Global Warming,,,you think????

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
The earth has always went through climate change cycles since the dawn of time. Ice ages came and went, tropical warm climates came and then were reclaimed by an ice age and then back to a balance. All of this took long enough to start and evolve a whole different animal species from dinosuars to various mammals. All of this happened without factories and SUV's or mathane gas from cow flatulance. The natural cycle that we are seeing now is just a slight warming trend that is almost identical to one that happened back in the early 1800's. That was also before SUV's. With all of the hoop-lah surrounding Al Gore's documentary / fiction movie this realism get's lost in all of the political posturing. The hottest year on record (since accurate records were kept) was 1998. Temps then declined and 05 was up again but not as high as 98. This tells me that we are on a cooling trend if the last 8 years have been cooler than 98. There are more SUV's on the road than ever since 98. The alarmism that is running rampant will cause knee-jerk reactions and legislation that could severely damage the economy. I hate it when political pandering gets in the way of true science. This year Hawaii saw it coldest ever temperatures. Is the next ice age upon us?

HOSS":23dn8pkq said:
The natural cycle that we are seeing now is just a slight warming trend that is almost identical to one that happened back in the early 1800's.

The concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is significantly higher than it was during previous warming trends, and will continue to increase.

Carbon dioxide concentration is the real concern.

Disconnected spot observations about cold or hot spots aren't really that relevant. In fact most the the computer models predict that some areas will experience extreme periods of cold even as the the global average temperatures climb.

If you don't like Gore or his movie, disregard them. But pick up any scientific journal that covers atmospheric science and you're going to find that most of the scientific information in that movie is sound. There is consensus among climatologists that humans are significant contributors to the phenomena.

Badaxemoo, you are right that the earth is warming. It has been for the last 18,000 years, hence no more glaciers. The difference is that the rate of warming is the lowest now than it has ever been, also remember that there is no science to back up that humans are the cause of any of the warming!!!!!!!

image192.gif

I was going through some of my husbands National Geographics a few years ago from the 1970's and on several covers was talk of the "impending ice age". When I saw them I remembered all the hoopla about that. Makes you wonder how in the heck you go from impending ice age to global warming in a span of 20 to 25 yrs. It's a crock of bull snot.

Anybody that has a brain realizes that the earth works on a cyclical clock, always has, always will. It seems nowadays people are gullible and easily led because they can't or won't think for themselves. Basically it goes back to, don't believe every thing you read and only half of what you see.

Duck

I'm ready for a little gobal warming, at this point in time, winter is getting real old.... I could use about 25 degrees more gobal warming were I live.

On a serious note, this gobal warming scare is a lot of BS. We will all die from a comet hitting earth, aliens, Iran, S. Korea, China, chicken flu, mad cow, west nile, aids, or our own politicians. The earth goes through climate cycles, ask T-Rex.

Alan

Tealduck":1vkcrzdv said:
I was going through some of my husbands National Geographics a few years ago from the 1970's and on several covers was talk of the "impending ice age". When I saw them I remembered all the hoopla about that. Makes you wonder how in the heck you go from impending ice age to global warming in a span of 20 to 25 yrs. It's a crock of bull snot.

So, you don't think that our ability to model climate change has improved since the 1970s?

Interesting.

I live in western/upstate New York and yea we've been getting a lot of snow.

We get it every year however for as long as I can remember, average annual snowfall for my little "mountain" is about 300 inches.
It normally doesn't make the news until other parts of the country start getting hit with it.

I'll go snap some pictures today.

This is not unusual for upstate New York (specifically the areas close to the lakes) so all the chicken littles will need to look elsewhere for global warming proof :lol:

smallrancher":2r003iab said:
also remember that there is no science to back up that humans are the cause of any of the warming!!!!!!!

I think the scientists that contributed to the research cited in these sources would disagree with you.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Dec25.html

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/sc ... rming.html

http://www.un.org/esa/sustdev/csd/csd14 ... oldren.pdf

http://www.pewclimate.org/global-warmin ... cience.cfm

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/02 ... index.html

Oh wait, you're right. There is no human element involved! Check this out!

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/green.htm

If Al Gore were reading this thread he'd turn to his buddies and holler " Fish On !!"

The key word os global, not local. An adverse affect one place can have a significant affect somewhere else, on the globe.
Kind of funny that we puny humans can;t really change the weather or the climate but yet we insist that we're the cause of the earths warming and cooling trends and think we can change that.

dun

I doubt we have a good handle on the cause. But, seeing several recent analysis and after watching a special on satelite last eveing with the likes of the ice glaciers melting in Iceland and the Ant-artic, one must be concerned.

The trend line over the past 30 or so years is the important factor, not an individual season.

The dumping of pollutants into our atmosphere canno't be good. It doesn't really matter if information is associated with Al Gore, Albert Einstein or whomever.

I like how the Global Warming Junkies jumped on the Hurricane issue stating that we are having more severe Hurricanes and can expect more due to Global Warming. They also predicted a worse year after Katrina but it did not happen.

Some of our worse Hurricane seasons happened in decades before the phrase Global Warming was ever coined. Level 3,4 and 5's have actually been milder in the past 30 years. Maybe Global Warming is helping calm them down.

Check out the past decades here.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastdec.shtml

I agree that the planet is getting warmer and I can't say that humans aren't contributing to it by burning fossil fuels. I do have a problem with all this talk of carbon dioxide, etc etc. The Earth has a constant amount of nitrogen, carbon, oxygen, and so on and so forth. The amounts of each element never varies, just changes form. The dinosaurs and plants from their time are what decayed to form the oil we burn today. So can somebody please tell me how much carbon dioxide was in the atmosphere back then when there was no oil trapping all this carbon we have today. By burning these fossil fuels we are essentially returning to the levels that were found during the ages of the dinosaurs. They seemed to survive pretty well in my opinion with the exception of the rock that came from space and made them extinct. Just another perspective on an argument that so many people seem to think they know so much about.

Status
Not open for further replies.