Planning for the future

Help Support CattleToday:

tdc_cattle

Reaction score
I've mentioned elseware I've had cattle for a few years now. I basically started with little experience or knowledge of a cattle opperation, but really enjoy the cattle and want to keep learning and stay in the business. I'm trying to look toward the future and decide what path I want to follow.

Is there any money doing registered stock on a small scale? Right now I have 26 females but I see myself having 50-80. What about f1 replacement cows? What niche markets are out there? I don't want to sell beef direct to customers but its an option.

I'm interested in hearing lots of opinions. More then likely whatever path I choose is something that I'm going to be building toward over the next 5 years, notsometging I'm able to jump into immediately.

I don't know enough about registered cattle to offer an opinion. You mentioned F1 cows. I assume you're referring to raising Brahman x Hereford heifers to sell to others as replacements? The market for them will depend on your area. I don't believe you mentioned where you are, and I didn't see it on your profile. In the south and southeastern US you can just about name your price for good quality tiger stripe heifers, but you're likely to take a hit on the bull calves. I personally prefer raising Hereford x Brangus. Though they won't bring quite as much as the tiger stripes, there's always a good demand for the heifers, and the steer calves do well also.

With good quality animals, joining your local or state breed association and selling some animals at their sales, you can do pretty well with registered stock. Of course that depends on the breed and the area demand. It will take a few years to get a reputation for quality stock but once you get to be known you will have people coming to look you up to buy your stock.

I'm in southwest missouri. I currently have 16 Beefmaster moms and ten "black" cows. The Beefmasters should be registered but the seller never got me the papers, sore subject. I do have a good registered Lasiter bull and a good bull out of a lasiter cow and WPR's Total Package. I think that getting set up for A.I. Is probably a first goal. I am kind of thinking about getting some purebred/registered angus cows and using the Beefmaster bulls on them. Then for terminal cattle you should be able to bred those to a Charolais bull and get some fast growing cattle. I'm not really opposed to anything at this point, I'm just at a point that in want some direction other then "get cows" which was my goal for years till I got some pasture.

This will be the first calf crop with the Beefmaster bull on the black cows so I don't know what I'll get yet. The Beefmaster bull is colored like a Hereford bull so I'm hoping to get some nice baldy calves.

Latest posts