Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":3p2t4wuf said:
kenny thomas":3p2t4wuf said:
I will give you a few ideas of how I started. In 1978 I bought 3 cows and put them with my father in laws herd. Finally got some free pasture. As I got a few dollars ahead I would buy another cow. Added leased land and cattle and added to the hours I worked. 100 hours a week was common. Several years later i had 200 cows, the tractors, hay equipment, and all the associated needs. Still worked 100 hours on my job or on the farm. Never went on vacation, never done anything if it didnt involve cattle. In 2001 and 2002 bought a Dodge 3500 and Wilson trailer. Paid for it in a little over a year hauling cattle for people. In 2014 my health failed and 4 surgeries and a heart attack later I'm down to 35 cows. I'm 61 and every part of me is wore out. Still working about 60 hours a week. 35 years on the job.
My point is that you should do what you feel like doing and can financially handle but you don't always think you must be the biggest. Enjoy it along the way. I wish you well,

It's a disease bought my first in 1970. The state of Texas chose for me to sellout in 1973 with a B branded on their jaw. Got a nickel to a dime a lb for cows I paid 300 to 325 for.
Apparently I needed extensive Psychiatric help cause I bought back in.
I am an addict to crossbred Brimmer cows. Never ran more than 37 it was all I could handle working.
We almost went broke in 79 when they tried that on us too. Got almost nothing for them. Had to sell even 200lb steers that no way could test positive ever.
In 82 we got a false positive and spent a summer getting them up and retesting.
I wouldnt go through all that again.

I'm 65. Grew up on a Kansas wheat farm. We had cattle and sold tons of small squares of alfalfa loaded onto trucks headed to Texas. Kenneth Sandlin from Greenville, Tx and Richard Florida from Farmersville, Tx hauled most of it. My Great Grandparents and Grandparents farmed the same land I grew up on.
I'm old school because I was taught it's bad manners to ask someone how many cattle they have and how many acres they own/rent. times have changed

Caustic Burno":2ldjcbr6 said:
kenny thomas":2ldjcbr6 said:
I will give you a few ideas of how I started. In 1978 I bought 3 cows and put them with my father in laws herd. Finally got some free pasture. As I got a few dollars ahead I would buy another cow. Added leased land and cattle and added to the hours I worked. 100 hours a week was common. Several years later i had 200 cows, the tractors, hay equipment, and all the associated needs. Still worked 100 hours on my job or on the farm. Never went on vacation, never done anything if it didnt involve cattle. In 2001 and 2002 bought a Dodge 3500 and Wilson trailer. Paid for it in a little over a year hauling cattle for people. In 2014 my health failed and 4 surgeries and a heart attack later I'm down to 35 cows. I'm 61 and every part of me is wore out. Still working about 60 hours a week. 35 years on the job.
My point is that you should do what you feel like doing and can financially handle but you don't always think you must be the biggest. Enjoy it along the way. I wish you well,

It's a disease bought my first in 1970. The state of Texas chose for me to sellout in 1973 with a B branded on their jaw. Got a nickel to a dime a lb for cows I paid 300 to 325 for.
Apparently I needed extensive Psychiatric help cause I bought back in.
I am an addict to crossbred Brimmer cows. Never ran more than 37 it was all I could handle working.
Cb what part of Texas are you in ?

Tyler County now.
I was running cattle on salt grass in Galveston county during the B incident.
Man it would be a long haul to a salebarn from there now.

Chocolate Cow2":3rpzmsux said:
I'm 65. Grew up on a Kansas wheat farm. We had cattle and sold tons of small squares of alfalfa loaded onto trucks headed to Texas. Kenneth Sandlin from Greenville, Tx and Richard Florida from Farmersville, Tx hauled most of it. My Great Grandparents and Grandparents farmed the same land I grew up on.
I'm old school because I was taught it's bad manners to ask someone how many cattle they have and how many acres they own/rent. times have changed

its still bad manners.

gcreekrch":1m08rk68 said:
kenny thomas":1m08rk68 said:

Almost the same story here Kenny, except I never got the bug to be a cow hauler ( my kid bought a good used liner this past fall and paid for it in three months) and I haven't had a heart attack yet, am deaf, need glasses, back and hands in tough shape as are my wife's.
We leased and traded cows for 12 years, bought her family ranch in 1991, built up cows and machinery when we could. Very little of it new. Near new is a much better buy. Added two neighboring ranches in the last 10 years.
Wintering 900 head here this year on our own hay and still haven't found the grass limits of this place. Will be 58 next May.

