Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Help Support CattleToday:

Fair enough. I won't lie to anyone on this site or any other site. If we should someday meet, I think that would be wonderful and I most likely wouldn't be able to remember lies or exaggerations I've told. But the truth is always easy to remember.

Those two hay haulers I mentioned were a couple of great guys. Kenneth hauled for years. He'd always bring 50lb bags of oranges. Bags of pecans. He'd pull on the scale at the elevator to weigh and my Dad would stick rocks in between a few bales to make the load heavier. Kenneth would just laugh. When my first son was born you'd a thought he was Kenneth's grandson. He made a trip up with a little pair of wranglers, a pearl snap shirt, hat, vest, boots and a belt with my son's name on it. Not at our place, but somewhere he was loading, he slipped and fell off the front of the trailer down onto the decking between the tractor and trailer. He was hurt pretty bad and never made another trip back for alfalfa.
Richard Florida was the other guy. His last truck was a lavender Peterbilt. The frame was painted to match. It had lots of bells and whistles. I've seen him leave the field, loaded, and the front end of his truck come up off the ground and twist. Just a little heavy. He knew when the ports of entry were open and when they weren't. He'd show up, park his truck at my place, go in take a shower and go to sleep. We'd load him about 6pm and he'd head out just before dark. Richard had a fatal heart attack in an alfalfa field down around Larned, Ks. His next trip back, he was bringing his wife & kids and picking out a couple of steers for his kids to show in 4-H. Guess that was around 2003. I can't find his obit.

I should have my first cAlf on my place sometime this week I'm excited got her from a friend this will be her second calf should I leave her in the pasture or bring her up by my house.

Bfields30":2bh6zig6 said:
I should have my first cAlf on my place sometime this week I'm excited got her from a friend this will be her second calf should I leave her in the pasture or bring her up by my house.
If she is where you can easily check her I don't like changing that. If she can not be easily seen or taken care of bring her and at least one more to where you can look at her. As much for your peace of mind as anything else.

Bfields30":3oq9cmbr said:

Will she be alone? Is she alone now? I'd think keeping her with other cows would be for the best.

kenny thomas":jitslx2e said:
Bfields30":jitslx2e said:
If she is where you can easily check her I don't like changing that. If she can not be easily seen or taken care of bring her and at least one more to where you can look at her. As much for your peace of mind as anything else.
her and the cows are close to the house during the day and go towards the opposite side of my place at night. I was thinking just checking her every night if she's with them I think she will be fine though.

Hope all goes well with the new calf. Been interesting reading about how others have got started over the years. Im 31 and i bought my first cattle when i was round 22 i think it was. I didn't know much of nothing about them. Just took a notion I wanted to fool with some. Some family helped me early on and I became friends with a older couple who have really been my mentors and have helped alot over the years. As some others have said its an addiction, i love fooling with the cows. My herd has grown rather quickly since my humble beginnings of those first 3 heifers. Currently im looking at selling out of my hay equipment and focus more on possibly adding farm land. Hope to be able to graze more and just buy what hay i need. Good luck to you on your journey

Was under the weather yesterday took off today and went out around noon and seen she literally calved few mins before I got out there

gcreekrch":31d5tbcx said:
TennesseeTuxedo":31d5tbcx said:
Bfields30":31d5tbcx said:
It's a little bull calf when should I get him steered?

Anytime you desire. I prefer sooner rather than later.

Sooner than later is easier on the calf too.

And easier on the person catching and holding the calf. :nod: :nod: :lol2: :lol2:

gcreekrch":bzpm47zl said:
TennesseeTuxedo":bzpm47zl said:
Bfields30":bzpm47zl said:
It's a little bull calf when should I get him steered?

Anytime you desire. I prefer sooner rather than later.

Sooner than later is easier on the calf too.

Remember to count to two below the rubber ring after the pliers are removed.