Gate opening mess

Help Support CattleToday:

Using small trees to build what we called corduroy roads was a common practice at one time. Small trees that needed to be removed to open up a path for the road was the most common source, but I think road fabric would be more practical today.

When we first got our Kubota side by side, my husband tried to use it like one of the ATVs and he buried it while trying to cross a muddy ditch in the middle of an area that was torn up from heavy cow traffic. Fortunately we had replaced some fencing a few years prior and a pile of the old rotting wood posts were near by. We built a corduroy road in front of and under the ATV, and with a little bit of work we were able to drive it out of what looked to be an almost impossible situation.

I second the fabric. I put it down in my corral with 8" of stone and it's like concrete even with all this rain. Last winter the cows were belly deep and the calves couldn't even come in. I have also used it at our church to put a road in a pretty swampy area and it has held up great for the last 5 years

Lowes is the best price I have found for the fabric.. you have special order it online and it takes about 2 weeks to get in.

Go down to rhe creek and get dirt to fill the holes..... :shock: ....but I guess that might cause some of you to be swarmed by armed epa agents. :D

1982vett":3neqsby3 said:
Go down to rhe creek and get dirt to fill the holes..... :shock: ....but I guess that might cause some of you to be swarmed by armed epa agents. :D

I could probably get some sand/gravel mix from the river bank without problems, but I dam better not take one little drop of water!

Exactly what does the geotextile cloth do.how does it work?

Will it work laid on clay soil?

keeps the gravel going into the ground. acts like a big sheet so you have more stone taking the weight.

I just dug up 200' of drive I laid last year and with semi's, dump trucks, etc.. not one hole in the fabric and nothing was sunk at all.

You need to dig out the "mud", lay the fabric, then top with your gravel.
Gravel dumped directly onto the ground ends up "sinking" out of site. Just lets the "mud" slime thru the gravel, until all you have is mud and no gravel. Fabric holds the gravel "up" from sinking.

greybeard":3npt9vu8 said:
Does it allow water thru (to traverse downward) ?

yes.

i laid a long lane and sloped it to one side for about 400'. It drains nicely and no drop at all on the draining side.

Thanks for the info. I have an area on my driveway that has for years, had a hard top surface, all weather of some kind of really hard compacted clay, but in the last year, about 100' of it has developed some 'holes' where that hard clay has eroded away and everything I've put on it just sunk down. I'll give the fabric a try. A friend of mine that deals in surplus construction 'stuff' has a bunch of it.I'll see if I can get some of it. Thanks again.

I wouldn't clean anything off the surface before laying it down. Smooth will make your life easier though.
edited to add: as long as you are putting enough fill on top of the fabric.

i just put 1 - 2 layers of #2's down and then a couple inches of crusher. will work for a few years then need top dressed

Silver":1clfiqda said:
I wouldn't clean anything off the surface before laying it down. Smooth will make your life easier though.
edited to add: as long as you are putting enough fill on top of the fabric.

I've done it both ways with success. In my corral, I decided to get the topsoil and manure off of the surface as I believe cattle to be harder on a surface than about anything on the planet. But the roads and driveways I've done we laid the fabric right on top.

Did down a few inches and fill it up with gravel. We do that around our waterers.

holm25":29r2dak6 said:
Did down a few inches and fill it up with gravel. We do that around our waterers.
Around here, that won't last 1/2 a season. Just disappears, without fabric.
Last year, I had a whole truck load of gravel dumped in a wet hole in our laneway getting ready for a meeting/picnic. Gone before fall. Right now, you can get lost in the hole. Didn't take the time to put fabric down. :bang:

Like this:
f9js09.jpg

From a job I had in a former life ;-)