Foot rot

Help Support CattleToday:

Copper sulphate foot baths can help if you can make something in a gateway for them to walk through. The lime that KT suggested sounds the easiest.

Ken

Is there some thing you can buy and put out to help prevent foot rot
Two very important questions for you to answer for me to respond. Where are you? Do you have fescue in your pastures? If you do have fescue, how mature is it? Does it have seed heads? I'm thinking the possibility of fescue foot. If it's that, get the animals off the pasture until after a hard freeze. If it's not the pasture, a copper sulfate based application of sort to the hoof/foot may help.

Two very important questions for you to answer for me to respond. Where are you? Do you have fescue in your pastures? If you do have fescue, how mature is it? Does it have seed heads? I'm thinking the possibility of fescue foot. If it's that, get the animals off the pasture until after a hard freeze. If it's not the pasture, a copper sulfate based application of sort to the hoof/foot may help.
Im pretty sure no matter where he or she is, the fescue would have seeded months ago and the seedheads would no longer be an issue.
Actually Newcutter didn't even say they had a cow with a problem, just ask what to do to prevent it.

Im pretty sure no matter where he or she is, the fescue would have seeded months ago and the seedheads would no longer be an issue.
Actually Newcutter didn't even say they had a cow with a problem, just ask what to do to prevent it.
I wouldn't expect seedheads to be the issue, but it's worth observing. Also though, realize that the endophyte causing problems is found throughout the plant, more so in mature plants. Seedheads usually are the culprit in creating acute problems such as fescue foot, but not exclusively.