Getting Rid of Mice?

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
Lately we have had big problems with mice in the house. How can we get rid of them quick? We cant really put poison out because of the dog and the smell of dead mice in the walls. We have traps out, but it seems like they completely avoid them. We need to get rid of them before there are more.

back in our old house we got some mice. we used those sticky trap thingys. corse we didnt have a dog runnin around. i can just see a dog runnin around with one of those stuck to his nose. :lol: other then that i dont know.

you could get a cat. you could put out more traps with peanut butter. you could put peppermint all around the house. (if you use peppermint candy it will eventually attract roaches.)

Cats are out, Im allergic to them. We have a bunch of the sticky traps out, but Ill try putting a little bit of peanut butter in the middle to lure them onto them.

We do live in a manufactured home (trailer, but it seems some people dont like them being called a trailer), should we put any traps underneath the house, because thats obviously where they are getting in?

get a five gallon bucket and pour a little bit of cow feed in it. just enough to attract them but not enough that they can jump back out. put it under the house and see how many you catch.
(no use on larger type rats like wharf rats, best to get a gun after those varmints. my cats like to catch them though, looks like they are carrying around rabbits..)

TxCoUnTrYbOy":2oy45p87 said:
We do live in a manufactured home (trailer, but it seems some people dont like them being called a trailer), should we put any traps underneath the house, because thats obviously where they are getting in?

1) Go through your house with a fine-tooth comb and stuff steel wool in any gap around anything that comes into the house - plumbing, gas lines, dryer vents - anything! Mice can chew through most everything except steel wool.

2) Bait your mouse traps with peanut butter.

3) Get a package of Ramix (Available at most feed stores, ag supply stores, and - I think - quite a few hardware stores. They are green pellets), put on some rubber gloves, and scatter the pellets under your house. Repeat as necessary.

What about cat's outside? I know you said that you are allergic, but if you don't have to touch them then you should be okay...right? Ever since we got some outdoor cats we haven't really had a mouse problem, just the occasional mouse.

Cats are definately out. We have a dog "shelter" (not taken care of good), and we often find dogs roaming our property. They will tear apart any cats around. There always seems to be some abstacle to whatever we need to do.

Use the large poison pellets and drill a hole through one to attach a piece of soft pliable wire to it. Use a two foot long 1 1/2 -2" diameter pvc pipe and drill a hole through the middle. Put the pellet in the pipe with the wire through the hole and tied around the pipe. Mice like crawling into pipes and will eat the pellet inside the pipe. That way the dog is safe. Check the trap everyday in case the pellet got loose form the wire.

I know you said no cats.... we have 6 outside cats I never touch, my wife keeps a bowl of food for them. We have lots of coyotes, 2 dogs the neighbors 3 dogs come over some. We have only lost 2 cats in 6 years. We have very few mice around, but see dead ones on the porch and driveway plenty. Cats are the way to go. Although I can't support getting a cat as a dog toy. BTW our dogs get mice also.

Alan

Jack Russell's are rat catching machines. When my nephew goes to the hayfield with me he brings his.

That little rascal will catch 'em and pile them up to show them off. :lol:

I use the sticky traps around the fridge and between cabinets where the dogs can't get in. Check t hem a couple times a day. It would not be unusual to catch two at one trap, as they start yelling for help, or whatever, and another mouse will come looking. Also, a lot of the baits have ingredients that will cause the mouse to dry up inside and they dont stink. You just find a mummified mouse. Careful with that around the dogs, though. Does the same thing to them.

I would go with the sticky traps if you are worried about your other animals. And do mouseproof the house. I haven't had a problem with them this year for some reason, but usually when everyone starte bailing hay, we get them bad coming in out of the fields.

I have also used shelled pecans as bait with lots of success.
Pecans are a natural food for Rats and Mice.
R.T.

I did put some peanut butter on one of the sticky traps last night, and we got 3 on there this morning. Last night somehow I managed to kill one with a wrench. I saw it take off on the counter, and I hit it just before it got to cover. Thats 4 down in not even a day.

The unbeatable aussie mousetrap . . .

Get a bucket (preferably steel), an empty drink can (coke or whatever), a bit of wire and peanut butter. Thread the can onto the bit of wire and make sure it is loose enough to spin. Then put the wire and the can so that it is over the top of the bucket. Spread some peanut butter on the can, and fill the bucket up half with water. The mice will climb out on the wire to get the peanut butter, but when they hit the can it will spin and they will fall into the water. Make it even easier for them by putting it near a shelf/box or using bits of wood so they can get onto the rim of the bucket easily.

Seriously, it never fails.

Also Jack Russels, disgusting little things though they are, actually do a good job of getting rid of mice and rats.

msscamp":3k6ze2kn said:
TxCoUnTrYbOy":3k6ze2kn said:

1) Go through your house with a fine-tooth comb and stuff steel wool in any gap around anything that comes into the house - plumbing, gas lines, dryer vents - anything! Mice can chew through most everything except steel wool.

3) Get a package of Ramix (Available at most feed stores, ag supply stores, and - I think - quite a few hardware stores. They are green pellets), put on some rubber gloves, and scatter the pellets under your house. Repeat as necessary.

As for number 1 - agree - except be sure it is STAINLESS or it eventually rusts away.

I have that T-shirt. ;-]

Bez>

somn":jbyhnksv said:
http://www.kness.com/Snap-E.html

Put some peanut butter down inside that hole they set with one hand. I've never seen a mouse get away yet.
Best mouse traps that I've ever owned. Baited them once with pecan and never again and it never missed. When they finally wore out I couldn't find them any more.

Thanks!

Bez>":3ljfa4vk said:
msscamp":3ljfa4vk said:
TxCoUnTrYbOy":3ljfa4vk said:

As for number 1 - agree - except be sure it is STAINLESS or it eventually rusts away.

I have that T-shirt. ;-]

Bez>

I wasn't aware that steel wool came in varieties, and was anything but stainless - I learn something new every day. Thanks, Bez!