Fulblood cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
What is a Fullblood? I know it is used with Simmental, but are there any other breeds? I only have reg. Angus cattle but i am looking into getting some Fullbloods. Also, are there any differences in a fullblood and a purebred?

Angus Cattle Shower":1cz7dsqz said:
What is a Fullblood? I know it is used with Simmental, but are there any other breeds? I only have reg. Angus cattle but i am looking into getting some Fullbloods. Also, are there any differences in a fullblood and a purebred?

I think a purebred id considered 86% or somepercentage and a fullblood is 100%.

With fullblood you get to pay extra. For the extra pay you get extra bragging rights and thats it. Good for impressing other people that paid extra for bragging rights. Not good for anything else.

A fullblood is 100% of that breed - of the old country bloodlines.
Purebred is 93.75% of the "old country" bloodlines but has another breed in there, even if it is very very little.

Simm's I remember had a big sqaubble about this a couple of years ago. Someone wanted to call their's fullblood but yet they were black. So even though they are very high percentage Simm they are called purebreds. Same with Chianina, Salers, and just about every breed.

Now in some registries the hybrid can be purebred after 3 generations (on both sides). Such as Chiangus and Simangus.

Latest posts