Give Me Your Thoughts On This Old Girl Please.

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

To make a long story short - have I ever done that?

I have a cow (great opening line for a cattleman) and she is an old, ugly sway backed, swinging bagged thing. I am almost ashamed to let folks see her. God only knows how old she is - but I will wager that if she is below 12 years of age I would have a bunch of surprized cattlemen on hand. But her health is good and she has an iron constitution - if there is no grass she eats anything green - if there is no green she will eat anything that could be considered - including thistle. She has never been sick a day in her life and winters outside in the snow. One of my originals that lived on straw for two years in the prairies.

She is quiet. She is a lead cow and she is absolutely dead easy to handle - even with her 30 in span of horns. Not a LH, but a good set for a HH.

Any coyote or dog in the field better be quick, because I saw her toss one in the air about two years ago - she is pure hell on wheels with strange dogs and 'yotes. My own dogs give her very wide berth at all times. Amazing how agile she is with that big bag. Yet as quiet as a church mouse in the pens and chutes.

She is a built in calf protector - and it does not have to be hers.

But .... I digress.

Every year she throws the biggest calf and weans the biggest calf. Unfortunately, from about three generations back she has a little Simmental in her and she sometimes throws a yellow calf.

Every year she calves out on her own and I have to run her into the squeeze to get the calf started. The calf is healthy, it just does not know how to latch onto those big tits. We have to teach it. Her tits are so big I cannot get my hand around them and we have to shoot her with Salix and Predef to dry her down a bit. She produces so much milk her bag has become quite - no - extremely over sized and to watch her walk for the first couple of weeks after calving is almost painful.

Once that is done, we have never had to touch one of her calves - because of her conformation, we always sell her calf at weaning - never want that set of udder genetics to come back into the herd.

Every year I say this is the last time I do this - she goes on the truck after the calf is weaned. Every year the wife and kids talk me out of it. This year I have wife on side - at last!

But ... it seems there is always a but - this year I had to pop a couple of the "guest" cows after they calved out. We have been bottle feeding the calves at great expense. We just kept them in with the cull cow field and when they were hungry they would come to the gate for a drink.

One day wife cuts "swing bag" and her calf out and puts them in the cull pen. Lo and behold both orphans latch on and she lets them.

Now most who follow this board know I am a "never let the sun set on a down cow" kind of guy. I always figure it is better to shoot something that is worthless than it is to spend big bucks doctoring. I was going to fatten her and put her in the freezer. But this old girl is yet again safe in calf and handling three on her own to boot.

So, I have been looking for an animal like this to take on the odd orphan - just never considered trying her on the job - too many cows and too big a pasture to run the cows in one at a time to try them out on the adoption issue.

Eat her or keep her one more year?

Whadya' think?

(Gawd dang she is uuuugly!)

Bez'

Based on what you have relayed, the pros far outweight the cons. I would keep her.

Bez

Keep her till she dies. Then have a funeral for the best cow you ever owned. Always seems like the uglier they are the better their calves. A couple of hours of calf training are a small price to pay for a top calf, calf sitter, and lead cow.

Bez'":wvav5n8c said:
So, I have been looking for an animal like this to take on the odd orphan - just never considered trying her on the job - too many cows and too big a pasture to run the cows in one at a time to try them out on the adoption issue.

Whadya' think?

Bez'

Bez..This is what you wrote.Every year she calves out on her own and I have to run her into the squeeze to get the calf started. The calf is healthy, it just does not know how to latch onto those big tits. We have to teach it. Her tits are so big I cannot get my hand around them and we have to shoot her with Salix and Predef to dry her down a bit.

So let me get this straight you want to keep her around to go throught this ordeal with every orphan calf.?Have you got time to do that?

Your choice..if she was mine she would be gone .Same with the calves.

frenchie":3miqmzcx said:
Bez'":3miqmzcx said:

Whadya' think?

Bez'

Bez..This is what you wrote.Every year she calves out on her own and I have to run her into the squeeze to get the calf started. The calf is healthy, it just does not know how to latch onto those big tits. We have to teach it. Her tits are so big I cannot get my hand around them and we have to shoot her with Salix and Predef to dry her down a bit.

So let me get this straight you want to keep her around to go throught this ordeal with every orphan calf.?Have you got time to do that?

We only have to teach the first one - by the time she would get an orphan on her she is down in milk from the Salix and Predef.

I just hate taking the two days to teach the original - so far I am with you - she goes in the freezer - but I have got the remainder of the family to go along with comments from the "gang" here before we eat her. (Sorta' sounds like she is burger bait already) :lol:

It is a pain in the @ss to start the first calf when she is bagged up tight. And it is always ME that has to do it!

Bez'

frenchie":1gjdimk0 said:
Bez'":1gjdimk0 said:

Whadya' think?

Bez'

Frenchie, re-read the post. I didn't take it to mean he has to teach the orphans, just her calf.

Hell you just as well keep her. I have one that I am also embarassed for anyone to see. She has been crippled for the last three years and I threaten to sell her every year (I know good and well she won't bring anything). Every year I run her up in the chute and she is 7-8 mo bred so I keep her and she usually has a good calf this year it happens to be one of the best calves I have. The calf is 4 1/2 months old and already weight close to 375- 400

msscamp":3qpk12hh said:
frenchie":3qpk12hh said:
Bez'":3qpk12hh said:

Whadya' think?