Thanking the Lord for the opportunities he has given us and the young folks we have employed the last few years when things got to be more than we could stay ahead of.
cant imagine caring for that many head..but here you'd run the tires off a truck seeing after em..not a farm that large,to support em..same way with row crops..places scattered here and there..and not always in the same county..

ALACOWMAN":20i0jfz9 said:
gcreekrch":20i0jfz9 said:
kenny thomas":20i0jfz9 said:

Almost the same story here Kenny, except I never got the bug to be a cow hauler ( my kid bought a good used liner this past fall and paid for it in three months) and I haven't had a heart attack yet, am deaf, need glasses, back and hands in tough shape as are my wife's.
We leased and traded cows for 12 years, bought her family ranch in 1991, built up cows and machinery when we could. Very little of it new. Near new is a much better buy. Added two neighboring ranches in the last 10 years.
Wintering 900 head here this year on our own hay and still haven't found the grass limits of this place. Will be 58 next May.

Thanking the Lord for the opportunities he has given us and the young folks we have employed the last few years when things got to be more than we could stay ahead of.
cant imagine caring for that many head..but here you'd run the tires off a truck seeing after em..not a farm that large,to support em..same way with row crops..places scattered here and there..and not always in the same county..

While our three deeded properties are 6 to 10 miles apart, there are no others in between, only our range land we rent from the govt. for summer grass. My wife and I left the house at 8:30 am and were back at 2 pm. A little snow plowing and a load of hay on my gooseneck in the mix. Chores done.

Thanks guys for all the feed back I really appreciate it I've had a lot of help so far haven't had to buy any equipment yet my neighbor both put hay out for me I'm slowly but surely just getting stuff I need for the time being. And I know sometime this yr I'll buy a small 40-50 hp tractor that's in the budget main focus is getting a good bull in the next two months.

Bfields30":379o5lu4 said:
Thanks guys for all the feed back I really appreciate it I've had a lot of help so far haven't had to buy any equipment yet my neighbor both put hay out for me I'm slowly but surely just getting stuff I need for the time being. And I know sometime this yr I'll buy a small 40-50 hp tractor that's in the budget main focus is getting a good bull in the next two months.

My suggestion is not to buy a tractor under 60 hp. It is big enough to move bigger bales.
Nothing worse than not having a tractor big enough. Don't just look at hp look at wheel base as well.
The most dangerous tractor I ever owned was a short wheel base fwd 50 hp. I stood that tractor on the FEL several times moving hay before trading it in.

http://beeffax.tamu.edu/files/2013/09/2 ... E-319-.pdf

Huge difference in moving an 800 lb bale versus 1200 lb.
Never know what Ma nature is going to deal you. You could sell any size around here this year.

ddd75":2id7cqae said:
Chocolate Cow2":2id7cqae said:

its still bad manners.

Bragging is much worse.

Caustic Burno":jrfoqbay said:
Bfields30":jrfoqbay said:

My suggestion is not to buy a tractor under 60 hp. It is big enough to move bigger bales.
Nothing worse than not having a tractor big enough. Don't just look at hp look at wheel base as well.
The most dangerous tractor I ever owned was a short wheel base fwd 50 hp. I stood that tractor on the FEL several times moving hay before trading it in.

http://beeffax.tamu.edu/files/2013/09/2 ... E-319-.pdf

Huge difference in moving an 800 lb bale versus 1200 lb.
Never know what Ma nature is going to deal you. You could sell any size around here this year.

I agree 100 percent. Buy enough tractor.
Hp is not every thing. For example the JD e series. I think it's everything from 45 to 75 how is the same tractor. Same except pulling and PTO power. You go to 85 and you get a bigger machine with more lift. Do your homework.

Chocolate Cow2":2o36ew3u said:
I understand that, and respect it, but it helps when everything is an unknown, you are just learning and you don't know who to listen to.

