

Son of Butch":23mw36av said:
In case anyone plans on feeding some buffalo...here are some interesting feeders.
http://www.actionsignsandbillboards.com ... eeders.php

Chevy-Tahoe,
Actually this feeder is a slightly different from yours in that it doesn't have a fixed cone inside.
In these the bale is suspended by 5 or 6 chains. I like the chain idea because they swing, don't rust through and can't be bent dropping a bale in the way a fixed cone might and if a chain ever would break it's a simple repair with a fix it chain link.

The cone in the hay manager isn't fixed really. The cone is made up of heavy steel rods that are connected by an adjustable chain at the bottom that move and swing when you bounce the hay into them. They cone would be easy to fix with either a piece of chain or a piece of bent re-bar.

Thanks for the great pics & link to site where the chain sling/cone feeder was shown. I like that one but $$$, but so is hay! Also, the MO University study on hay waste (linked from the pics on the chain sling feeders) had a link to the Noble site hay waste calculator. It had 4 feeders to check waste using your inputs - no GoBob, chain sling/cone, nor a classic cone feeder.

Looking into getting a sling for the GoBob.

Bigfoot":3ewoo11e said:
hillbilly beef man":3ewoo11e said:
Farminlund":3ewoo11e said:
Have not seen the feeders with the closely spaced bottom bars - does sound like it would approximate a skirt. Agree that they should last as long as the feeder rather than the normal, skirt falls off before it's time to retire the feeder (I have replaced them with plastic salvaged from useless/daamaged bunk feeders). What brand & where sold?

I am not sure of the brand, just some cheap ones that a local feed store carries. $169 a piece.

Studying your picture. What are you doing there, moving the electric fence, then moving the hay rings, avoiding having to use a tractor? Used to. A gentleman here did that. Works good if you've got a few head far from the house.

You nailed it. I only need a tractor once or twice a year feeding like this, and mud is not much of a problem. Plus after it has rested for a year these places I have fed makes a good place to plant garden.

It's an excellent method actually. I sold my neighbor short actually. He was one of the best cattlemen I ever knew. He was really old school to. Worked everything in a medina. Preg checked by bumping. He was a wealth of knowledge.

Bigfoot":1jozdzuc said:
It's an excellent method actually. I sold my neighbor short actually. He was one of the best cattlemen I ever knew. He was really old school to. Worked everything in a medina. Preg checked by bumping. He was a wealth of knowledge.

Bumping? Explain this to an idiot Bigfoot. Cause I've never heard of this.

Bigfoot":1l03b7y3 said:

I am not so much old school as lazy and tight. It is easier to move one wire and 4 rings every time I need to feed than it is to ride the tractor 3 miles from dads place, plus it burns less fuel to bring it up here once a year than every few days. I also do not have to hook up the spreader to put manure on my garden.

JMJ Farms":2leg0cd7 said:
Bigfoot":2leg0cd7 said:

I am not BF, but a have saw my grandpa do it many times. If I rember right he would take his thumb and poke the cow real hard right in front of the pelvis down low. He could feel if a cow was bred, and could guess within a month when she would calve. He tried to teach me how to do it many times, but I never could get the hang of it.

hillbilly beef man":1zxxl9k0 said:
Bigfoot":1zxxl9k0 said:

I am not so much old school as lazy and tight. It is easier to move one wire and 4 rings every time I need to feed than it is to ride the tractor 3 miles from dads place, plus it burns less fuel to bring it up here once a year than every few days. I also do not have to hook up the spreader to put manure on my garden.

Even if you were doing it on your own place, it's still a good way to go. Eliminate the need for 4wd. Eliminate the need for a FEL. If your storing hay outside, you've already got x amount of ground tied up. Just spread them out a little more, and your ready to go.

JMJ Farms":12bckjk9 said:
Bigfoot":12bckjk9 said:

Basically, just a stab with your fingers. In that hollow spot behind the ribs, and in front of the hooks. He'd get real close. As close as rectal. He also hawked all the yards, and had a place for slaughter cows. Some he'd move on the week he got em. Some he'd fatten. Some he'd calve. Made a fine living on about a 100 acres, and loved doing it.

hillbilly beef man":2lj1p5k2 said:
JMJ Farms":2lj1p5k2 said:
Bigfoot":2lj1p5k2 said:

I am not BF, but a have saw my grandpa do it many times. If I rember right he would take his thumb and poke the cow real hard right in front of the pelvis down low. He could feel if a cow was bred, and could guess within a month when she would calve. He tried to teach me how to do it many times, but I never could get the hang of it.

I've never heard of that. Very interesting. What intrigues me more is how the first feller to ever do it figured it out! Necessity is the mother of invention :tiphat:

Couldn't find a price anywhere for the actionsign feeders. They look good if their one piece that's what I wanted.

You can figure out a lot if you have to. I spent much more time growing up with my WW II vet grandfather than I did in school. Learned more from him too. Any time I told him that I did not know how to do something his response was always "today is a good day to learn how". He was right,I usually did learn how.

hillbilly beef man":15uc30e6 said:
You can figure out a lot if you have to. I spent much more time growing up with my WW II vet grandfather than I did in school. Learned more from him too. Any time I told him that I did not know how to do something his response was always "today is a good day to learn how". He was right,I usually did learn how.

Folks like him are what made the mare trot. That's why most kids and even adults today can't poor pi$$ out of a boot. People don't have time to "teach". My grandpas taught me a lot too and I thank them for it.

I'm going to put a set of chains on my GoBob feeder tomorrow. still haven't fed a bale out of it yet. I'm also going to bolt some 6 X 6 under the 2 high sides, the two open sides, to close them up so hay won't get out. That will also act as skids and keep the whole thing out of the mud. That bright orange sure does stand out in the field. I'll post some pictures before and after.

Latest posts