Bez'

Frenchie, re-read the post. I didn't take it to mean he has to teach the orphans, just her calf.

Even just her calf is a major pain in the butt.

Angus Guy":2lvne1df said:
Bez

Keep her till she dies. Then have a funeral for the best cow you ever owned. Always seems like the uglier they are the better their calves. A couple of hours of calf training are a small price to pay for a top calf, calf sitter, and lead cow.

I completely second that. Had an old girl here, probably 3/4 red angus (1/4 hereford, we think; now there's an interesting buying story, but not right now). She was the most intelligent animal of the Bos genus I've ever seen. Very gentle, very calm, great mother, and a heck of an Alpha female. Her hip was busted up about four years back, but we didn't have the heart to ship her. She healed up, walked with a limp, and gave us three more beautiful calves before she finally succumb to old age and her hip a year back.

To bring it back around to your story, I'd hold on to that old girl like a desperate guy to a hot date. Let her live and die with her family, by this point I think she deserves it. :)

Never in my wildest dreams did i expect to see replies like these on a board like this! :eek:

Ive had similar situations. Still have one. "The Big Teated Cow" was half angus and the other half was mostly charolais with a little hereford, she was a real pretty gray white face cow. had the first calf each year, each year i would plan to cull at weaning time but she'd be so close to calving (she got a little earlier each year) and i couldnt stand to take the discount when she raised perfectly good calves consistently. after all, i only had to teach one of her calves to suck, as it was just her front two that were ballooned, they normally found the back two and by day three or four had started sucking on one of the big'ns. she had 12 calves for us and last year i had to go out of town for a week and she calved the morning i had to leave. i assume the calf didnt figure out how to nurse her but i dont know that for a fact, anyway something happened to it while i was gone that week, so "the big teated cow" grew wheels at last. she brought decent money but of course i knew where she was headed. whats that saying? "theres no room for sentimentality in the cattle business." easier said than done.

The one i have now is a little bit different. shes a black cow, half beefmaster 1/4 angus 1/4 limousin. her picture has been posted before. anyway, of course shes a favorite, all the problem cows seem to have personality, dont they? well somewhere along the line she got some mastitis (beefmasters sometimes milk too much, i'm working on that) and as a result her right side no longer works. the other two teats will just squirt milk but stupid little calves only try the other side for some reason. so the last two years ive had to rescue her calves and she develops quite the attitude when she has a new calf. any other time she is real friendly and nosey but itis a pain working her that one time each year. i should sell her this year and probably will but other than that shes one of the better cows. we all have our dilemmas.

So Bez, I'm not going to tell you what to do with your cows. you know what you should do from a business standpoint. but you wouldnt be the first to have a cow with a lifetime contract either.

my 2cents here, since you asked. anyway the old gal. gives you a calf each year, runs off yotes, protects any calf, will eat like a longhorn, is a good mother.
only down side you need to jump start the calf.

my vote keep the old girl, breed her as long has she is able, then let her live out her days. sounds like a darn good cow.

i

I'm with the keep'er camp Bez'.

My old nurse cow is swaybacked and homely as the day is long but she throws really nice calves and drafting calves onto her was really simple.

There's a wildlife refuge about a mile and a half north and the yote's have been traveling. Most of the time just a lone animal. The other night there were two of them standing in the lane when I went to do chores. I must have startled them because they ran into the pasture close to where she was. Her calves were nowhere close but lit out after them like her tail was on fire. Might have to change her name from Molly to Flash....Man was that an ugly sight...

everybody's got the odd cow they should cull but if she's producing like that ya just as well keep her "one more year"

I would keep her. I would even try to retain a heifer out of her since she has been proven to be fertile a long time and stays in good health. Even though her bag is not what you consider a "10," the bull might take over that set of genes and give you a smaller bagged heifer. If you didn't like the heifer later on, you could send her on down the road.

Bez, I'm completely flabbergasted to read such a post from you.
At least you don't pet her, lead her in parades, and give her baths (which she would surely enjoy). :lol:

My opinion...if it only takes 2 days of work out of 365 to get the first calf (HER calf) to figger out where dinner comes from, and she will raise 3 others to average weaning weight...ummm...don't let the wife vote this year.

The cow will save you the cost of replacer, save you (or the kids) the time and hassel of bottle feeding and she will most likely bring all those calves to 300+ pounds...isn't that more $$ in your pocket than eating her?

I don't know...frenchie is probably right. Give her a lead boluse and enjoy the hamburg.

Keep her "one more year" and then next year, keep her "one more year", etc, etc. With the exception of having to help a calf attach, what's the big deal? You said yourself, she throws good calves, is protective, easily handled, and so forth. And now, you know she's GREAT with orphans. At least with her around, you wont have to worry about bottle feeding.....anything. If you want hamburger, eat another one that dosent have as much going for it.

Bez, could you post a pic of your "old girl"? And, thanks for starting this post! I have an "old girl" too. My son is constantly after me to ship her. I just can't do it. She has given so many great calves with no problems at all. I feel she's earned her right to die in peace on the place. I know this isn't the "business thing" to do, but it's good to hear some say there is room for sentimentality in the cattle business.

Larry McMurtry, a novelist coming from a long line of distinguished Texas cowpunchers once wrote "Cowboys are romantics, extreme romantics, and ninety nine out of a hundred of them are sentimental to the core."

Oh what the heck Bez--keep her another go-round. Many herds have at least one like her. :)

Latest posts