Give Me Your Thoughts On This Old Girl Please.

Help Support CattleToday:

Bez'":1zam1g73 said:
Angus Guy":1zam1g73 said:
Okay Bez what is the verdict going to be does she stay or go down the road?

I am going to try to get a pic of her - still leaning towards eating her.

No real persuasive arguments yet.

Bez

No heart string on this one, have played that song. sooooo

12 year old cow, r and g her, thinking an m2 age will make her an E cutter < if I was betting>. I would not want to eat that! :stop: like soup? :D

shes gonna b crap eating bez. By throwing her away ud be throwing away your best calf for a the next few years. what breed is she btw? shes so damn gross coz she puts it all into her calf!!!

whatabull":2ikr8i3q said:
Bez'":2ikr8i3q said:
Angus Guy":2ikr8i3q said:

Bez

12 year old cow, r and g her, thinking an m2 age will make her an E cutter < if I was betting>. I would not want to eat that! :stop: like soup? :D

Glad you folks think old cows make poor eating. How wrong you truly are. But that's because you keep eating those D culls that look like living skeletons.

That means you have never had a truly well finished Hereford - hung for 21 - 28 days.

You would have a different opinion of you did. :D

The poor cuts go to burger - you have eaten lots of burger in your life from cull cows - as has everyone.

This girl will make fine steaks and roasts - been there and got the T-shirt.

Wait for the pic. Will try this weekend,

Bez

ok Bez, everyone else wins. Lets get started on building her a shrine out in the pasture now.

Bez'":36i002zi said:
Glad you folks think old cows make poor eating. How wrong you truly are. But that's because you keep eating those D culls that look like living skeletons.

That means you have never had a truly well finished Hereford - hung for 21 - 28 days.

The poor cuts go to burger - you have eaten lots of burger in your life from cull cows - as has everyone.

Bez

An old cow that has continued to produce from year to year is an asset to the cowherd. There is no reason to junk the old rip because she steps on her bag. If she has the ability to raise multiple calves with no problems accept the 2 days of teaching her own calf to be the pay off. Her heifers could be kept to keep the productive side of the operation in tact but they should be sired by a lower milking, well uddered line. The bottom line of a commercial producer is to have EXTREMELY productive cows. Having them look nice is only a luxury that many cannot afford. NO matter how ugly she is with all the plus side attributes that I see you stating about her her only flaws are being ugly and having a bad bag. Keep her, she's not hurting your bottom line only your eyes and in times like you are going through you can't afford to send a cow like her down the road and keep one that isn't as productive, even if she does look better!

Bez'":2n2zbh4j said:
whatabull":2n2zbh4j said:
Bez'":2n2zbh4j said:
Angus Guy":2n2zbh4j said:

Bez

Bez

Hey Bez, I am not one to try to tell a man what to do with his critters. so not starting now. You know whats best in yall own herd. I am looking at a E cutter, in her.

looking forward to the photo, but good eats to you :)

Bez'":318a2zyq said:
Every year she calves out on her own and I have to run her into the squeeze to get the calf started. The calf is healthy, it just does not know how to latch onto those big tits. We have to teach it. Her tits are so big I cannot get my hand around them and we have to shoot her with Salix and Predef to dry her down a bit. She produces so much milk her bag has become quite - no - extremely over sized and to watch her walk for the first couple of weeks after calving is almost painful.

Bez'

its not the fact that shes got a big loose bag, its that her teats are inaccessible to her newborn. surely all four of them arent ballooned are they Bez? please tell me they arent.i still cant get over the fact that some of the supposed strictest cullers and cattle judges are saying keep this cow. :???:

I cull hard and fast. This one is proven that she can raise moneymakers. For 2 days trouble on his part she does repay him many times over. If this was someone that did not have the facilities to get the calf started I would advise otherwise. A cow that can raise a good calf with minimal problems on your part is worth a lot reguardless of what she looks like. If this was the first time around with this cow I would say cull. He knows what to expect and is prepared to do it therefore I would keep her around for another calf crop or two. The risk in keeping her outways the risk of taking in a replacement. He is dealing with a known here, in a replacement there are a lot of unknowns involved.

I would keep her as long as she can raise a good calf and not be too much trouble in getting a calf to nurse. I don't know how many cows you run, but if it's just a few the time you spend on her is probably worth it. Now, if you have quite a few cows and it's taking time away from the rest of them I would cull her.

Bobg

I'd keep her too Bez, heck I still got ol Gertrude and she can't be uglier than Gertrude!
bif

I have coyotes.

I have cows due.

Can I have your old, ugly, pregnant coyote hater?

Foxx":3tu01xec said:
I have coyotes.

I have cows due.

Can I have your old, ugly, pregnant coyote hater?

Sorry - she is daid. Will try one of her steaks tomorrow if all goes well.

There was a pic of her somewhere - on another thread - cannot remember the title.

Be advised I have several that will put the run to anything in the field - except people - - and for sure they even hate our own dogs - I am just waiting for one of the animals to step up to the plate and take over the lead position.

Sold her calf - it was around 476 pounds if I remember correctly.

Regards,

Bez

Latest posts