geting cow to accept new calf

Help Support CattleToday:

whippoorwill

Reaction score
i had a calf still born today. thought about buying calf at auction tomorrow and trying to get cow to take it. cow is gentle. any words of wisdom,advice or tips would be appreciated. thanks barry

I would not try it if you don't want to have to feed the calf yourself if it don't work. but there are some cows that it works with.

Some will, some are hard. I use a product called o-no-mo. It is an powder designed just for adopting calves. If you have not got rid of the baby it also works to skin out part of the calf and put it on the new one.

i do still have dead calf. im hesitant to try this,i dont really want a bottle calf (lol) been there done that.lots of trouble.i could if i had too. just hate to carry dry cow for a year.

I have probably a 99% success rate. If you can find a baby try it and see. If nothing else you can sell the calf later. I have had to put the cow in the head chute for the calf to suck in the past but almost always the cow will finally take the calf. I seen a week old baby bring $250 yesterday just for adopting on a cow that had lost a calf.

A headgate, halter and a pair of hobbles. And some time. Usually we don't have too much trouble, but on average it takes 5-7 days for it to be a good solid pairing. For the first couple days we like to put the cow in the headgate and let the calf suck 2-3 times a day. After about 2 days, the cow's milk is through the calf good and it starts to smell 'right'. Then hobble her back legs together, and if she's really bad stick a halter on her so you can tie her up if needed.

The last couple years we haven't really even had to do much. If she wants a calf she will take it easy. Some will never take the calf...

^
Yup.
Sounds about right.
Recently had one with a stillborn too, took to her adopted calf pretty well this time...
Last season she took on a second calf that lost the momma (birth dam was a BEAST, had to go!!!)
She is a real heavy milker, kept up with 2 last time, but wasn't crazy about the adoptee then, much preferred hers for sure, even after time.
At least that experience made this grafting easy for her, she is very tender and mothering for the one she is nursing now.

with the price of feed and culls I can't see any economic benefit to letting a cow have a free meal ticket for a year in the hope she doesn't screw up again next year.

kenny thomas":2m508ozm said:
I have probably a 99% success rate. If you can find a baby try it and see. If nothing else you can sell the calf later. I have had to put the cow in the head chute for the calf to suck in the past but almost always the cow will finally take the calf. I seen a week old baby bring $250 yesterday just for adopting on a cow that had lost a calf.
99% Is pretty good, what do you think your rate is on getting a cow to take both calves if she has twins?

kenny thomas":6xs8fqgg said:
Some will, some are hard. I use a product called o-no-mo. It is an powder designed just for adopting calves. If you have not got rid of the baby it also works to skin out part of the calf and put it on the new one.

+1 on the o no mo. We try to milk the cow a little and wet the calf's back with her milk and then sprinkle the o no mo on his back with her milk!

I wouldn't do it. A cow with a dead calf here - regardless of 'why' - is leaving. Sold three last fall - and it was not 'their fault' - but I wouldn't feed 'em through two more winters before I had a calf big enough to sell.
Now, if I already had an orphan calf waiting in the wings, 'cause it's mama died, I'd try grafting it onto this cow, but I'm not gonna go buy a calf - which may introduce who knows what new disease into my herd - just to allow this cow to stay around.
By the time you purchase a calf and work with this cow to try to get her to take it - there won't be much 'meat left on the bone' at the end of the day.
You'll be $$ and heartache ahead shipping the cow.

3waycross":jqexl20o said:
kenny thomas":jqexl20o said:

+1 on the o no mo. We try to milk the cow a little and wet the calf's back with her milk and then sprinkle the o no mo on his back with her milk!

Won't the o-no-more cover up the scent of the milk? I thought that stuff just had salt in it to make the cow lick it off, then her scent is on the calf? I've used that stuff once with no luck but for other reasons. I've also heard of putting vanilla extract on calfs back so she licks it off.
Also be weary of sale barn babies, those place are full of bacteria for scours, etc. I'd look for a dairy calf or find another neighbor with an orphan and buy from the individual. Might cost more but saves headaches.
X2 on head catch to draft calf but it takes lots of patients. Tie a leg back and put calf on/ repeat as necessary. Good luck!

I put the cow in a head gate. Take a bottle of vanilla and cloth soak the cow's nose really good wipe the calf all over with the vanilla soaked cloth now "everything" smells right.

denvermartinfarms":259jprda said:
kenny thomas":259jprda said:
99% Is pretty good, what do you think your rate is on getting a cow to take both calves if she has twins?
I have lots less luck with getting a cow to accept both twins than I do adopting. But I really never try to get the cow to take both. She either takes them both or one goes on another cow or is given to a local kid.

thanks for all of the replys. went to sale today,only small calves were jersey bulls. figured they wouldnt be worth the effort. thanks this web site is a ton of help, barry

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... &gas=onomo

We use this product, Onomo. You wet the calf's hair down on the neck and shoulders and then work it into the hair. It has an amonia smell that the cows like. The mother licks it off the calf, and gets her smell all over the calf. You will still have to put the cow in a catch for a couple of days but it will shorten the time by several days.

We have close to 100% acceptance rate. If they don't take the calf, she gets a ride to town.

We never let a cow try to raise both twins, We have found that the cow will kick one of the calves off mid-summer and we are stuck with a small calf at best an a leppy at worst. It is easier just to pull the twin off and graft it on the next cow that loses a calf.

Put cow in headgate a few times a day and in between keep them together in smallish pen has worked pretty well for us, but it is not worth the risk of buying a calf and bringing home disease to your other calves.

Latest posts