Getting out of Conservation Reserve program

Help Support CattleToday:

sainty01

Reaction score
Does anyone know what it takes to get out of the conservation reserve program? Anyone have experience with terminating the program? What penalty if any is there?

Thanks.

I recently terminated a crp contract on some property. I had to pay a liqiudation fee, all the contract payments back plus interest.

On Saturday evening the office was closed and will remain closed until Monday morning.

Thanks Deno. I wasn't sure if it was even possible. I'm trying to move quickly on a CRP property that was offered to me at an excellent price but I am only interested in it as grazing not as an investment.

I would think the CRP contract is with the Seller and you are under no obligation to abide by the contract since you did not agree to it. However, I think most landowners who will sell their CRP land will require you to sign an agreement to continue the contract otherwise I think they are liable and not you.

I have seen some people get out of them very cheaply while others have to pay. Do you know anyone on the county committee? That is where I would start. Wouldn't raise any flags just yet.

My understanding is the contract carries with the sale and the buyer is under obligation as well. Depending on where you live, you can graze CRP land due to the drought.

OK sainty , you started this thread, so finish it now. You must have had time to call the authorities and get the correct answer. Speak!

Billy

Billy and everyone,

Thank you for the responses. I still don't have anything concrete to report. I've learned it is possible to get out of the contract the specifics of what it is going to take is still up in the air. As Jogeephus alluded to, I am trying not to throw up any red flags until I've made the deal. I will report back when I have more information. Thanks again.

All the contract payments plus interest. Is what I found out.

Yes.. the CRP program "follows" the land. If you buy it, it will still be enrolled unless you can negotiate the un-enrollment.

Latest posts