Getting Serious-Drought

Help Support CattleToday:

redlevel

Reaction score
All of Georgia suffering some degree of drought. I am located at the extreme Southern edge of the D2 or Severe Drought area. About a mile from the Flint in NE Taylor County for you Georgia folks. I travel down through SW Georgia about once a week, and it appears most crops there made pretty good. Corn harvest has been over for a month, and peanut and cotton harvest well under way.

I have been out of grazing for 10 days or so, butI found some good, cheap hay about 15 miles from me.

Hoping this breaks and I can get rye and ryegrass in by Oct 15-20.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?GA

Sorry to hear you are suffering. It is very dry here. We are on the edge of making a new record. If it does not rain by Monday, we will break the record of 37 days without rain. This is about as dry as I have seen here in 10 years. I think the heat is worse than the drought. It has been extremely hot.

Most of us look forward to the cool weather grasses that revive during the fall. We will miss that this fall.

After seeming like at least a year and a half of extreme rain conditions, it has sure turned of dry here too. Pastures are dried up and dusty, I am watering one group of cows and calves because the pond has almost dried up and we don't have a waterer in that one. Will probably have to start putting out hay before long.

Latest posts