Get off my foot!!! Best/worst experience??

Help Support CattleToday:

CP that would have been awesome to see on video!! :clap: I am sure you could have won the $10,000 prize money with that one! :lol: It is a wonder that you did not get your arm broke!

Nesi you were darn lucky that cow could jump!

My sis had a good size calf go over her and put a hoof into her abdominal wall. Laid her wide open and nearly punctured the stomach.

Years ago I followed a big steer calf into the loading chute. I don't remember if we were selling or what, but the calf backed up and caught me off balance. The next thing I knew I was laying flat on my back in the chute looking up at his belly. My father was at the gate and asked "What do you want me to do?" It didn't take me long to say "Turn him out!". Luckily the calf didn't step on me, but it wasn't a good feeling laying there under him and not having any room to get up.

Well, it's no surprise with the stories here that they say 25 times more people get killed by cows each year in the US than by sharks

djinwa":14r42mow said:
Yes, the tame ones are the problem. You get careless around them. I now keep my toes pointed away after a milk cow stepped on my foot and ripped my big toenail off. Granted it was a bit deformed already from being ripped off playing basketball years ago. For those who enjoy blood (toenail to the right):

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242 ... b4275d.jpg
Awwwww that's ugly! Your right, you ain't got the best lookin toes! :lol:

djinwa":18h86imb said:
Yes, the tame ones are the problem. You get careless around them. I now keep my toes pointed away after a milk cow stepped on my foot and ripped my big toenail off. Granted it was a bit deformed already from being ripped off playing basketball years ago. For those who enjoy blood (toenail to the right):

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242 ... b4275d.jpg
Apart from the toes, you have some lovely photos in that collection!

I've been kicked plenty, couple times in the family jewels, stepped on, had a bull re-arrange a gate with my leg. I was trying to get across that gate, but wasn't quite quick enough. You just have to wait till they are done with your leg in a situation like that.
But probably the worst was one time giving black leg shots in a crowding chute, a calf kicked me in the elbow while I was pinching up the skin on another calf and I stuck an 18 gauge needle completely through my left middle finger. All I could do was hold up my paw and stare in disbelief while screaming. Kind of unsettling looking at something sticking out the back of your finger. My wife, always the practical syringe filler, reached over and pulled it out so I would shut up. So far, I've never come down with blackleg.

Of the kicks, my best story was of a meanass cow "Samba" who was usually a great milker, but she had her calf, had colostrom, but never came into milk.. it was weird. Anyhow, we sold her on the hoof to a native fellow, and he came and slaughtered her on site. we get her nicely rolled over with blocks under her hips and start skinning. He's working toward the back end when suddenly there's still a live nerve somewhere in there and she nailed him just square in the nuts. So watch out for that... you can get sacked by even a dead cow!

Nesikep":3cnv9sc9 said:
Of the kicks, my best story was of a meanass cow "Samba" who was usually a great milker, but she had her calf, had colostrom, but never came into milk.. it was weird. Anyhow, we sold her on the hoof to a native fellow, and he came and slaughtered her on site. we get her nicely rolled over with blocks under her hips and start skinning. He's working toward the back end when suddenly there's still a live nerve somewhere in there and she nailed him just square in the nuts. So watch out for that... you can get sacked by even a dead cow!
great advice, expect the unexpected!!

Mine just happened about two weeks ago. I was behind one of my gentlest cows trying to push her down the alleyway by twisting her tail. She got as far as the chute and decided to back-pedal. I tried to jump on the pipe alley but wasn't fast enough. Her butt pushed against my right hip and my left knee was one the 3rd rung of the panel. I was stuck tighter than a ticks a$$ and she kept coming backwards. My knee was against the upright post and I couldn't go anywhere. Long story short we stood there until she finally got wormed past me and I luckily walked away with a bruised hip and a knee the size of a big grapefruit. No broken bones.

Another story is my bottle calf this year likes to jump and kick her heals. I was walking past her about 2 months ago and she ran right in front of me and did the heal clicker right in my groin area. I went down for about 30 min after that. I think she was aiming for me that time.

Not completely related but sort of fits. I have a prosthetic leg. It is held on by suction. When wading though mud I lost my leg, similar to how you would loose a shoe or mud boot. I had to resort to sitting down and pulling my leg out of the mud pit and this crawl my way out to drier ground and up to the house since I could put my leg back on until I had cleaned up some.

Santas and Duhram Reds":1yo4ctgh said:
Not completely related but sort of fits. I have a prosthetic leg. It is held on by suction. When wading though mud I lost my leg, similar to how you would loose a shoe or mud boot. I had to resort to sitting down and pulling my leg out of the mud pit and this crawl my way out to drier ground and up to the house since I could put my leg back on until I had cleaned up some.
Now THAT is a vision! Good story SDR!

Latest posts