Friendly Wager

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawgum

Reaction score
The wife and I have a wager going and we left it up to you all to settle. Just exactly when does a heifer become promoted to cow? She says after the second calf and I think otherwise.

Sawgum":gvud4rpt said:
Just exactly when does a heifer become promoted to cow? She says after the second calf and I think otherwise.
After a heifer has a calf she then becomes a cow.

the actual definition is a young femal bovine that has not had a calf.

I always call them cows after the first calf....

Father in law used to chuckle every time he heard someone say "first calf hiefer".
Said "danged city fellar don't know that once she drop a calf she done be a cow" "Calf took all the hiefer out'n her"

rbell":3hmziizi said:
Father in law used to chuckle every time he heard someone say "first calf hiefer".
Said "danged city fellar don't know that once she drop a calf she done be a cow" "Calf took all the hiefer out'n her"

This guy was making fun of someone else? Seriously?

never had a calf = heifer

ever had a calf = cow

Well, around here we have 2 year-old heifers and 3 year-old heifers and then we have cows. I guess it just depends on what part of the country you're in.

msscamp":3nv0x8zm said:
Well, around here we have 2 year-old heifers and 3 year-old heifers and then we have cows. I guess it just depends on what part of the country you're in.

Are you serious? Never heard that, anywhere,

If she's a mother, she's a cow.

Ok then...why is a animal that has had a calf and not being rebred called a heiferette.
Maiden...I like that term, sounds good, like my Maiden Aunt Clara; though it just doesn't sound right calling them maided cows. Guess I'll stick with heifer.

msscamp":1pgkbdd0 said:

I've heard that too. First calf heifers, second calf heifers, cows.

I think it's ok to use the term first calf heifer. Technically she's a cow but it lets someone know it is her first calf.

Fred":1xk5z06r said:
I think it's ok to use the term first calf heifer. Technically she's a cow but it lets someone know it is her first calf.
Me too Fred. Maybe it's a regional thing.
Had never heard of one of those heiferettes until some time back on this board. That was a new one on me. Have never heard it anywhere else either.

Fred":2lkvvbx5 said:

That has been when I have used this term, if someone is looking at her and her calf I might call her a first calf heifer, but once she is bred and moved on we call her a Cow.

I Googled heiferettes and I guess it is a common term used by USDA, different Ag Colleges etc....after surfing for a few minutes I got tired of reading and trying to figure out exactly what makes them a heiferette. But the info is out there if interested. But it did not show up as a word on my spell check so who knows.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... eiferettes

Status
Not open for further replies.