Gelbvieh vs Angus cows to create Balancers

Help Support CattleToday:

Birddog

Reaction score
I am looking at starting a new herd of balancers and wondering whether to start with Gelbvieh cows and an Angus bull or vise versa. I am new to the forum but it has been very helpful.
Thanks in advance

Six one way, half a dozen the other.

If you're thinking black angus, I'd rather have the gv cows with an angus bull, that way you don't have to deal with but one of the little jerks. Plus you can trade him in for a real bull later, much easier than trading in the whole herd.

Now if you're talking red angus, I'd just as soon have the red angus cows.

Are you talking commercial or Registered?

If commercial then get commercial Angus cows and put the best Gelbvieh bull on them that you can afford.

For a registered herd I would definately get Gelbvieh cows and maybe some blancer cows and AI them to selected Angus bulls that compliment them individually according to EPD's and phenatype then clean up with the best Angus bull you can afford.

I think you could do it alot cheaper by using angus cows and a gelbvieh bull. JMO that there alot more angus cows out there and if you decide you don't want to do balancers anymore you then can go to baldies, simangus, or even smokies.

Some good responses to this post; look at your sire selection and base your cow availibility on which way you want to go. Using angus cows with a good gelbvieh bull is not a bad thing, but if you can get some gelbvieh cows and a angus bull your doing pretty good to, and you have a bigger pool of sire's to fit your needs. I raise gelbvieh's and thats the way i would lean but good luck in your choice i don't think you can go wrong with this cross. :D

Double V

I am also located in Missouri (Southwest). Do you have any advice on where to find some good Gelbvieh cows to get started? Also have you ever tried the Red Angus cross apposed to the straight Angus?

3waycross

Can you elaborate why you would choose differently if it was a commercial her opposed to a registered herd? Thanks

Birddog":3d539mt2 said:
3waycross

Can you elaborate why you would choose differently if it was a commercial her opposed to a registered herd? Thanks

Mostly because commercial Angus cows are easy to come by. I didn't want to sound too much like a breed pimp by saying commercial Gelbvieh when they are going to be harder to find.

BTW....check your PM's.......go to the header right under where it says Cattle Boards and click on messages. I left one there for you.

I have many years experience crossing the two breeds as we run both purebred Gelbvieh and purebred Red Angus. The hands down most consistent calves come from using angus bulls over gelbvieh cows. Dont ask me why!

I heard an interesting theory the other day. The fella who said this is a pretty good cowman so I at least have to consider it's merits.

He says if you want to produce balancers to put on commercial herds that will make cookie cutter calves you need to breed a Balancer bull that is the result of a GV bullX Angus cowto a cow that is a Angus bullX a GV cow. or visa/versa. His theory is the it creates an homogenous bull that passes on more consistant traits. It sounds almost like making a composite breed to me but who am I to doubt him.

I have seen the results of this theory in action in some local cowherds and the calves are very consistant for phenatype. BTW for what it's worth they use red cattle of both breeds.

I don't know if this theory can be proven from a genetic point of view but I would like to hear some input as to what ya'll think.

For what it's worth I have seen a few of these bulls they almost have a mutt-like appearance to them but their calf crops are outstanding.

Latest posts