Gert Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

tnwalkingred

Reaction score
I've recently bought a herd of pure bred Santa Gertrudis cows and am looking for suggestions on what breed of bull to turn in with them. Being located in middle TN the less ear you have the better and of course black is king. DMF has recommended a Charolais bull and I'm sure that cross would work really well. I'm also considering a Hereford bull as well as an Angus bull (I have a nice registered yearling that I've raised that would be a perfect terminal sire). Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

KW

Beside the char, being a good terminal cross...the Hereford is hands down the way to go, they complement those gerts as good as you can get...

If you go char or Hereford either one, I'd be interested in the heifers. Just pm me, if you want to sell them.

Here is a long bred heifer. She should have done calved. I'm riding out a streak of bad bull luck, so it's not here fault. She came from midtn. She'll be to big to suit most people taste, when she's done growing. She's easily a 1400 pound heifer. I like a big old sloppy cow though. I told the kids to send me a picture of her when they checked the cows this evening. I should have specified from the side.

We have a gert bull on hereford and angus cows. They will take a hit at the sell some, but overall they do ok. Ive read the gert/hereford heifers make real good mamas, although i aint keep none to see.

This is one of those instances where what ever you do will be a good choice. I have had Gert x Char and as Caustic would say "they mash the scales". Gert x Hereford makes a great replacement heifer. I had a man recently tell me he had some Gert x Angus cows that he really liked. In my area of the world, most of the calves will have some Brahman influence. A 1/4 or less Brahman influence ( a 1/2 Gert = 3/16) will sell as well as anything. I personally prefer red or yellow cattle.

I think Char or Hereford. We had a few char/santa cross made good replacements and terminals. Although never owned any, the hereford/SG cross sure make some fine looking heifers. Using a Char or angus bull on hereford/santa cross offspring, could be the real winner at the barn.

hereford with a gert, kinda seems breeding back to a herf. I crossed my Beefmasters with a Gelbveih. Knock horns off, turned them black, and tightened the leather up quite a bit. gert and Beefs are a lot alike. the ear is down to 1/4. And talk about growing like fertilized weeds.

All three are good crosses . I have done all three . Hereford is my favorite because I love the females. The blacks are good females and steers do well. The char cross are beautiful but the cows do grow big. Here are a few photos from previous crops.

Thanks for all the replies. I've got a couple months before I'll need a bull so it gives me some time to decide. I appreciate all your comments.

KW

The gert x char has been a proven producer on our farm for 25+ years. The calves sell well and they make fine mamas

These are some star 5's Gert\Horned Hereford cross females. They just had steers removed 2 weeks ago and heifers a week ago so they are in working clothes for sure. But are some of the best momma cows for my area in North Alabama.

Latest posts