future breeding stock..what do you think..

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
some possible keepers.
calves2008march014.jpg

calves2008march020.jpg

they have been getting barley for about a month (-30C weather) they are up to 2.5lbs a day
calves2008march025.jpg

I think my baby might be havin' a baby...thoughts?
calves2008march021.jpg

a real looker
calves2008march019.jpg

Pretty decent looking youngstock. As far as the one that you think might be bred, it's hard to tell by a picture, but she does have a gut and if she was with a bull, it's certainly possible. And ya, it does look like you amputated some ears there. Freeze did they?

All look good enough to give it a try. The number 2 I may cull but even then thats only cause she look small.

those are some nice heifers.an yes that heifer looks like she is carring a calf.i think id have her preg checked.to see if she was bred.

I don't think I would keep the dark red heifer.

Yes it looks like you may be a grandfather!

3waycross":3bgkbihn said:

that would be grandmother!!lol
if you are talking about pic 2 we were thinking on the same lines. She was a possible in November. We want to only keep the best of the bunch

If you're breeding for ears, I know one I'd cull! I can't imagine it getting cold enough in S. LA for that to happen to us. We get one or two mild freezes a year.

Horticattleman":3nn48xb4 said:
If you're breeding for ears, I know one I'd cull! I can't imagine it getting cold enough in S. LA for that to happen to us. We get one or two mild freezes a year.

It gets very cold in Missouri; BUT if cold did that by itself every cow in Canada would be earless. That is very probably fescue toxicity. The edophyte in the fescue causes diminished blood flow to the extremities making ears, tail switches, and even hooves much more susceptible too frost bite than they would be normally. That can happen as far south as the Black Belt in Alabama if the right mix of fescue infestation, soils, weather, and genetics occurs. IF I am right, that farm COULD use an introduction of clovers into the forage base.

Brandon
That calf was likely born in the winter or late spring. Ears like that are not very uncommon in calves born in Jan to March. When we sell calves like that buyers discount them because they fear they may have frozen feet as well. I think they really just want them for less. We had windchills in the minus fifty range this winter and I had some calves get trapped up against a fence and there are likely a dozen or so that lost parts of their ears. :|

rockridgecattle":2wwdxs5l said:
3waycross":2wwdxs5l said:

that would be grandmother!!lol
if you are talking about pic 2 we were thinking on the same lines. She was a possible in November. We want to only keep the best of the bunch

Sorry Grandmother :oops:

I was talking about the one in pic 2.

The others are nice heifers!

pjr":datcsqae said:
Brandon
That calf was likely born in the winter or late spring. Ears like that are not very uncommon in calves born in Jan to March. When we sell calves like that buyers discount them because they fear they may have frozen feet as well. I think they really just want them for less. We had windchills in the minus fifty range this winter and I had some calves get trapped up against a fence and there are likely a dozen or so that lost parts of their ears. :|

My fault there. My reading comprehension is slipping it appears. The cattle are Canadian rather than Missourrian. I got that confused in the back and forth, so unbearable cold probably does have more to do with those ears than diet. Sorry.

If we get the right wind and cold, a calf can freeze it's ears in 5 minutes. We had a surprise guest yesterday afternoon. Temp -16C. wind chill, -31C.
Froze the ears half way. got them thawed. ended up getting the calf up to nurse in the mat pen, froze them again. Will probably end up like that looker cow.
the calf we had last night is from a hiefer, not due untill March 14th at the earliest.
there must have been some frost on the camera...it was stinkin' cold today
calves2008march050.jpg

Winter is definately not through with us yet. Those ear muffs look prettyl cute. :wave:

Isn't that ironic. We, down in the south, get penalized for too much ear - you get penalized for no ear. That carcass don't have ANY ears, though.

No disrespect to you Canadiens and Northern Folk but if'n it were me I would me making tracks for the mid-south to southern USA and leave that -0 stuff behind. I like the 4 seaons but in moderation :) Jeez! I'd hate to have ya'lls feed bill and your homes heat bill :lol:

Nice heifers by the way......I'll take them any day.

Latest posts