Gert Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":13hvplht said:
Nice cattle..... but the 5th picture down to the left..that one of them exotics ? :cowboy:

Lol yeah a aprox 23 year old Brahman cross. She gets to do what she wants. She is the only cow that still has a calve on her in this pasture. Her calves don't sell with the rest too much leather. The old man says she isn't going anywhere and that is good enough for me. But she still gets around doesn't show any signs of struggling so guess we will see how long she makes it. The white in her face is gray hair not like the white on her belly.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I've just about made up my mind that I will use a Hereford bull. Any thoughts on whether I should use a horned or polled bull? The advantage to using a homozygous polled is that I wouldn't have to de-horn any calves.

KW

The black baldie heifers you got out of the cows is exactly what I want my herd to look like in 10-15 years and a big reason I'll most likely use a Hereford bull instead of a Charolais.

KW

Not having to dehorn calves is definitely a plus. I would choose which ever I had easiest access to and the highest quality for the lowest price. For me it just happen to be horned hereford. I will share though that I did have polled hereford bulls before that were very large framed and did not work for replacements with the already very large framed Gerts. I exchanged those large framed polled herefords for a smaller framed but rugged and meaty horned hereford. Not saying all polled herefords are large and tall animals or that all horned are smaller framed but I definitely didn't see the need of breeding 1600+ lb gerts that milk allot to 2200+ lb tall Hereford bulls. I rather breed them to a smaller framed 1800+ lb bull with less milk and is gentle and good movement. For my replacements. And remember you have heterosis in your favor in this mix. Actually a whole heck of allot between gert and hereford.

u4411clb":8dvragss said:
Not having to dehorn calves is definitely a plus. I would choose which ever I had easiest access to and the highest quality for the lowest price. For me it just happen to be horned hereford. I will share though that I did have polled hereford bulls before that were very large framed and did not work for replacements with the already very large framed Gerts. I exchanged those large framed polled herefords for a smaller framed but rugged and meaty horned hereford. Not saying all polled herefords are large and tall animals or that all horned are smaller framed but I definitely didn't see the need of breeding 1600+ lb gerts that milk allot to 2200+ lb tall Hereford bulls. I rather breed them to a smaller framed 1800+ lb bull with less milk and is gentle and good movement. For my replacements. And remember you have heterosis in your favor in this mix. Actually a whole heck of allot between gert and hereford.

Good post. And even more heterosis if the bull is linebred.

mrvictordomino":213sjscy said:
u4411clb":213sjscy said:

Mrvictordomino you hit on a subject that many have forgotten about and that is the predictability of linebred cattle. I would love to see some of your Victor Domino Herefords crossed on Santa Gertrudis.

BC":1hghtnch said:
mrvictordomino":1hghtnch said:
u4411clb":1hghtnch said:

Mrvictordomino you hit on a subject that many have forgotten about and that is the predictability of linebred cattle. I would love to see some of your Victor Domino Herefords crossed on Santa Gertrudis.
Me too!! :nod: