Froze to Death

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
I like to froze to death today hard mist to a drizzle rain with 20 mph north wind and 49 degree's.
I swear it was below zero when I came off that deer stand.

Caustic Burno":22clifyu said:
I like to froze to death today hard mist to a drizzle rain with 20 mph north wind and 49 degree's.
I swear it was below zero when I came off that deer stand.

puzzy... :cowboy:

i thought ya'll had heaters in those condo's you call deer stands :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I don't have a box stand won't hunt out of one. I use ladder stand's out in the element's.
After my hands and face got wet I couldn't get warm to save my life.

Caustic Burno":29fq9sdi said:
I don't have a box stand won't hunt out of one. I use ladder stand's out in the element's.
After my hands and face got wet I couldn't get warm to save my life.

All kiddin aside once you hit a certain point you really can't get warm. Glad you didn't freeze to death!

I hate that feeling. It creeps me out. What's really scary is when you get it when it's 70* while layin in bed. I'm glad you made it back ok.

Deepsouth":2fbhh9hp said:
Come on CB you have to give us more info than that. Did the deer move or did you freeze your butt off for nothing?

I froze for nothing dang squirrel's didn't even move, game was in lock down.
Usually with the barometer falling you get to see some game. I haven't seen a deer since monday.
Had a doe at 15 yard's on monday and gave her a pass. Back pasture and bottom is full of white oak's, you can't put your finger down without putting it on a deer track.
I have spent plenty of time repairing electric fence with the rut on it is amazing how you can go 11 month's nothing.
Then for one month it is a battle, I never cease to be amazed at how tangled up they can get electric wire and barbwire and there is no deer in it. There will be enough hair to weave an Indian blanket.

if the cows aint up and moving nothin else is either..went out last nite didnt see squat..didnt even see anyhting

We're ready for some cool rain or just some rain. Sitting here hunting in shorts right now and the deer aren't moving but the turkey are. Supposed to get cool Monday and the bucks will be moving.

A dizzle and 49 isn't froze to death weather. Saturday I took a little hike in the elk killing grounds. Really just checking for new logging and road wash outs. The entire 3 miles walking back to the truck I had a 30 mph wind blowing a hard rain into my face and it was't over about 40 degrees. Still not freezing weather but I have been more comfortable in my life. Oh, and it is deer season but a deer would have to have been about 10 feet in front of me because i sure didn't look up too often.

Ryder":3384xee5 said:
Dave":3384xee5 said:
A dizzle and 49 isn't froze to death weather.
Yes it is!! Down here it is.:mad:
49 and a drizzle...... That is shorts and tee shirt weather. Seriously, I would probably put on a jacket but maybe not. Beings as he was sitting, I would put on the jacket.

Dave":ho059a9s said:
Ryder":ho059a9s said:
Dave":ho059a9s said:
A dizzle and 49 isn't froze to death weather.
Yes it is!! Down here it is.:mad:
49 and a drizzle...... That is shorts and tee shirt weather. Seriously, I would probably put on a jacket but maybe not. Beings as he was sitting, I would put on the jacket.

I have worked with northerners that get a chuckle out of our cold weather. but I give it back to them when its 105 and they think they are melting. 49 & drizzle is cold.

I have worked with northerners that get a chuckle out of our cold weather. but I give it back to them when its 105 and they think they are melting. 49 & drizzle is cold.[/quote]

49 and drizzle isn't cold. But anything over 90 is hot and anything over 100 is too dang hot to do anything but find air conditioning.

Dave":3qflmhwp said:
I have worked with northerners that get a chuckle out of our cold weather. but I give it back to them when its 105 and they think they are melting. 49 & drizzle is cold.

49 and drizzle isn't cold. But anything over 90 is hot and anything over 100 is too dang hot to do anything but find air conditioning.[/quote]

My best friend is from Mo. and tells me all the time this is ten times colder than Mo in the winter.
He say's it never stop's raining in our winter.

Youngest girl and her husband manage a ranch in Montana where it gets cold in the winter. They were home last Christmas. The son in law, my two sons, and I were standing around in the backyard. My sons and I were in shirt sleeves. The son in law was wearing a coat. He said that we were tougher than he is because he hadn't taken off his coat since he got to Western Washington. That wet cold does tend to go right through a person.

A lot of what makes you hot or cold depends on what you're adapted too. My dad used to say that 10 degrees doesn;t make much difference but it depends on what it's on top of.10 degrees on top of zero isn;t diddly but 10 degrees on top of 100 is a lot. I spent a year in Iceland and came back in early spring. In DC I was walking around in a short sleeve shirt and comfortable to a little too warm. Every one else was wearing heavy winter clothes and were still cold.

A few years ago I did a late season bow hunt for mule deer in SE Idaho between Christmas and New Years. It was about 5 degrees and snowing. I felt warmer on that hunt than I did when I got back to 40 degree, rainy and windy Tennessee weather. I about froze sitting in a tree stand before daylight. The coldest I have ever been was a late season bow hunt in Illinois when the wind chill was -40 and the snow was whipping across an open bean field. I was 20 feet up in a tree along a hedgerow. By 9 a.m I was so numb I didn't think I could climb down.....I let deer walk by because I was too cold to draw my bow. I don't bow hunt Illinois after Thanksgiving these days.

CB.. I'm with ya on when my hands get wet or cold, along with my feet.. it just makes it more miserable to be out there. But ever since a couple years ago, I got these new Ninja Ice gloves, and I use them for when Im hunting AND doing outside work during the winter. Keep your hands dry AND warm.

Latest posts