I never ask, I was taught the same thing.

Being new to cows is hard to relate to for folks that are 2 or more generation into it. You know so much you don't know what all you know.

It is always bad manners to brag. TT is a master of the obvious.

I understand the "it's bad manners to ask" but I can also see if from another point of view. If you don't ask you can't learn BECAUSE so many that do the asking don't have any family or "past history" to ask from. I am guilty of asking. Mostly because I want to know how a person manages to do what they do on what they have. Can I learn something that they are doing to improve the way I am doing it? I am always impressed with someone who is doing more with less. And we are spread out too much, and with the downturn in the market, are questioning what and how we are doing some things.
One thing that we struggle with is how to balance our time due to full time jobs, and the size we have gotten to. So I like to hear what others have and how they balance it with their other obligations.

My grandmother and great grandmother had 10 cows and they shipped milk on RR cars to NYC from Conn. but that was before I was born. My dad helped as a kid and hated it. He had a couple of horses until he met and married my mom. I got some chickens when I was in 4-H and was always drawn to the "farming life". My grandmother said I was a throwback to Granny's generation.

I started out milking on a dairy after I got divorced. A family friend had been a dairy farmers' daughter and I spent time with them but the dairy was already closed down and they were only raising some heifers. I answered an ad for a milker, got the job and started raising some bottle calves. Got into some veal raising for awhile. Then moved about a days drive south to "enemy territory".... I was a Yankee and moved to Va !!!!! Needed the distance from an ex and the climate here was more conducive to farming due to the longer growing season. Added a calf here and there, bred my heifers/cows. Kept a few beef cows and some nurse cows. Got a job milking and did some AI relief breeding for a SS rep. Worked waitressing inbetween. Then after a bad car wreck, and 2 years of full time waitressing, got the job as a milk tester. Got me back in contact with more farmers, and when my son came south to stay full time, started to expand. Both of us worked full time. Have had to sell out twice due to finances, but always got back in. Now up to between 150 - 200 cow/calf operation. Lot of rented, leased land. But we have lost a couple of places due to sales and will be cutting back a bit to accommodate. Feel like in a couple of years, with many older going out and prices forcing some others out, there will be more places around to rent again. I am 65 and wanting to slow down a little, and the job is fading out due to the horrible shape the dairy industry is in, and many of the farmers are getting older and no one to take them over. Many smaller dairies going out and they will never come back, so my job is being phased out by circumstances in this area.
We buy good registered bulls, and buy and sell some cows. Raise some replacement heifers out of our better cows. Make all our own hay and do some custom. Make and sell small square bales as that is where some cash flow comes from. Sell feeders at 450-600 lbs. off the cows. We are a commercial operation. Might get a little smaller for awhile, and see where it is going. We do as much rotational grazing as we can and sell a few grassfed beef some years. I still have several nurse cows and raise calves on them because I like my dairy cows. Milk for the house and try to be somewhat self sufficient, garden and such. Like most of the hard working farmers and ranchers on here I guess.
One thing I would have done differently, I would have sold more when the prices got crazy high, and made a bit more hay or rented less land, or just had more grazing available for what we had. We did not buy or expand then, but should have sold at least half of what we had and had cash money to sit on. I sold all my own heifers, but my son did not sell many of his and in 3 years we could have bought twice what we sold, for the same dollars. A lesson that was well learned.
One thing here that drives the land available, is that the owners that do not run their own animals, get to begging for a farmer to make hay or graze their places so they can get the land use tax which is about 1/3 or so of normal taxes. So when there are not as many people around doing it, and next thing you know, they cannot find anyone to rent it... they get desperate to keep it under land use. It runs in cycles. The only thing that is against that is all the development and that the bigger parcels are getting more spread out. It will be interesting to see what the next 5 years will bring here.

farmerjan":333vr3o3 said:
I understand the "it's bad manners to ask" but I can also see if from another point of view. If you don't ask you can't learn BECAUSE so many that do the asking don't have any family or "past history" to ask from. I am guilty of asking. Mostly because I want to know how a person manages to do what they do on what they have. Can I learn something that they are doing to improve the way I am doing it? I am always impressed with someone who is doing more with less. And we are spread out too much, and with the downturn in the market, are questioning what and how we are doing some things.
One thing that we struggle with is how to balance our time due to full time jobs, and the size we have gotten to. So I like to hear what others have and how they balance it with their other obligations.

