A less than friendly reminder

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Well it has been said on here a couple hundred times. Including comments by me. Always treat a bull with respect. On Saturday I went to pick up a bull that was rented out. Poor loading facilities but a young bull who has always been dog gentle. I went to load him like I would a 500 pound steer instead of a 2 year old bull. I got a quick reminder that this is not the way to handle a bull. He never got me down but had me against a fence. 4 or 5 good hits on my right thigh. I am lucky in that all I got was a good bruising. Not the first time a bull has hit me but the first time in years. I know better but it is the price for letting my guard down. So everyone remember always treat a bull with respect. They can turn from gentle to run you over in a heart beat.

Glad you are ok.

I get to complacent around our old bull. He's always been so easy to handle. We bought a yearling back in the fall and he's a pain in the rear. He'll try and run you over for a feed bucket. The breeder showed him a bit so he was used to being in people's space. I've bounced the bucket of his head a few times and he's getting better about staying back.

Glad to hear things weren't worse Dave. Thanks for the reminder, I always try to keep it my mind when around Bulls and my stallion what they are and what they can do. But especially around my stallion I find myself in a spot I no I shouldn't be. The fear level goes up for me when I have to load a bull, you and I don't bounce or move like we use to. Take care of the wounds and milk every bit of sympathy you can out of your girlfriend. :mrgreen:

Dave":2vtwgt3g said:
Well it has been said on here a couple hundred times. Including comments by me. Always treat a bull with respect. On Saturday I went to pick up a bull that was rented out. Poor loading facilities but a young bull who has always been dog gentle. I went to load him like I would a 500 pound steer instead of a 2 year old bull. I got a quick reminder that this is not the way to handle a bull. He never got me down but had me against a fence. 4 or 5 good hits on my right thigh. I am lucky in that all I got was a good bruising. Not the first time a bull has hit me but the first time in years. I know better but it is the price for letting my guard down. So everyone remember always treat a bull with respect. They can turn from gentle to run you over in a heart beat.

Thanks for the reminder.

Sorry your leg (and your ego) got beat up a bit.

Glad that you were not seriously hurt Dave.

I worked with several bulls this weekend at the bull sale, you can never let your guard down. I am not afraid to be handling them, but I never ever trust them. Especially the halter broke bulls. They have to maintain a certain amount of "fear" of you. I watch their eye and hope I can tell when their respect changes. They will get thumped just for "thinking about it."

I have leased out a few young bulls and I have noticed when I pick them up some of them will be a bit toe-ey when I load them from being seperated from their girls, especially if they have been seperated off for a while waiting for me to arrive. When you get hit up against a rail by a 2 yr old bull you usually stay hit. Glad the damage is not too severe, take it easy for a bit, often the bruising is worst around the 3rd day.
Ken

I'm glad you're okay. I try to remember to be cautious with bulls too, and I purely hate to go into a pen with two of them. You never know when they're going to start fighting, and if they do they certainly aren't watching where they're going or who they're running over.

It was prior to the internet that I last had a lot of involvement with cattle. Now that I'm back, I've been to several forums, and it's pretty frightening how many people there are out there now who think of their cattle in the same behavioral or emotional terms that they relate to puppies, kitties or small children. Often even a well meant warning to be careful of how their precious little pet calf may grow up to be dangerous because of the way in which they are handling it is met with a tirade of emotional retardation, as though you had suggested that their grandmother was an axe murderer. I predict an upswing of serious injury and death from cattle among these suburban transplants with a Disney mentality toward all animals. This seems to be one of the few cattle forums which is not dominated by soccer moms with unrealistic fantasies about country life, where people actually seem to think with their heads rather than their emotions.

Latest posts