Genetic defects/NH cows

Help Support CattleToday:

if your cows are positive for NH it means absolutely nothing. use a clean bull from now on and everything will be just like they were all negative for NH. you already have the cows and if you have something you want to register, it costs you $20 to find out if you can. if not, cut them and make them commercial calves.

I think the AAA ought to allow registrations of all females whether they are carriers or not and not allow carrier bulls to be registered. this would fix the problem without screwing everybody.

test the bulls if there is a question and dont worry about the females.

if you are selling cows because of this you are wasting money and time.

I sold my AMC cows.
I am doing what you suggested. These cows are something that I can handle and they raise fat calves.

DNA is all great, but I wish they'd have DNA tests for other things too, like "she won't milk more then a cup a day" or
or "her calves lap water like a dog and make a huge mess at the hydrant".
Seriously, as time goes on I think the AAA will have to change policies because EVERY cow is probably carrying some gene for something bad, it just hasn't been identified yet. As a veterinarian (I'm retired) I pulled TONS of freaky calves from all sorts of breeds, we always blamed it on poison plants or BVD but half of it was probably DNA.