Future

Help Support CattleToday:

Replacing the old timers with new blood seems impossible to me. Saw a for sale sign on a 40 acre bean field 2 miles up the road. Called the number and was informed the asking price is $499,000. How could a young person pay it off?

AdamsCreek":3b4oslde said:
Replacing the old timers with new blood seems impossible to me. Saw a for sale sign on a 40 acre bean field 2 miles up the road. Called the number and was informed the asking price is $499,000. How could a young person pay it off?

Similar situations here. I've seen many "farms", both row-crop and cattle/dairy for sale in recent years. 100 to 500 acres, many 100 acres or smaller going for close to a million or more. Couple that with the majority of the younger generation not being interested in agriculture of any type. And for the ones who wish to get into it, they can't afford to. Very few family farms/ranches are being passed on and continuing by the next generations. :(

Workinonit Farm":ox7quvb6 said:
AdamsCreek":ox7quvb6 said:

Similar situations here. I've seen many "farms", both row-crop and cattle/dairy for sale in recent years. 100 to 500 acres, many 100 acres or smaller going for close to a million or more. Couple that with the majority of the younger generation not being interested in agriculture of any type. And for the ones who wish to get into it, they can't afford to. Very few family farms/ranches are being passed on and continuing by the next generations. :(

The 100 acres down the road from me with nothing on it but a pond went for over 500k a few months ago.

Caustic Burno":2mew2qdf said:
Workinonit Farm":2mew2qdf said:
AdamsCreek":2mew2qdf said:

The 100 acres down the road from me with nothing on it but a pond went for over 500k a few months ago.

Around here, that would almost be a bargain.

Many of the places are being turned into subdivisions, & the larger tracts are turned into luxury homes on a golf course.

Workinonit Farm":3dgk2a4p said:
Caustic Burno":3dgk2a4p said:
Workinonit Farm":3dgk2a4p said:

Around here, that would almost be a bargain.

Many of the places are being turned into subdivisions, & the larger tracts are turned into luxury homes on a golf course.
That's exactly what's going on here. Plus we got a bunch that sold a house and a half acre in California to move here and buy the same house on 40 acres and still have money left over. Any place big enough to work full time is gonna have to be inherited. If a young person tried to buy in, farming probably wouldn't make the payments anyway.

Around here we have weekend farmers and city slickers with money buying up land. They are just using it for tax breaks and don't get the most out of their land so basically a waste. With them buying up the land they drive up the price where regular ranchers and farmers who know how to use it can't afford it. I remember when most of the land around here was used for feeders now it is full of city slickers who know as much about a cow as I do an elephant.

wacocowboy":274l1i1e said:
Around here we have weekend farmers and city slickers with money buying up land. They are just using it for tax breaks and don't get the most out of their land so basically a waste. With them buying up the land they drive up the price where regular ranchers and farmers who know how to use it can't afford it. I remember when most of the land around here was used for feeders now it is full of city slickers who know as much about a cow as I do an elephant.

The three area county agents actually put on a workshop on selling your land when retiring. Big bank and realtors had all the graphs and demographics for our area with the projected stats.

Young people don't know what it's like to work for anything anymore. Opportunity is there for those that can, want to, and will work. Things will have to be done differently than everyone else, or the way grandpa did it. For a cow/calf operation to profit it will have to be on paid for or leased ground. :2cents:

Caustic Burno":3347snrz said:
The three area county agents actually put on a workshop on selling your land when retiring. Big bank and realtors had all the graphs and demographics for our area with the projected stats.

What were the recommendations?

Stocker Steve":1s5zm7px said:
Caustic Burno":1s5zm7px said:

Prices were going to continue to spike in our area due to cheaper prices close to the big cities. They predicting it to double.

Caustic Burno":1f92syzy said:
Stocker Steve":1f92syzy said:
Caustic Burno":1f92syzy said:

Prices were going to continue to spike in our area due to cheaper prices close to the big cities. They predicting it to double.

I've been to Port Orange. How far to it and the big city?

Sixty miles the main take away was our land prices where behind the counties to west and our market was going to improve from US 59 east to the border.
Was an educational presentation on how to look at your acquired assets.

Brute 23":1xbst1vm said:
Leasing from absentee land owners is the way to go. It's not ideal by any means but it's the future and can be profitable when done right.
That's the conclusion I've reached Brute. The hard part of that is I wont pay as much as the deer hunters and the guys with the government horses.

AdamsCreek":2i6h3evp said:
Brute 23":2i6h3evp said:
Leasing from absentee land owners is the way to go. It's not ideal by any means but it's the future and can be profitable when done right.
That's the conclusion I've reached Brute. The hard part of that is I wont pay as much as the deer hunters and the guys with the government horses.

You have to go at them from the trust angle. That is more valuable to the good ones than cash. Don't just run cattle, offer to watch the places, help them find trustworthy plumbers, electricians, lawn care, ect. My dad does odd and end, handy man type work and 90% of his work is absentee land owners. It's a great "in" and most of them realize a trust worthy local is far more valuable then a high cash lease.

Caustic Burno":ulphyx47 said:

I moved to where I could afford pasture. I guess that means I am Cattle & Land vs. Land & Cattle. I still expect my land to double in value - - but it will be long after I am gone.

Did any of these stats speakers cover how much taxes, insurance, cost of money, upkeep, ect., would total up during the period it takes for land prices to double?

Steve they were predicting going from an average of 2500 an acre to 10K in ten years. That was a couple years ago and it's hitting 5K pretty commonplace now.

Well everyone keeps heading west and south 'cause they can't take the cold. That means there are (relative) land bargains in colder climates maybe?
In terms of selling grass-fed beef, it ain't no panacea, for us anyway. We can get a little bit of a premium (over Walmart, eg) but we're too far away from people with "crazy-money." If we wanted to drive it 4-5 hours south into the northern suburbs of NYC and sell it at farmer's markets, we could get more per pound, but then we'd have to hire labor for when we're gone.