Freezing water

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":2cqsyu79 said:
Does water under pressure freeze quicker than standing water?

Mike it really doesn't matter which freezes first. Example: When I lose my electricity, by morning the standing water in my automatic waterer will be frozen as well as the pressurized line feeding it. :lol:

Horseless":2im42g5r said:
MikeC":2im42g5r said:

Mike it really doesn't matter which freezes first. Example: When I lose my electricity, by morning the standing water in my automatic waterer will be frozen as well as the pressurized line feeding it. :lol:

Guess it doesn't really, but which do you think will freeze the quickest, water standing still or water under pressure?

Everything around us is under some sort of pressure, and you won't even need a lab setting to get your answer. You will need a coat. ;-)

If you are in a area with right conditions...you can take a walk along side a river to get your answer.

Narrow sections of a river, which are always under more pressure because of rapid movement of molecules freezes after a wider part of the river where the water flows more calm.

Easy and painless....except for the cold. :D

Now about that question on "what size container will hold $1 worth of gas?"

I'm just yanking your chain.... :lol:

MikeC":2kzd0stu said:
The only questions I have are the ones that I want to know the answers to.

Why don't we throw out some answers and then try to come up with the questions to them? :lol:

First answer:

Quart fruit jar.

My Filipino neighbor made watermelon pickles, in which she placed numerous jalapeno peppers, she than sealed the whole works in a ............... yep quart fruit jar!

About blew the top of my head off! :shock:

dun":25s4f5a7 said:
I'll take hillbilly dogs under the porch for a thousand Alex!

You've found the first Daily Double!

And the answer is:
hillbilly-dogs.jpg

Correct.

The next answer for your question: While you were out pooping in the yard for $500:

15084.jpg

Horseless":3n4twrw4 said:
MikeC":3n4twrw4 said:

Funny and true! :lol:

If pressure made a real difference sea level would have a different freezing temp then saw Denver.

well if you take the pressure away from water it boils, so if you put pressure on it, i would say yes it will freeze faster.

The temperature at which water is most dense is 4C. Water contracts as it approaches freezing then expands greatly once it hits 0C. It is why ice floats on lakes, oceans, etc rather than sink and destroy the ecosystem. The water at the bottom is not colder than 4C.

What would happen of course is that the pressure within the container
would increase by many powers of 10, but assume the container is strong
enough not to break. At first, if you kept the temperature at exactly 273.15
K (0 C.) the water would remain a liquid because the freezing point of ice
decreases slightly with increasing pressure. However, when the pressure
reached pressures of the order of 10^8 to 10^9 Pa., ice having a structure
different than "normal" ice would form. Ice has at least seven different
crystal structures depending upon the temperature and pressure.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/c ... m00379.htm

Hippie Rancher":36uu8pk2 said:
Moocow11":36uu8pk2 said:
well if you take the pressure away from water it boils, so if you put pressure on it, i would say yes it will freeze faster.

you would think, but deep ocean is not frozen although it is very cold :???:
Salt water will not freeze as fast.

Howdy,

You also need to take in account for the earth thermal temp of the water.

Water line buried 28" connected to a freeze proof hydrant, 3' hose, auto fill float, stock tank.

Sitting water in the stock tank will freeze first, cows drink, more thermal warmed water enters hydrant and hose. say around 60psi (maybe 40 degrees F)

I was just thinking when water boils at sea level it takes longer than when it boils at my farm which is 2200 ft above sea level.

Water boils quicker at that height and is not as hot as boiled water at sea level

So stands to reason that water's freezing point would be lower at sea level than at 2200 ft. Thats because the air pressure is higher at sea level

The river flowing faster is not really pheasable as movement obviously slows down freezing.

I think pressure may keep it from freezing as fast. I left an opened but recapped half a bottle of coke in the truck one night. Temp got down to 17 degrees. I got in the truck and noticed that the coke hadn;t frozen so I opened it to take a drink. As soon as I opened it, I heard that fizzy sound like you get when a bottle has been reopened and the coke instantly turned to a thick slush.

Pressure and heat are inversely related... Example:As you decrease the pressure, the water molecules heat up, just as when you increase pressure, the water molecules cool down. Heat in these circumstances is produced by the friction of the molecules as they collide with eachother... so, if you increase the pressure, the area for the molecules to travel is smaller, resulting in less collisions and therefore less heat.. If you decrease the pressure, then the area for molecules to travel increases resulting in more violent collisions which results in more heat. Take this for example: As most of us know, when a cow kicks, it hurts worse if she is at a full legs length away as opposed to being snugged up to her side. The potential energy of the cows kick changes as you move nearer or further away. The closer, the less violent and painful the kick is, as you move further away, the more violent and painful the kick becomes. The same is true with the water molecules. The reason adding salt to water makes it cooler, is because the chemical reaction between the hydrogen molecules in the water and the sodium molecules in the salt results in heat (energy) being pulled from the solution (the water) in order to break the bonds of the NaCl (salt). This is an exothermic reaction because the heat (energy) is pulled from the water resulting in the temperature decrease.

dun":3mv6tjn6 said:
I think pressure may keep it from freezing as fast. I left an opened but recapped half a bottle of coke in the truck one night. Temp got down to 17 degrees. I got in the truck and noticed that the coke hadn;t frozen so I opened it to take a drink. As soon as I opened it, I heard that fizzy sound like you get when a bottle has been reopened and the coke instantly turned to a thick slush.
Yea, and it don't get no better than that! :)

Latest posts