My grandmother and great grandmother had 10 cows and they shipped milk on RR cars to NYC from Conn. but that was before I was born. My dad helped as a kid and hated it. He had a couple of horses until he met and married my mom. I got some chickens when I was in 4-H and was always drawn to the "farming life". My grandmother said I was a throwback to Granny's generation.

I started out milking on a dairy after I got divorced. A family friend had been a dairy farmers' daughter and I spent time with them but the dairy was already closed down and they were only raising some heifers. I answered an ad for a milker, got the job and started raising some bottle calves. Got into some veal raising for awhile. Then moved about a days drive south to "enemy territory".... I was a Yankee and moved to Va !!!!! Needed the distance from an ex and the climate here was more conducive to farming due to the longer growing season. Added a calf here and there, bred my heifers/cows. Kept a few beef cows and some nurse cows. Got a job milking and did some AI relief breeding for a SS rep. Worked waitressing inbetween. Then after a bad car wreck, and 2 years of full time waitressing, got the job as a milk tester. Got me back in contact with more farmers, and when my son came south to stay full time, started to expand. Both of us worked full time. Have had to sell out twice due to finances, but always got back in. Now up to between 150 - 200 cow/calf operation. Lot of rented, leased land. But we have lost a couple of places due to sales and will be cutting back a bit to accommodate. Feel like in a couple of years, with many older going out and prices forcing some others out, there will be more places around to rent again. I am 65 and wanting to slow down a little, and the job is fading out due to the horrible shape the dairy industry is in, and many of the farmers are getting older and no one to take them over. Many smaller dairies going out and they will never come back, so my job is being phased out by circumstances in this area.
We buy good registered bulls, and buy and sell some cows. Raise some replacement heifers out of our better cows. Make all our own hay and do some custom. Make and sell small square bales as that is where some cash flow comes from. Sell feeders at 450-600 lbs. off the cows. We are a commercial operation. Might get a little smaller for awhile, and see where it is going. We do as much rotational grazing as we can and sell a few grassfed beef some years. I still have several nurse cows and raise calves on them because I like my dairy cows. Milk for the house and try to be somewhat self sufficient, garden and such. Like most of the hard working farmers and ranchers on here I guess.
One thing I would have done differently, I would have sold more when the prices got crazy high, and made a bit more hay or rented less land, or just had more grazing available for what we had. We did not buy or expand then, but should have sold at least half of what we had and had cash money to sit on. I sold all my own heifers, but my son did not sell many of his and in 3 years we could have bought twice what we sold, for the same dollars. A lesson that was well learned.
One thing here that drives the land available, is that the owners that do not run their own animals, get to begging for a farmer to make hay or graze their places so they can get the land use tax which is about 1/3 or so of normal taxes. So when there are not as many people around doing it, and next thing you know, they cannot find anyone to rent it... they get desperate to keep it under land use. It runs in cycles. The only thing that is against that is all the development and that the bigger parcels are getting more spread out. It will be interesting to see what the next 5 years will bring here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uRyIMqXA_o8

Very Cute CB.... been here longer than I was north. Been here since 1981, north 28 years, south 37 years. Friends here say I am a southerner by adoption.... First off I am an american... and an adopted southerner who is proud of my yankee roots. My mothers family came over on the Mayflower and more shortly thereafter.... my dad's family is a mix of french/german/ and some Mohawk Indian... so have my family roots planted in the north but I do love my own Virginia roots.

farmerjan":124r7hr3 said:
Very Cute CB.... been here longer than I was north. Been here since 1981, north 28 years, south 37 years. Friends here say I am a southerner by adoption.... First off I am an american... and an adopted southerner who is proud of my yankee roots. My mothers family came over on the Mayflower and more shortly thereafter.... my dad's family is a mix of french/german/ and some Mohawk Indian... so have my family roots planted in the north but I do love my own Virginia roots.

Our original family farm was in Wolf Den Maryland in the 1600's.

Latest posts