Gelbvieh Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Howard

Reaction score
I was wondering what would be a good breed to cross with purebred Gelbvieh to make a good mama cow and then what would be a good terminal cross to that mama cow to produce some nice calves. Thanks

Howard

I personally wouldnt use a Saler for anything unless you like repairing bones and fences. A good Angus , red or black would be my choice. As far as a terminal sire back on your Balancer cows, that depends on what you want out of you calves. Charlais would be great but your going to get alot of off colored calves, either smokey's or those peach colored calves depending on if the balancer moma is red or black. Personally i would go with a Sim Angus bull on those Balancer cows.

I'd put an Angus bull on the Gelbvieh cows. Then use a Char bull for the terminal cross on the resulting Balancer heifers. But your location may rule out some breeds depending on how hot/cold it gets where you are. Also the market you plan on selling on may influence your decision, you prob already knew this though

I really like the thought of having Balancer heifers but I'm a little nervous about using a char bull on them because I dont like the thought of pulling alot of calves and thats always a big concern with that breed. I live in Minnesota so I was wondering if there is any gelbvieh or balancer breeders in the state that could provide replacements.

Simmentals are quiet and "good natured." (most anyways) I would think that would make a good cross with you Gelbvieh :mrgreen:

I've heard that Hereford/Gelbvieh cross make some very good mamas. I think there are then many options on your terminal cross. Bear in mind that there are terminal type bulls in most breeds.

Gelbvieh xShorthorn is a very good cross, but remember good cattle on both sides of the cross are what makes the difference. If I ever figure out how to post pictures here I will show you all what they look like

double v":f0jk94b3 said:
Gelbvieh x any english bred = dollars.

I agree i just like the Shorthorn cross the best, now we are going back to Red Angus to complete the 3waycross. Should still retain the good growth and disposition from the GV's and maybe make a little better carcass

Hereford x Gelbvieh cows mated to Simmental bulls make for a success. I also would not breed anything to Saler, or have a Saler cross cow.

Gelbvieh X Hereford then bred to an Angus. That should be bang on for quality grade. If you just want heavy weaned calves, a Simmmenthal would work

If I was going to start over, and if I could convince my hubby, I would take some Shorthorn cows and breed them Gelbveih, then take the resulting heifers and breed them Charolais. I think that cross would be ideal. Red Angus would work as well, but I love my Shorthorns. Just think of the maternal characteristics in both the Shorthorn and Gelbveih breeds. Add the muscle of the Gelbveih, and then add the terminal characteristics of the Charolais, and you would get an awesome group of terminal calves!!!

We have 1 Shorthorn x Gelbveih cow in the herd, we raised her and she is proving to be pretty darn awesome!!

Just pay attention to the EPD's and BW of any bull you buy, you can get good or bad ones in any breed.....

3waycross":1hsryo8p said:
Gelbvieh xShorthorn is a very good cross, but remember good cattle on both sides of the cross are what makes the difference. If I ever figure out how to post pictures here I will show you all what they look like

Gelb x SH F1
IMG_0792_edited1.jpg

IMG_0785_edited1.jpg

IMG_0787_edited1.jpg

IMG_0793_edited1.jpg

TexasSimmentals":1fstjahw said:
Simmentals are quiet "good natured." (most anyways) I would think that would make a good cross with you Gelbvieh :mrgreen:
I have a couple Simm X Gelb and like them OK. That said, I like my Red Angus X Simm better. On their second calves, the British/continentals are out-growing the cont/cont crosses.

We have Gel/Ang Cows well majority are, and are various percentages... we put a MG on them. So far I love the result, and the final test will be this fall/winter when we butcher our first calf crop.

My main concern is good mom's, raise a good calf, and fatten for freezer beef.

Michele

Latest posts