Gettin started. Alot of questions

Help Support CattleToday:

singlespsp

Reaction score
I was lookin into buying about 150 acres to raise beef cattle, grow corn, hay, and soy. Corn and hay to feed the cattle, and soy to rotate feilds and sell. I can build barns, silos, and fence line to keep initial investment cheap. Also I found a way to make irrigation for the crop and cattle very easy and cheap. I would think that equipment and my initial herd would be the most costly investment. I'm sure I've left out alot of factors for initail investments. How many heads could I support on 150 acres including the crop? And is it possible to feed my cattle with just hay and corn grown on my own farm without buying elswhere? What kind of investment am I looking at excluding the price of land? And what kind of return am I looking at?

I would talk to an agriculture expert in your country and friends that farm beef.I know that alot of Germany is similar to Canada but I don't think this is the place to get info for such a diverse subject.Although there may be members that belong to the forum from Germany.What part are you in who is your closest neighbor (Dennmarken , The Netherlands etc)?Love Germany especially Bremen ,Techlenburg and Triers.Best beer in the world.Good Luck to you and all the best.
Syd

Edit this
Sorry I didn't see that you had put the location down I will just look it up to see where exactly what part of the country you are in.I should just ask my neighbors and closest friends as they moved here 7 years ago from Bremen.Sorry they were not farmers so can not help with your questions.

singlespsp":2a33uef5 said:
I was lookin into buying about 150 acres to raise beef cattle, grow corn, hay, and soy. Corn and hay to feed the cattle, and soy to rotate feilds and sell. I can build barns, silos, and fence line to keep initial investment cheap. Also I found a way to make irrigation for the crop and cattle very easy and cheap. I would think that equipment and my initial herd would be the most costly investment. I'm sure I've left out alot of factors for initail investments. How many heads could I support on 150 acres including the crop? And is it possible to feed my cattle with just hay and corn grown on my own farm without buying elswhere? What kind of investment am I looking at excluding the price of land? And what kind of return am I looking at?

Wow - ambitious.

It will cost you more to do this than you will make in cows in many years.

Buildings and infrastructure - well, not much needed but some good pens and fences - but the cost of what you want to do will eat up any profit.

I am sure there are very few who start out from a true scratch position that make more than minus several thousand per cow per year when all is factored in.

So, please do not quit your day job - unless of course you are independently wealthy - in which case you can simply buy the best outfit rather than build it.

Research land costs, building costs, fencing costs, equipment costs, your personal living costs, taxes and then add in the price of a few cows and maybe a house to live in.

Good luck - we all started somewhere,

Bez>

Hey Bez have you been to Ramstein?I see that they have a big air base there and thought you might know that part of the country.
Syd

singlespsp":14k459u6 said:
You should have said you want to start in the States when you are done your tour.I thought you were in Germany and wanted to start there.I thought you were kind of nuts to ask here for info on a place that most people here have never been to :lol: :lol: Now I get it so just ignore my other post.Although German beer is still the best beer in the world.
Syd

Syd Sydney":uz2f1wdi said:
Hey Bez have you been to Ramstein?I see that they have a big air base there and thought you might know that part of the country.
Syd

A lot of years ago I landed there - letting out some personal info here - got very drunk - poured myself on the plane the next day and went to RAF Station Benson in Wallingford, UK.

I remember very little about my stop in Ramstein except how I felt physically the next morning. In fact I am sure I could not even find the Officers Club now if my life depended upon it.

That's it and that's all,

Bez?

Opps. My bad. I fogot to mention we'd be lookin to start this back in texas when I'm out of the service in 2009. We've got about $90,000 w/o a loan to play with and I've found land for about $50,000. With my wife working and me at home with cows and kids, the beef cattle world would be pretty fun extra income. If this is a dumb idea please don't be afraid to let me know. :)

I think that is a great idea if you have the money to play with without having to borrow and after all the sacrafices you have made for all and your country if that is what you want to do then enjoy.Just don't expect to get rich you really might but don't expect it.
Syd
Edit this

What the heck are you still doing up at 1:00 in the morning are you preparing for your future calving season? :p

I wouldn't screw with growing crops if I were you. I would grow all the hay you could. The cost of buying all the equipment for row crops would be too much. Historically, you can buy corn about as cheap as you could grow it. I know, I know, people are making money on corn now.

Thanks for the no corn thing. I didn't wanna grow it anyways. Is there much involved with hay as far as machinery goes? Oh, and I'm not an insomniac I promise, I just work night shifts. :)

There are mathmatical answers to the feasability of your questions but, the practical answer if your just starting is do your homework take good advice and do tons of research. If you're willing to do that and you can find a good mentor you won't get rich but it can be achieved. Don't let your dreams and hopes be squashed by an interweb forum and good luck in your endeavor.

Land and equipment will be your biggest costs. As far as cattle goes.. that can run into some money too. If you get your land paid for, that will be a huge plus for you. I can tell you this.. its not as easy as it is to talk about it. Get some expert help in the part of Texas that you are planning to start your business in. Plan wisely, and dont over-spend to start with.

Newb here too.

Have you given any thought to leasing your land rather than out-right buying?

Greg Judy has a good book entitled "No Risk Ranching" that spends alot of time talking about the advantages of not owning land or equiptment.

Might give you some things to consider.

Best Regards...

<///><

I also gave thought to buying the land and leasing it to others. This way I could enjoy the atmosphere and still consintrate on a full time job. Good idea or bad idea? :)

My first thought is where have you found 150 acres in Texas for $50000 that is $333 an acre. the only place I know of would be west Texas and you are not gonna run many cows on 150 acres out there or is someone giving you a special deal on the land

You won't be growing anything on that land. Land near the Mexican border is cheap right now because it is so dangerous to live there. Not to mention if you don't speak spanish you might as well be in Mexico. Some of the public schools down their don't even teach in english. I was down their back in 90 and the in announcments on the morning P.A. were done in spanish only.

Walt

Latest posts