Gardiner Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
I was reading something on the internet about Gardiner and it said that back in the sixties they were the first Angus operation that was strictly AI. Do they not use all those great herd bulls of theres for natureal service? They use NO natural breeding on there ranch? Can someone explain this?

No natural service as far as I know. They have state of the art AI and embrio facilities. I have seen picture of overhead veiws. They are pie shaped all meeting in the middle. In there catalog they have pictures of there new addition. It qite awsome. Why no natural service? I would guesse that they don't need to. MAny operations do nothing but AI and embrios. Also cuts down on disease and injury with out having a bull butting every girl around.

Scotty

CopeMan":n7xi50id said:
I was reading something on the internet about Gardiner and it said that back in the sixties they were the first Angus operation that was strictly AI. Do they not use all those great herd bulls of theres for natureal service? They use NO natural breeding on there ranch? Can someone explain this?

They use some of their own bulls AI, but they want to use proven bulls. Their aim is to sell bulls to commercial cattlemen. They sell all those "great herd bulls" and if they prove out, use them AI on their cattle, just as any Angus breeder can do. They're also deep into the embryo transfer business in order to produce more bulls from the top cows in their herds.

They were the first operation I heard of that leased cattle from commercial operations to implant embroys into. They ran out of land to increase their cow herd, so they leased their neighbor's cattle to carry their embryos and buy the calves at weaning. I think they also furnish bulls to clean up the cows if the embryo doesn't take.

Also to go with Frankie, using AI and embrio transfer they can sinc. all of there cows and calve on dates under their controle.(some what) Uniform calve crop and makes for better sales.

Scotty

As most people who frequent these boards know, I use Limi bulls on commercial cows. If I were to buy an Angus bull it would be from these folks. They have their act together.

Im sure theres ranches that have bulls just as good as Gardiners but there reputation is where its at. Any feedlot buyer knows what youve got when you say Gardiner calves....and any Cab lot will try hard to buy em from you. Rep is important if you watn top dollar for your calves

and where else can you go that an almost guaranteed AI stud bull is sold every year? not to count the ones they keep and promote themselves.

CopeMan":2omxbetc said:

Is his first name "Bill" Where is he located? I dont know why but I heard he mite be in TX?

the Gardiners live near Ashland, KS.

the dad's name is Henry, and the 3 sons are Mark, Garth and Greg.

Aero":te7dcvp3 said:
the Gardiners live near Ashland, KS.

the dad's name is Henry, and the 3 sons are Mark, Garth and Greg.

Dad went to school with one of the boys. They are good people

well thanks!

we are quite happy with what we have and the New Market calves are terrific.

we used him on a large percentage of the herd. the "concentration" was pretty much:
if a cow needed something fixed we might try another AI bull with one shot at conception. everything else gets either AI'd by New Market or bred naturally.

there are ~50 of his calves that hit our pastures this year.

Latest posts