Genetic defects/NH cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Betty

Reaction score
It is reported that cows of a carrier bull should have only 50% chance of being carriers. ALL of my best cows are NH.
I'm wondering if sweet disposition and NH are linked in some way.
Also, what are people DOING with all their cows? I can't sell these girls pregnant to slaughter. They are DOLLS.

It's a mess.

Where are you located? According to the other posts someone, like me, could use them for crossbreeding. Better than sending them to slaughter.

Betty":3078hbbv said:
It is reported that cows of a carrier bull should have only 50% chance of being carriers. ALL of my best cows are NH.
I'm wondering if sweet disposition and NH are linked in some way.
Also, what are people DOING with all their cows? I can't sell these girls pregnant to slaughter. They are DOLLS.

It's a mess.

I'm sorry you're in this mess. I've counted my lucky stars for weeks now that we didn't have any NH or AM animals in our herd. You've got some options with the cows. If you test each calf, you can continue to register the clean calves. Or you can use them as recips for embryos. Or convert them to commercial cows and sell all the calves for beef.

We don't have any cows with Bando 598 in their pedigree, but do have some cows/heifers bred to his sons/grandsons. So I'm anxiously waiting to see if any of the bulls we've used are Fawn Calf carriers. I just can't imagine that we'll have THAT much luck. :???:

rockridgecattle":2fjx9br3 said:
oh my stars,

Thanks Frankie for the link

You're welcome. If you're looking at buying Angus cattle, be sure that they've been tested free of this problem or are pedigree free. There are lots and lots of Angus cattle that don't carry AM or NH.

kenny thomas":vmm7q4m1 said:
Is there a list somewhere that shows which bloodlines could have each defect?

This link will search for all genetic carriers. May take a while, depending on your internet connection.

http://www.angus.org/Pub/Defects.aspx

If an animal is tested, there should be a designation on his registration papers, such as AMF for Arthrogryposis Multiplex Free or AMC for a carrier.

But it's always buyer beware. Know who you're buying from and if in doubt, ASK if the animal has been tested or should be tested.

Edited to add: It's not just Angus carrying these defects. If you're buying or using another breed that has used Angus to turn black, they may be carriers, too. So check with that breed assn for how they're handling these problems.

I'm just sad, that's all. I was hoping to be able to sell babies for breeding stock, was just getting started on that in a small way. Now they are all just meat.
It's a bummer. They are really nice square tame cows.
Thanks for your info!
We tested for AM -- thought we were lucky. Just tested for NH this fall. UGH.

Betty":1ik6mfjh said:
I'm just sad, that's all. I was hoping to be able to sell babies for breeding stock, was just getting started on that in a small way. Now they are all just meat.
Thanks for your info!

Well, you should still be able to sell statistically half of them as breeding stock so they are probably more than just meat. If all this is something of a hobby for you and you really like the "dolls", then don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Financially, if every calf has to be breeding stock, then you best move on.

Betty":2zzqxw44 said:
Thanks for your info!

Is/was there a specific reason you are breeding Angus?

Betty":13wr420s said:

Yes you can - it is done all the time

Dolls? That is why people perpetuate bad things - it gets forgotten that they are animals and we raise them to kill them

[Bez]

Statistically, 1/2 of them should be able to be breeding stock, but with the tests we did this fall, it seems that the best calves (highest weaning weights, best disposition, best phenotype) were NH. We didn't test them all (it's rather expensive) but almost everyone that we thought might be fancy enough for the State Sale ended up NH+.
We only have 18 cows, and it IS a hobby,mostly.
I am keeping some NH cows. They have to have some other "strike" against them to be sold.
We went Angus for calving ease and 'sell-ability' 12 yrs ago. Also our winters are frightful and the Angus don't seem to need a lot of shelter except for the absolutely WORST weather. We had dairy cross (red and white) cattle before these since l981. Had some shorthorns for awhile, seemed like THAT gene pool, the one we were using, had some problems, bad uddered, some had horns, some ji-normous calves. Black calves sell better here, found ourselves using black bulls, so got black cows too.
BEZ-You are 100% correct. I am going to ship SOME of them this week, and all the NH babies are going to the yard.

Betty":31yimqsn said:
Black calves sell better here, found ourselves using black bulls, so got black cows too.

Would your statement be true (average wise) after you dump the carriers?

I am in the same boat. I run a small Angus operation and tested for AM. I had a few come up positive then this NH came out and I had a few more positive. Well all were bred AI so I calved them out this fall but have not tested the calves yet.
I am not going to keep any positive cows. I don't do embryo transplant and it is just not worth testing calves every year. I would rather run non carriers. It is just much easer for me.
I have a small pasture about 3 miles from my home place and have put all the positive cows over there to calve this fall and just put a bull in with them. No AI for that group this year. I have plenty of hay so I will run them through the winter and sell them in the spring after weaning this year's calf when they are about 5 to 6 month bred. They are good cows and should fetch a fair price at the stock yard, long bred this spring when everyone has plenty of grass.
I have kept enough heifers that we just bred AI November 28th to replace them.

Now I read about this Fawn Calf thing and I have 589 blood in many of my cows. Hopefully this is worked out before spring. I may have to change plans.
If it is too bad I may just buy some Herford bulls and sell black blades.

Betty":3216axix said:
Thanks for your info!

That is terrible and I think I'd be more than just sad. Afterall, didn't you get stuck with a bunch of registered cattle last year with another disease like curly tail or something? I think after getting bit twice I'd either find another source for calves or possibly another breed to raise. I commend you for not peddling flawed genetics to bad more people can't see past a dollar. Speaks highly of you. :tiphat: