Don't mess with the baby!

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
Got to experience something new last week. My little herd of belties calved the first fall calf Thursday night/Friday morning. Saturday evening we pull in to a red fox running out of our drive. My thoughts went to our free ranging chickens wondering how many he got, but thankfully this time we must have run him off before the carnage. I walked the perimeter of my pasture (fenced with 4 strand poly rope - 3 hot) and everyone was in the far paddock getting ready for some evening rest. About and hour later my neighbor texted me and asked if everything was ok, as the cows were going nuts. That is unusual so I threw on some shoes, grabbed a flashlight, and ran outside to find my cows all trailing the newborn calf - like within a foot or two - and they were REALLY worked up. Everyone was hollering and the boss cow wouldn't stop licking the calf. My meanest cow (due to calve today) took off back to the far paddock running, which she never does, and spent a minute or two out there on the lookout, then came running back to the group.

So I'm thinking the fox, or possibly a coyote got into the pasture and the cows went into protection mode and ran off the offender. My cattle are dog docile, but you couldn't have paid me to step in there with them in that moment! Moral of the story - don't mess with the baby!

Latest posts