Genetics, Grass Fed/Grain Fed

Help Support CattleToday:

Guess ole ed thinks them spuds he eats with his grass fed steak was raised on grass to. As much plowing and a planting as ole ed does i would think dirt farmer would fit him pretty good. I don't think eds cattle could make it on fescue. They are to high maintence.

Here we go again... :stop:

[Quote from ED] "John250 you idiot--- LOL that was a quote by nova--- pls take the time to read the posts entirely before replying.. I forget you are the guy that finds the 2 minute read cumbersome , so we will definately continue to receive idiot posts from you."

People that live in glass houses...

These grass fed threads started out civil. Seems like they have degenerated into name calling, slander, and other things...

On the other hand, the "considerate posters" just consider the source and break out another cold one and enjoy the fun! LOL!

Beats watching fake wrestling and other reality shows... :lol2:

mnmtranching":1lekpfbh said:
Grass finished [if you want to call it finished] can never be any more then a small portion of the US domestic beef industry. I special interest market, an OK segment of the US beef industry.
Fact is, The US is the worlds largest importer of beef. All grinding grade beef except for the high quality fed beef that comes from Canada.
The reason we import so much? We simply don't have the cow numbers needed to supply one feeder calf per year to the US domestic beef supply.
The reason we don't have the cow numbers? We don't have the forage. Summer grazing and stockpiled.
The US does have the ability to feed more cattle. [corn, soybean and other feeds].
For instance, the US will buy all the feeder cattle Mexico and Canada can supply. All will go into feedlots.
The Northern States and Canada Are on stockpiled feed [hay] at this time or soon will be. This hay is mostly to Winter the cow herds and replacements. The only way this works for the US beef producers is to put feeders on grain in feedlots or on grain at home.
Simply is not practical to try get the desired weight and quality from feeding forage only. Even if it were available.

My only comment here is that grinding grade beef is imported because it is cheap. We are having dispersal sale after dispersal sale in much of the US plains cattle areas. This is largely because of low cattle prices. From what I see in my travels we could raise a lot more beef in the US if prices were higher. The grind beef customers especially want to buy the cheapest beef they can get - and that comes from outside the US. For the most part, they don't really care what it was raised on.... what do you think cattle imported from India are raised on? (I have no idea) And we do import BEEF from India among many other places. jmho.

Latest posts