Get off my foot!!! Best/worst experience??

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
Tonight my bred show heifer due June 16th, VERY docile, I call her 'Teddy Girl', sent me to the dirt with my foot under hers as I was getting away from the trough with my bucket, but obviously not fast enough. Luckily, this time, no damage.

Got me to thinking, the CT folk out there, if it hasn't been discussed already (my bad if it has), would have to have to some interesting best/worst experiences with getting stepped on or kicked by anyone in their herd.

PLEASE Share!!

Hehe, lots and lots of stories... Just got kicked in the shins by one of my cows... must have spooked her somehow, that sent me in the dirt... but only for a split second before I was mad and gave her a good one back.

I get stepped on OFTEN (it's a 'tame cow' type of injury), and somehow have never had any injuries other than maybe some bruised skin.

The best one was Rosie, who was a completely sociable and docile cow, about a frame 5 and 1400 lbs or so, would always end up stepping on me. Once I was putting some bales into a feed bunk when she stepped on my foot and just kinda looked at me... I leaned back, with my foot pinned to the ground, and gave her a haymaker to the snout, but a good one! she got off my foot, wiggled her jaw around to relocate it, and in the 12 years since then had only stepped on my foot once or twice... so you can't tell me she didn't know what she was doing before!

When I'm out with a bucket, there's usually a feeding frenzy like pirhannas to blood, and I usually end up getting stepped on at some point

Been stepped on and kicked plenty, only minor bumps and bruises though. But the worst was when a cow broke my nose while I had her in the chute trying to get a fox tail out of her eye. I had to finish running the herd through for vaccines, and my nose would not stop bleeding. After a few hours of blood loss I had to go to the ER to get it stopped. But I got all the cattle done first. :cboy:

I broke my carpal in my hand when we were vaccinating and hoof trimming one year... after it was broken I sure lost a lot of my strength in that hand, but got it done... Never did go get it looked at, and it's quite fine now. My dad broke 4 ribs falling off a haystack about 10 years ago

You must have been quite a sight after having a nose bleed and working cattle for a couple hours!

branguscowgirl":3t2ytsvb said:
Been stepped on and kicked plenty, only minor bumps and bruises though. But the worst was when a cow broke my nose while I had her in the chute trying to get a fox tail out of her eye. I had to finish running the herd through for vaccines, and my nose would not stop bleeding. After a few hours of blood loss I had to go to the ER to get it stopped. But I got all the cattle done first. :cboy:

Brangus, we must be related! I was yanking nails out of old barnwood with a hammer 2 yrs ago. (We took some old wood off the barn and put it up in the house--sounds crazy but looks neat). I yanked hard on one devil of an old nail, and hit myself in the face with the hammer. Broke my nose, blackened my eye. But refused to go to ER until I finished that set of boards! Still have blood all over the garage floor...

They re-set it but it's not quite the same...Now I have a visceral fear of pulling on things with a hammer.

I've had a couple of experiences where I took xrays myself and took them up to the hospital with me. Like when I got kicked and felt that something was broken so I went up to my Veterinary Surgery lay on my table and took an xray and found I had a fx fibula. I went to the hospital and told them I had a fx fibula and they said no they didn't think so, I flashed the xray, oh yeh so you do. Another time when mowing the grass a piece of copper wire penetrated about an inch into my thigh without leaving a mark on the skin. They said no there would not be anything in there, showed the xray, gulp, so you do. Another time a warmblood filly we were breaking in slammed me into a rail, I heard a crack and looked at the rail and it had not broken so knew it had to be me. I took the xray with me but that one was more obvious.
Ken

torogmc81":3ur94cfb said:
Tonight my bred show heifer due June 16th, VERY docile, I call her 'Teddy Girl', sent me to the dirt with my foot under hers as I was getting away from the trough with my bucket, but obviously not fast enough. Luckily, this time, no damage.

Got me to thinking, the CT folk out there, if it hasn't been discussed already (my bad if it has), would have to have to some interesting best/worst experiences with getting stepped on or kicked by anyone in their herd.

PLEASE Share!!

Some hospital time after a Holstein bull rolled me around in the yard for a while - I was able to get under the Massey 35 - he lifted it trying to get to me.

Dad shot the bull.

Bez

My worst one was when I was moving one of our Guernseys from one stall to another with a halter and she started to run, pushed me over into the gutter and I tripped and fell ahead of her, she jumped on my right leg just above the knee, another foot brushed my hand infront of my face. I didn't break anything but had a bump on my leg nearly the size of a softball for a few weeks, I can still feel a firm spot there on my leg and that happened nearly 12 years ago.
After we converted the barn to free-stall, my sister had a cow stand on her hand in the milking parlor, luckily I was nearby and could help, but it wasn't easy trying to lift the foot and try to keep her from possibly stomping back down. Her hand had a pretty nasty bruise but no breaks.

Bez, I'd have been upset had my dad deprived me the opportunity for my revenge on that animal.

Worst for me was a double tap to the shin by an a brangus. The pain was so bad I didn't even feel it for a few minutes.

