Freezing water

Help Support CattleToday:

Probably only if you don;t want it to. Like when you forget to drain a hose before a freeze.

dun":1kzxae35 said:
Probably only if you don;t want it to. Like when you forget to drain a hose before a freeze.

Come on Dun. I was wanting either a yes, no, or a statement like:

Water under 75 lbs. of pressure will freeze at 12 degrees F. 2.9974625 times as fast as water under no pressure. (something to that effect) :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I figured that's what you really wanted. But Murphys law seems to overcome science more often then not

dun":22zrx8ch said:
I figured that's what you really wanted. But Murphys law seems to overcome science more often then not

How true.

Murphy has been hanging out around here a lot lately. :lol:

MikeC":1oudxpfr said:
Murphy has been hanging out around here a lot lately. :lol:

He must really stack up the frequent flyer miles cause he's been helping me a lot lately too.

MikeC":3ug40iay said:
Does water under pressure freeze quicker than standing water?

Not that I am aware of. As you probably know, water cannot be compressed.

Pressure and vacuum make a huge difference in boiling water and we use the steam tables constantly to determine steam saturation etc. Never seen such tables for freezing. But, I truly don't know that answer to this question. Just can't imagine it would make a difference in freezing.

No scientific proof to back this up but I would say that water under pressure would freeze up slower. Reasoning is that water expands as it freezes and the pressure should inhibit this. But murphy will win in the end.

cfpinz

backhoeboogie":o7b6k6t6 said:
MikeC":o7b6k6t6 said:

Pressure and vacuum make a huge difference in boiling water and we use the steam tables constantly to determine steam saturation etc. Never seen such tables for freezing. But, I truly don't know that answer to this question. Just can't imagine it would make a difference in freezing.

Mike, You got me into the books. There is a difference. Looking at the bell curve, at sea level, if you pressurize water by approximately 75 psi, you will lower the freezing point about 1 degree C. I did not know that until I looked it up today.

backhoeboogie":11dflbmk said:
backhoeboogie":11dflbmk said:
MikeC":11dflbmk said:

Mike, You got me into the books. There is a difference. Looking at the bell curve, at sea level, if you pressurize water by approximately 75 psi, you will lower the freezing point about 1 degree C. I did not know that until I looked it up today.

Interesting. Thanks

Alright Mike - Do you just sit around thinking of questions to stump us on? We have very limited brain power to begin with and some of your questions are really TUFF on us!

Bullbuyer":2cteqrzk said:
Alright Mike - Do you just sit around thinking of questions to stump us on? We have very limited brain power to begin with and some of your questions are really TUFF on us!

The only questions I have are the ones that I want to know the answers to.

Why don't we throw out some answers and then try to come up with the questions to them? :lol:

First answer:

Quart fruit jar.

MikeC":2hox1jbb said:
Why don't we throw out some answers and then try to come up with the questions to them? :lol:

First answer:

Quart fruit jar.

It's like Jeopardy!

What is the proper container for moonshine?

dun":3kmornnk said:
MikeC":3kmornnk said:

First answer:

Quart fruit jar.

It's like Jeopardy!

Correct! :lol:

I have successfully hijacked my own thread! :roll:

dun":3fahq7zi said:
MikeC":3fahq7zi said:

First answer:

Quart fruit jar.

It's like Jeopardy!

So a half-gallon pickle jar is unacceptable?

Now what was the orginal questions? 8)

the answer is no. The temperature at which water freezes becomes lower......pressure forces molecules closer together and also produces heat.

Under the right conditions (placed in the freezer or in the ideal outside condition) you could test it and let us know tho.

Mike - What she is talking about is called freezing point suppression - the opposite would be boiling point elevation. Pressure has some impact but it would be minimal in a non-lab setting.

Now for the question:
Answer: Quart fruit jar.

Question: What size container will hold $1 worth of gas?

Also acceptable:

Question: If the average human brain is approx. one gallon in volume, what size container would be needed to store Corwder's brain?

cfpinz":l4vxoi5a said:
dun":l4vxoi5a said:
MikeC":l4vxoi5a said:

First answer:

Quart fruit jar.

It's like Jeopardy!

So a half-gallon pickle jar is unacceptable?

Is that with, or without the pickles? :lol:

Bullbuyer":392qlyc4 said:
Mike - What she is talking about is called freezing point suppression - the opposite would be boiling point elevation. Pressure has some impact but it would be minimal in a non-lab setting.

Now for the question:
Answer: Quart fruit jar.

Question: What size container will hold $1 worth of gas?

Also acceptable:

Question: If the average human brain is approx. one gallon in volume, what size container would be needed to store Corwder's brain?

Wrong. Perverted acts, and the memories of those acts, which can never be erased from memory are known to propel the cerebrum and cerebellum cells to expand infinitely.

I think he wears a size 14 1/4 hat. :lol:

Latest posts