Friendly Wager

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
backhoeboogie":2kh04v62 said:
msscamp":2kh04v62 said:
Well, around here we have 2 year-old heifers and 3 year-old heifers and then we have cows. I guess it just depends on what part of the country you're in.

Are you serious? Never heard that, anywhere,

If she's a mother, she's a cow.

They didn't say anything about her being a mother. :D

Caustic Burno":1ejz4u8k said:
What about these fancy heiferette's. ROTFLMAO

LOl, I think it is Schoolbook rancher term. Heifers and Cows. four year old Heifer is someones food. :roll: Hmm a young Bull is Now what? a Bullet.

Around here we have "1st Calf Heifers" "2nd Calf Heifers" and "Cows". So after she has her second calf, she becomes a cow.

Caustic Burno":bk6s1hsq said:
A Heiferette is one of those heifers that calves and then doesn't breed back. See at least a couple of them a year as I load them on the truck.

Susie David":3e9exq8e said:
Ok then...why is a animal that has had a calf and not being rebred called a heiferette.
Maiden...I like that term, sounds good, like my Maiden Aunt Clara; though it just doesn't sound right calling them maided cows. Guess I'll stick with heifer.
Heiferette is not an official name, as cow, bull, heifer or calf is.

I have always heard the term used the same way msscamp and milkmaid said which makes sense being how we are in the same area.

Cattle Rack Rancher":2udex5dg said:
Caustic Burno":2udex5dg said:
A Heiferette is one of those heifers that calves and then doesn't breed back. See at least a couple of them a year as I load them on the truck.

Got to reading on this and Cattle Rack Rancher has it right as far as the definitions I saw on what a heiferette is.

It is a heifer that has had her first calf, but not re bred. One that can still make the grade on the rail or put back on feed to be fed out for slaughter.

After looking at one of our heifers that just had a calf, I can see how you could put her on feed to be finished out and still hang a good carcass, versus an older cow that could not be. So I think it is more of a feedlot and stock yard term, than referring to your breeding stock on the farm.

How bout, when does grass become hay? You cut the grass and the next day bail the hay. ? :lol:

RebelCritter":13tgbt55 said:
How bout, when does grass become hay? You cut the grass and the next day bail the hay. ? :lol:

If it's alive/still a plant it;s grass, after it;s cut it's hay.

dun

To be technically correct, a heifer becomes a cow after the bull dismounts and she's settled.

- - - - - - -
Men are not created equal because only one was created. All others since were procreated. Ask your momma.

Fred":2hpxj9lz said:
I think it's ok to use the term first calf heifer. Technically she's a cow but it lets someone know it is her first calf.

Do you think an experienced cattleman could tell by looking? If so, would it follow that cattle dabblers would have to be told?

Marlin Knight":m7sseqbf said:
Fred":m7sseqbf said:
I think it's ok to use the term first calf heifer. Technically she's a cow but it lets someone know it is her first calf.

Do you think an experienced cattleman could tell by looking? If so, would it follow that cattle dabblers would have to be told?
The people involved in the conversation may not be looking at the cattle at the time of conversation. Or one of the people involved in the conversation may not be an experienced cattleman.

Fred":2s4tgc97 said:
"..., but once she is bred and moved on we call her a Cow.

Do you remember the first time you heard or read somebody who characterized another's conniption, saying something like, "Don't tell mama. She'll have a cow."

Fred":2s4tgc97 said:
I Googled heiferettes and I guess it is a common term used by USDA, different Ag Colleges etc...."

Goverment bureaucrats and academic Ph.D'ers are often confused about the common reality. And what about the greater social construct and the idiotic word, "bachlorette"? In that sense, however awry with logic, why don't they call a heifer a 'steerette'?

In any case, some things -- in proper sexual context -- are instant, as when a bull becomes a steer.

Likewise, a heifer becomes a cow when her environmental depths of discontent are answered by the peculiar visitation of the little swimmers.

"And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived...,"

And the bull knew his cow and she conceived.

That's how it works. The Creator assigned to Pro-creators the fundamental task of fruitfulness. Eh? <grins>

- - - - - - - - - - -
"When excellence confronts mediocrity, the fire flies."

RebelCritter":1gcx0bxp said:

I'll assume that after the cutting it rained that night, like big time.

The people involved in the conversation may not be looking at the cattle at the time of conversation.

But I specifically alluded to an occasion when that was the case. Buyers look at cattle and see more than one may think.

Sellers should hang around buyers once in awhile, or others who're qualified to be called cattlemen.

Or one of the people involved in the conversation may not be an experienced cattleman.

That begs the question. Nevertheless, around some feed lots you'll hear the term, "heiferette" in reference to a cow and her first calf, usually a COW/CALF pair that's been culled from somebody's herd. As one would expect, at that point the price takes a hit as buyers mutter the term at the sale ring.

The question becomes, what's the evidence that moving a cow from brood stock to feed lot will be followed by good carcass data? Do buyers pay more attention to such records than sellers? Would an astute producer want his averages lowered in that regard, regardless of whether or not the animal's ADG was good? Would that same producer, for his own information, be interested in how the cow's calf fared through backgrounding and finishing, including its hot weight and cutter data?

- - - - - - - - -
"If a toad had wings he wouldn't bump his ass ever' time he hopped."

Ryder":o0u520oa said:
warpaint":o0u520oa said:
Think we got us another one Ryder! 8)
Yep!

I can remember playing cowboys and indians.

And we selected our whimsical names for emphasis. <grins>

But don't get so carried away that you take your hay baler into the creek to bail water. It's liable to rust. Also, a bail of water would be too heavy to lift. Besides all that, the strings would rot.

And I'm hoping we ain't talking a round baler. A water bail of that size would outweigh a dozen finished steers. Dang. That'd bend your John Deere bale spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts