Foot Rot

Help Support CattleToday:

I had 5 cases of what I think was foot rot on day one they limp on front legs and day two it moves to rear legs but in each case including the Bull and gave a single dose on Generic Draxxin and problems gone.
The cows are standing around in the creek all day and the mud at the banks with hot weather. I just bought a Cap-Chur .22 Rifle and got to use it there for a couple weeks.

I had 5 cases of what I think was foot rot on day one they limp on front legs and day two it moves to rear legs but in each case including the Bull and gave a single dose on Generic Draxxin and problems gone.
The cows are standing around in the creek all day and the mud at the banks with hot weather. I just bought a Cap-Chur .22 Rifle and got to use it there for a couple weeks.
If there is a path that they travel daily some dehydrated lime spread in the path they travel will help prevent the foot rot. Some say helps treat it also but i like preventing it better.

"Iodine is an essential mineral for function of the thyroid hormones that regulate energy metabolism. The first sign of iodine deficiency is goiter in newborn calves. Iodine is rarely deficient in cow herds in the Southeast. Iodine is usually supplemented as ethylenediamine dihydroidide (EDDI). The maximum legal supplementation of EDDI is 50 mg per head per day. In some instances, EDDI has been included in diets to prevent foot rot; however, the amount of EDDI required to prevent foot rot is much higher than requirements and most likely will not prevent foot rot when included at the legal maximum."

UGA mineral paper is the Source

A little late for my input, but the cows are standing in the creek to cool their hot feet. Fescue toxicosis (fescue foot) will make the foot HOT and INFLAMED. NOTE BOTH symptoms. Foot rot as you are thinking might be inflamed only. Fescue toxicosis is best addressed by changing the diet by diluting or preferably removing toxic fescue (due to endophyte) from the diet for a time. Permanent removal should not be necessary.

Latest posts