Gate latches

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
Trying to find a good way to latch gates in the corral. Itll be pipe gates and guardrail, I want something stout I can make something but would like to buy one to see and copy.

Most of our corral gates have 1/4" log chain and a sturdy carabiner style hook. The homemade gates in the high pressure spots have dead bolts made out of 1 1/4" solid rod.

SBMF 2015 said:
Most of our corral gates have 1/4" log chain and a sturdy carabiner style hook. The homemade gates in the high pressure spots have dead bolts made out of 1 1/4" solid rod.
That's what I planning on making, but I seen some that are one handle and double bolts that I liked but they're around $150. I might try making it next winter when things slow down

I use a chain and carabiner as well. I think some form of slide lock utilizing stout pipe with a chain as insurance would be better in high pressure situations. I need to learn to weld.

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/deluxe-gate-latch/BRW09/?srccode=GPSLT&gclid=CjwKCAjw4pT1BRBUEiwAm5QuRx0GAVMP_1i7PdyXCh9sFm2WcRKWQ4QILFLbam9HQLaA-rETXLytORoChPIQAvD_BwE
I really like this one and have used it for severe years.

Ky cowboy said:
SBMF 2015 said:
That's what I planning on making, but I seen some that are one handle and double bolts that I liked but they're around $150. I might try making it next winter when things slow down

The last time I went through Custer State Park in SD I stopped and took pics of their set up for working there buffalo herd. (Not sure where the pics went) There gates had a dbl slide dead bolt latch made out of 2.5" channel iron. Spaced about 16" apart .

I like the type that use gravity . They are basically a bit of rod with a handle on the end and sit in a pipe sleeve welded to the gate at about 45 degrees and they just slide up and down with gravity keeping them closed. Very simple easy to make and simple and easy to use.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
I like the type that use gravity . They are basically a bit of rod with a handle on the end and sit in a pipe sleeve welded to the gate at about 45 degrees and they just slide up and down with gravity keeping them closed. Very simple easy to make and simple and easy to use.

Ken
I like what you describe. One of the local sale barns has those gate latches. They took it one step further. The cut a groove in the pipe and welded an old horse shoe to the rod. Allow the horse shoe to slide down the groove and the gate is latched. Open the gate and turn the horse shoe 90 degrees and the latch stays open. The horse shoe works great for a handle.

Latest posts