Its obvious to me, that you all must have the wrong breeds! Docility is where its at... and then your cattle are as gentle as a new born pup!! :nod: :lol2: :lol:

Limomike":2phs4gsq said:
Its obvious to me, that you all must have the wrong breeds! Docility is where its at... and then your cattle are as gentle as a new born pup!! :nod: :lol2: :lol:
I prefer to call them healthy and vivacious cattle! :lol: If they don't fuss some, their sick and malnourished! ;-) :cowboy:

wbvs- It must be quite handy to have your own x-ray machine! I really need to watch for a good used medical equipment sale, cause I prefer to do it myself also! :lol:

boondocks- We just can't quit until the job is done! (Noses DO bleed a lot though! Not attractive! :pretty: )

I have been kicked, stepped on, run over, and run down multiple times. The most interesting was a old banana horned brindle cow that I roped who decided to climb up into the saddle with me. The cow had decided to kill me. The horse decided that the smart thing to do was to get rid of me. And I was just wanting to get my rope back. All of this made for a rather intense minute or two. Who knew a cow with hoof rot could move that quickly?

One of the most comical was a year ago. I was feeding grain to some heifers. At the end of the grain trough the heifers had a trail worn into the rotten hay, mud and manure. I was standing with my feet together because one had stepped on my foot the day before. A heifer cut across behind me. Her belly caught me and turned me around and knocked me down. I landed in that trail on my back. The trail which sloped away acted like a chute. I slid about 6 or 8 feet on my back in sloppy wet manure. The heifers all scattered and were looking at this crazy yelling cussing man laying in the manure. When I stopped sliding I am laying there thinking there is no nice clean way to stand up from here. By the time I got rolled over and to my feet I was covered with manure from head to toe. I stripped to my underwear in the backyard and left me clothes to be hosed off later. When I came into the house the GF took one look at me and said she cold tell it wasn't an inside job.

Dave":1mupttj1 said:
I have been kicked, stepped on, run over, and run down multiple times. The most interesting was a old banana horned brindle cow that I roped who decided to climb up into the saddle with me. The cow had decided to kill me. The horse decided that the smart thing to do was to get rid of me. And I was just wanting to get my rope back. All of this made for a rather intense minute or two. Who knew a cow with hoof rot could move that quickly?

One of the most comical was a year ago. I was feeding grain to some heifers. At the end of the grain trough the heifers had a trail worn into the rotten hay, mud and manure. I was standing with my feet together because one had stepped on my foot the day before. A heifer cut across behind me. Her belly caught me and turned me around and knocked me down. I landed in that trail on my back. The trail which sloped away acted like a chute. I slid about 6 or 8 feet on my back in sloppy wet manure. The heifers all scattered and were looking at this crazy yelling cussing man laying in the manure. When I stopped sliding I am laying there thinking there is no nice clean way to stand up from here. By the time I got rolled over and to my feet I was covered with manure from head to toe. I stripped to my underwear in the backyard and left me clothes to be hosed off later. When I came into the house the GF took one look at me and said she cold tell it wasn't an inside job.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Least you were young enough to get back up Dave! :D

Nesikep":32uhw9bh said:
Limomike, then they step on your foot and don't get off no matter what you do!
Exactly, thank you, how's a cow that won't come close to you going to ever step on your foot???
The more docile, the more careful I have to be with my feet. Pretty simple

I've broken my right foot four times in the same spot and my big toe twice in the same spot. That sounds like a lot but When you figure that I am in direct contact with an average of seven thousand head a day and have been doing that for fifteen years it's not so bad. :D
On my personal cows, I don't get close enough to get stepped on but I did have one try to shove my horse out of the way last year and turn my ankle around backwards in the stirrup as she went past last year... That sucked for a few days, especially since it was my left foot and I've had so many injuries to my right foot. I was walking pretty funny for a while.

The one that sticks out in my mind: I had my arm in a jersey cow that was flopping around and causing me to dance to try to stay on my feet. I got in up to my forearm and then gave her a big pull and hauled her a$$ back over my way and she lost her footing and kicked the leg out from under the cow next to her, who stomped on my left foot and then stayed there. I had my left foot under the left foot of the cow to the left of the one I was breeding and my right arm in a cow that was leaning hard to her right and getting ready to fall. I was stretched out like gumbie and couldn't get my arm out without falling and couldn't get my foot out. The cow I was in was trembling trying not to fall but losing about an inch at a time. Just about the time it was starting to hurt and there was no good option for getting out of the situation, the cow standing on my foot picked up her foot and me and the cow I had my arm in fell hard to the right. My arm came out but the force rolled me up under a cow that was about ten feet down from where I started. She lost her footing and sat on me... That was a rough day at the office.

I had an indian cow nearly run me over in a chute a month ago... The indians decided to run them down it while I was fixing it... I curled up into a ball on the ground and that cow went right over me. Was darned lucky I didn't get hurt... let out some not so nice words in the direction of the crew right about then

CP, that does sound like a rough day!